PDA

View Full Version : hedge trimmers

dothelawn
10-13-2002, 09:59 AM
Good morning. I am looking for some input on hedge trimmers.

I'm considering a Stihl HS80 or a Husky 225H60. Both have similar features, like a 24" blade and swivel rear handle, and both run about $350.

Any feelings on these units, or others that I maybe haven't thought about?

Thanks a lot.

65hoss
10-13-2002, 10:05 AM
I have the Stihl trimmers. They are really nice and have great power. As with anything with the Stihl name on it, it is a very quality piece.

odin
10-13-2002, 10:11 AM
We have the stihl its tough and goes a good job .Had it since 97 not one breakdown.
The only negative is it is heavy it will get ya tired after a long day.Its like trimming hedges with a chainsaw .
That price seems a good price to we give that much back in 97

LLMSERVICE
10-13-2002, 10:53 AM
I have the Husquvarna you speak of and really enjoy it.

The rear swivel handle is a great option as is the double blade.

My only two complaints - and they are minor- is that it can take a few cranks to cold start (its been like that since new) and I would prefer a longer blade

However, its been a good moneymaker for me.

I have some stihl products and you're in good hands with either brand if they are comparably priced..

Doc Pete
10-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by dothelawn
Good morning. I am looking for some input on hedge trimmers.

I'm considering a Stihl HS80 or a Husky 225H60. Both have similar features, like a 24" blade and swivel rear handle, and both run about $350.

Any feelings on these units, or others that I maybe haven't thought about?

Thanks a lot.

FWIW,
Take a look at this older post on Hedge trimmers. To be exact look at my pcitures on the Echo 2400 mid-shaft edge trimmer. Pictures are worth a thousand words. The 2400 is the same price as the other machines you are looking at. However, by the pictures anyone that uses a hedge trimmer on a regular basis, and even those that do not. can see by the pictures a shaft trimmer can do 10 times the job of what you are looking at. Also, the motor is behind you so you don't get exhaust in your face, Also, it is balanced completely different so you don't stress your forearm muscles. Also, it has a much longer reach so you don't stress your back muscles. Also, it allows you do low shrub without having to bend down or over.
Plain and simple, regardless whether or not you by the Echo brand, a "mid-shaft" machine is so much better than a "chainsaw" style of trimmer it is unthinkable to consider the other alternative. Here is the post website:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33491&perpage=20&highlight=Hedge%20trimmers&pagenumber=2
Pete

Ray&Christine
10-13-2002, 11:55 AM
I have a Stihl HS 80, it is heavy as said before but will quickly cut through almost anything. I have a problem with mine when it gets hot outside, it stalls and is hard to start unless it sits to cools down for about 10 minutes, in cool weather it works fine. I was talking to another member of Lawnsite he has the exact same problem. I guess it could be possible that only the Canadian models have this problem, since I have not heard anyone else complain about this before.

Ray

Roger
10-13-2002, 03:33 PM
I have Stihl HS85 hedge trimmer, and like it. It has been trouble-free over three seasons. It took a long time to learn to use for greatest productivity. My previous trimmer was a B & D electric, so it was a huge step.

They are heavy and I had to learn to manage my time with them. I'm not a brute, but am old, and try to work more wisely than with strength. The rotating handle is a must for any gas-powered trimmer. They make the work easier and allow better control of the machine.

Late this Summer I bought an attachment for my Stihl FS85 string trimmer. It is a 24" double reciprocating trimmer that replaces the trimmer head. This was a huge time saver for shearing Canadian hemlock trees, 9-12 ft. I've struggled with ladders and scaffolding on yew trees, and other large shrubs that I know I can trim much more quickly next season. After a couple of jobs, the $129 investment paid for itself in time. And, the quality of result was much improved.

Roger
10-13-2002, 03:53 PM
I have Stihl HS85 hedge trimmer, and like it. It has been trouble-free over three seasons. It took a long time to learn to use for greatest productivity. My previous trimmer was a B & D electric, so it was a huge step.

They are heavy and I had to learn to manage my time with them. I'm not a brute, but am old, and try to work more wisely than with strength. The rotating handle is a must for any gas-powered trimmer. They make the work easier and allow better control of the machine.

Late this Summer I bought an attachment for my Stihl FS85 string trimmer. It is a 24" double reciprocating trimmer that replaces the trimmer head. This was a huge time saver for shearing Canadian hemlock trees, 9-12 ft. I've struggled with ladders and scaffolding on yew trees, and other large shrubs that I know I can trim much more quickly next season. After a couple of jobs, the $129 investment paid for itself in time. And, the quality of result was much improved.

General Grounds
10-13-2002, 05:08 PM
:blob3: ray, change your coil and stalling and starting problem will go away, tony

eslawns
10-13-2002, 07:22 PM
I just picked up the Husky model in your post last Wednesday. I haven't had a chance to do any serious work with it yet, but it was great on the few shrubs at my house. I have 3 large jobs to do this week. I should know more by then.

dothelawn
10-13-2002, 07:52 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I am going to pick up a used HS80 off of ebay for $250 incld. shipping. It looks really, really clean from the pictures, and the guy appears to be making a living off of selling used chainsaws, etc. His feedback is about 100% positive. I figure if it's in as good a shape as it appears to be, the $100+ savings can go towards something else. Plus, being a homeowner, I should get many seasons out of it.

Thanks again.

dothelawn
10-21-2002, 07:18 PM
Hi guys. I bought the used HS80 over ebay, but I'm not sure if it's running right. Before I tell the seller it's heading back to him, please tell me how the thing is supposed to operate. I received no user's manual. I refuse to put any more $ into it to make it work. It was supposed to be in good running condition.

First off, I put gas in it and it did crank up after a few pulls with the choke set, but when I pull the trigger it stalls and stalls and stalls. I figured out that the lever on the handle engages the blades and it almost seemed like it had some effect on the throttle. Beats me. I'm used to pulling the trigger and having a machine rev up. Isn't the hedge trimmer supposed to do that too?

Also, how is the choke lever on the handle supposed to work? You can put in choke with the trigger depressed, but when I switch it to non-choke, it stalls.

Would somebody who owns one of these, please tell me if this sounds like a healthy machine?

Thanks a lot.

The Lawn Choupique
10-21-2002, 07:26 PM
I have a weedeater hedge trimmer that I bought at Lowes. Anything that it can not handle I use my Poulan chain saw on, that I also purchased at Lowes.

mowngrow
10-22-2002, 07:11 PM
as far as hedge trimmers go.... stihl, stihl, stihl you cant go wrong with that name on hedge trimmers