PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating our military

StanWilhite
05-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Hope everyone is having a good weekend, and remembering what this day is for.

My oldest son is a captain in the Air Force and Memorial Day (along with other things) means a lot more to me now than it used to. I always appreciated the military, but it sure brings it closer to home when an immediate family member is serving.

So let me say a big THANK YOU! to all of the people serving to keep this country the leader of the free world. We may not always agree with the things that are done from time to time, but we should be mindful and grateful for the people who have signed up knowing they, like so many others, may have to pay the ultimate price.

Like the lyrics of the song, "All gave some....some gave all".

GMLC
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Thank your son for me. It really does take a special person to serve. I appreciate all that serve this great country!!
Posted via Mobile Device

thelawnman
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
At the beach they had 21 gun salute today for all who died and a boat was set out to sea with a memorial on it for all who died fighting for us.

StanWilhite
05-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Thank your son for me. It really does take a special person to serve. I appreciate all that serve this great country!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I sure will GMLC. The older I get the more I appreciate things like people in the military. Well, I guess I could say, I appreciate things in general more than I did in my younger days. Guess we learn not to be so self centered as we age.

Sammy
05-30-2011, 09:43 PM
At the beach they had 21 gun salute today for all who died and a boat was set out to sea with a memorial on it for all who died fighting for us.

Now that is what today is about.

Some people don't understand and think that today is too honer the living. :hammerhead:

thelawnman
05-30-2011, 09:47 PM

Some people don't understand and think that today is too honer the living. :hammerhead:

You are right sammy. Me and all my buds were out on are bodyboards watching it. As the boat was going out a chopper drop a wreath.

SouthSide Cutter
05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
My Dad is 87. A few years back we took him to the WW2 Memorial and wanted his old tank buddy to meet us there. He was from Long Island NY. He told us he couldn't drive and had no way to get there. So we told him to stay put and we would drive up. We never told Dad of this. They hadn't seen each other for 64 years. After going to the WW2 Memorial we went to Arlington National Cemetery, if you haven't been you need to go.
Almost 500,000 men lost their lives in WW2. They were both lucky to make it home. They told stories that Dad didn't ever tell. And they were not to good either. When we left I told my brother they wont see each other again Mac died the next year. One of the reasons we wanted to make this trip. Mac sent dad a letter and on the outside of the letter it read Dear Mr Postman see that this letter gets thru. This man drove me all over Germany and got me home alive. They were just kids when they were there, they were just 19.

loneryder
05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
:usflag:My Dad is 87. A few years back we took him to the WW2 Memorial and wanted his old tank buddy to meet us there. He was from Long Island NY. He told us he couldn't drive and had no way to get there. So we told him to stay put and we would drive up. We never told Dad of this. They hadn't seen each other for 64 years. After going to the WW2 Memorial we went to Arlington National Cemetery, if you haven't been you need to go.
Almost 500,000 men lost their lives in WW2. They were both lucky to make it home. They told stories that Dad didn't ever tell. And they were not to good either. When we left I told my brother they wont see each other again Mac died the next year. One of the reasons we wanted to make this trip. Mac sent dad a letter and on the outside of the letter it read Dear Mr Postman see that this letter gets thru. This man drove me all over Germany and got me home alive. They were just kids when they were there, they were just 19.

Southside,
Awesome story. My 88 yr old Dad is still alive and worked in a hospital set up in England for D-Day. I'm in the DC area and most yrs participate in Rolling Thunder. The weekend they dedicated that WWII memorial there were a lot of old vets all over town. I'm a VietNam vet and everyone was going up to the old guys and thanking them for the great lives we've had. Talk about a tear filled day!!!
Tonight I watched a special on the VietNam war and now I'm depressed. Brought back a lot of memories and some stuff I didn't know. What a waste of young men!
This is the day when all of us need to think about it...however briefly... and be thankful for the good lives we all have had.
Thanks for sharing that great story!

StanWilhite
06-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Sammy, I do understand that "Memorial Day" is to honor the "fallen"....hence the word "Memorial".

But I also feel that it is only right to make mention of the people in the military that may be on that list of "the fallen" tomorrow.

Just my opinion.

Stan