PDA

View Full Version : Which chain saw???

BlazerRidge
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm looking at buying another chainsaw and I don't know enough about them as I would like to so I'm looking for whatever input you guys can give me. I already have a 14in Stihl but I need another one with a bigger bar due to the amount of tree work and cleanup I have been doing this year. I would like to have a 18-20'' bar and I don't want a piece of junk but I don't want to drop a load of cash either. I'm looking in the $300-400 range. I know husqvarna and stihl are good units but I don't know much else. :hammerhead:

dwmason
05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
I have a Echo CS370 that I really like. Have cut a lot of wood with this saw and still runs like new. Retail at a dealer should be from $269-299
Comes with a 16" bar

jwsland
05-30-2011, 10:48 PM
I have a 16" echo cs-330t climber saw, absolutley hate it. Unreliable, cheap construction, weak parts, lacks power. I also have a Husquavarna 372xp 24inch bar. I got it for an all around saw I can use for the random stuff us landscapers get calls for. Occasional tree jobs, clearings, debris and limb cleanups. It thought it was very reasonably price for how its performed over the years. Plenty of power and always reliable. It'll really throw some shavings with good sharpening!

grassman88
05-31-2011, 05:37 PM
i have a 16" husky and hate it im going to sell it only used a couple time its so under powered its not funny id go with stihl, it might just be a dud but i wont sell it to anyone using it to make money ill sell it to a homeowner in a yard sale or something lol ill use my pulan wallmart saw befor my husky

duranlandscaping
05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
I have a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. Great saw. I have an 18" bar on mine and it cuts great. When I got it I was going to get a MS 440 but my brother talked me into this one and I'm glad he did. Saved 200-300 and haven't looked back.

BlazerRidge
05-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I was looking at the husqvarna 455 rancher with either an 18 or 20 in bar. Anyone have any input on this saw?

BlazerRidge
05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Also I've found a stihl 034 av with a 20in bar for sale used. Is this a good saw or would I be better off buying new?

dgw
05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
I have a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. Great saw. I have an 18" bar on mine and it cuts great. When I got it I was going to get a MS 440 but my brother talked me into this one and I'm glad he did. Saved 200-300 and haven't looked back.

i have the same saw, its great

360 Lawn Service
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
I use the Husqvarna 450. Its a little lighter than the 455. This works great for an all around saw. I can drop trees and its still small enough to trim with. I paid around $315.00 with dealer discount.

jwsland
06-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Not sure on other brands but for the husqvarnas if they are xp's they are the profesional line. They cost more but have upgrades over non xp's.

bmac1996acc
06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
i have a 16" husky and hate it im going to sell it only used a couple time its so under powered its not funny id go with stihl, it might just be a dud but i wont sell it to anyone using it to make money ill sell it to a homeowner in a yard sale or something lol ill use my pulan wallmart saw befor my husky

If you got it at a big box store, chances are your Husqvarna saw IS a Poulan. Electolux owns them both and the homeowner model saws are Poulans with orange plastic. My Husqvarna 365 Special (new model is the 570), however, is no crappy Poulan.

http://montana20021.tripod.com/electrolux/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_AB

http://www.electrolux.com/node259.aspx

4 seasons lawn&land
06-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Also I've found a stihl 034 av with a 20in bar for sale used. Is this a good saw or would I be better off buying new?

thats what i have. An 80's one. Kicks A$$!:weightlifter:

lyndont
06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I have a ms290 and it will drop some good sized trees but I use my 250 the most because it is a lot lighter but has a decent amount of power. I liked the look of the 211 but the dealer pointed out that the chain on those was a lot less aggressive and for a little more money the 250 is a better deal. I think he was right. I love mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheOctagon
06-02-2011, 12:18 AM
I would see if you have a dealer in the area who sells dolmar. I am a dealer for them and they are great saws. Less known than stihl and husqvarna but are built of the same caliber. Look at a 510 or 5105 which are both great pro grade saws that you can pick up for a decent price. Worth looking for in my opinion.

If you dont mind used.... Look for a stihl ms361.

wimpy
06-02-2011, 12:36 AM
If you got it at a big box store, chances are your Husqvarna saw IS a Poulan. Electolux owns them both and the homeowner model saws are Poulans with orange plastic. My Husqvarna 365 Special (new model is the 570), however, is no crappy Poulan.

http://montana20021.tripod.com/electrolux/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_AB

http://www.electrolux.com/node259.aspx

This is not true. Electrolux used to own Husqvarna years ago. Husqvarna is their own company and haven been for years. There are many models at the box stores that are not Poulans.

RIlawns
06-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Husqvarna 359 hands down your best options. Any of the new 450 455 saws are mostly plactic... under the exhaust etc. The 359 will run 16 to 24" bar no problem. Great all around reliable saw. I've had mine for 6 years and never and issue. Just remember to drain the fuel when your not going to use it for more than a week and she'll treat you good. Lots of good used ones on ebay, just bought one with no compression for 25 bucks... OEM cylinder kit 175.00 on ebay.. brand new saw for less than 250. You can't beat it for a general purpose all around saw.

For comparison... check out you tube stihl vs husqvarna air intake.. watch the vid and you'll be sold.

Good luck

JD

lawnpro724
06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
If you want a great saw get a Jonsered. I have used their 2050 saws for years and they are by far the best saws I and several friends have ever used. Efco saws are also very good but they are heavy.

Green Industry Pro
06-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Stilh and Husqvarna are the best. I can't give you an opinion based on first hand experience, but everyone around where I live seems to prefer Stihl. Just a cool side note, my grandpa still has an old Sears Craftsman chainsaw from the 1970s, it still runs and we use it occasionally on small jobs. They don't make stuff how they used to :/

GOD BLESS AMERICA

jwsland
06-03-2011, 11:05 PM
http://youtu.be/Rztm0HM9XzE interesting but doesn't mean everything when buying a saw.

I will say the top two are stihl and husq. More seem to prefer stihl from what I've found.

GrandMaster
06-05-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm looking at buying another chainsaw and I don't know enough about them as I would like to so I'm looking for whatever input you guys can give me. I already have a 14in Stihl but I need another one with a bigger bar due to the amount of tree work and cleanup I have been doing this year. I would like to have a 18-20'' bar and I don't want a piece of junk but I don't want to drop a load of cash either. I'm looking in the $300-400 range. I know husqvarna and stihl are good units but I don't know much else. :hammerhead:

Sthil only for saws!!!! The farm boss ms290 would be great for your needs.:weightlifter:

joee0914
06-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Sthil only for saws!!!! The farm boss ms290 would be great for your needs.:weightlifter:

I have to agree... The farm boss is amazing. I have a 20" bar and it cant be stopped. Well worth the money.

Lugnut
06-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I would suggest going for the used 034...Stihls are great saws, I've got 4 of them and haven't had one problem except for the pull cord on my climbing saw which I bought used anyway

ELS LLC
06-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Stihl . They are the best. Have an older 056 unstoppable.

alanauer
08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Sounds like you don't need another saw as much as you need a longer bar/chain for yours. You get most wear-out in the chain, so buying another is almost like buying gas and oil for it. A bar doesn't last forever either, nor does the drive sprocket. So just get some extras and you can convert your saw from limbing to felling. Stihls last a long time, and are easy to change things on at the work-site.

bobcat48
08-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Stihl:weightlifter:

orourke15
08-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Check out Jonsered if you have any dealers in the area. Jonsered is the same company as Husqvarna just all commercial grade. And more reasonable than Stihl commercial grade. I have a 2165(65cc) and 2152(52cc) and love them both. I also have an 026 Stihl and 011 Stihl arborist saw and prefer the Jonsered saws anyday!

JCLawn and more
08-23-2011, 11:24 AM
I have a dolmar 6400. It has a 20inch bar and it runs awesome. Honestly I think dolmar has the best made saws out there. Very minimal plastic on it. Mine was $600 but if your looking 18inch you should find one in your price range. Dolmar only makes commercial equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

jwsland
09-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Check out Jonsered if you have any dealers in the area. Jonsered is the same company as Husqvarna just all commercial grade. And more reasonable than Stihl commercial grade. I have a 2165(65cc) and 2152(52cc) and love them both. I also have an 026 Stihl and 011 Stihl arborist saw and prefer the Jonsered saws anyday!

Didn't know that. I was under the impresion that any husqvarna "XP" models were commercial/profesional grade.

jbturf
09-05-2011, 08:13 PM
what are the advantages/disadvantages to the chain sizes?
seems .325 and 3/8 are most common

pro-interlock
09-05-2011, 08:15 PM
We have bought a lot of different brand chain saws and the best are stihl and echo.

KrayzKajun
09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
My 3main saws are a Husky 455 Rancher w/20" bar, Husky 235 w/ 14" bar and an Echo CS370 w/16" bar. Plan to add a nice Stihl ths winter
Posted via Mobile Device

LindblomRJ
09-06-2011, 03:11 AM
I have a husky 141 with a 14" bar. It is ok. Not the best husky. The other I have a 460 Rancher with a 20" bar. That is a fun saw to run.

alanauer
09-06-2011, 10:41 AM
I've used a half-dozen bargain gas ones. All junked after one fitful season each. But two kinds turned out to be good deals.

1. I bought four new electrics @ $50. I run them from an extension cord to an inverter connected to a truck or tractor battery. For light work they're light, quiet, simple. It was good to know one of them was there when the gas one wouldn't start. After six years of considerable use, all but one (that I scavanged for parts) are still working like new.

2. For heavier work, I bought a Stihl (two because one was stolen). Sold only at authorized dealers. Costly; best I could do was a couple of free chains.

Always starts, hot or cold, all seasons (if you follow directions, won't if you don't). Basic maintenance (chain adusting, dissembly for cleaning, caps off/on, bar & chain switch) easy to do in the field without tools.

They work forever, so on my second I got extra chains and an extra bar, sprocket, plug. I install a short bar/chain for working up a tree. Learned the hard way to replace the sprocket (one-minute job) after every 3 new chains. Learn how to service the bar as well as the chain.

The documentation is not as user-friendly as the saw. The manual that comes with it manages to hide what you need to know, and tells you everything you don't need to know in multiple languages. The info on a chain box is incomprehensible. So spend some time with the dealer, and ask for a copy of the excellent "Stihl Maintenance and Safety Manual" (covers the chain, bar, sprocket).

jvanvliet
09-06-2011, 03:06 PM
I haveowned a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss for over seven years, no problems, a little underpowered on hardwoods but performs extremely well overall. Iit's a little too big for trim jobs. You might want to look at a ms190 or 200. I have one of each, the MS200 has a overhand grip which makes it great for trimming and it has enough power to handle the big stuff & hardwoods (16" blade). Costs a little more but worth the money.

Ben's Landscape
09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
not sure if you bought one but i just bought a 450 husqvarna it was a piece of junk after about 15x of cutting(we had a storm in NE hurricane irene) the oiler stoped working, would stall randomly and be like 6 pulls to restart it.

I returned it have to say Tractor Supply is really good about that. I upgraded to the 455 Rancher with the 20 in bar that saw is great! fast, reliable, runs great. has the 3/8 chain wich my 450 had a 3/16 chain so its heavyer, nicer features on it.

If you go with husqvarna definatly turn up your oil pump. this is very simple to do just turn a screw on the bottom of the saw. I did that just so that i now the bar and chain are getting more than enough oil. Also it will prolong the life of both the chain and bar. Good luck.