PDA

View Full Version : Kubota and John Deere Decks and Cuts

kubotafan
05-30-2011, 10:23 PM
I am shopping for a zero turn and the most convenient in my area would be Kubota or John Deere. How does the cut compare between a Kubota Pro Fabricated deck and the John Deere Pro deck. I do like the idea of the mulch on demand John Deere deck but like the Kubota diesel too. I don't want to go any heavier than I have too and the Kubota might be slightly less but not enough to make a difference. Likely be a 920 Deere or a 221 Kubota. I like the Walker Mowers too but the dealer is almost two hours away and they are not common in this area. I would like to try one but hate to have a dealer come this far to demo and I am busy enough I don't really have the time to go there.

weeze
05-30-2011, 10:52 PM
you are gonna get different opinions but nothing cuts as good as a deere....i'm sure the kubota cut is fine though but i don't have any experience with them...the cut on my z920a is flawless...here's a vid

you can fast forward to 3:30 to get a good view of how it cuts

cQnjH1kEPtI

K-OS
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
To be honest I never tried the Kubota zturns. I have an 820 and a 925 John Deere as well as a Kubota 3060 frontal. Hands down, John Deere wins with the mulch on demand deck. Fall has never been so easy since I have those JD tractors. Cut quality is outstanding. I can't say that it is a perfect machine, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Dan
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
05-31-2011, 12:28 AM
I agree with JasonsLawnCare1.
It's really hard to beat the cut quality of the Deere ZTR's, or their L&G tractors for that matter.

This is a shot of part of my back yard after cuting it with my Z720A w/60" 7 Iron II deck last week. No stripe kit either. Just the cut the mower does by itself. I cut at 3", and took off about 3" to get these results here-
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Gun4Fun/Tractor%20pics/100_1296.jpg

grassman177
05-31-2011, 01:07 AM
i will say i think the john deere deck seems to really perform well. i have never mowed with one though, but have years and 1000s of hrs on kubotas.

they will not let you down, and really have a great cut, but it does not do the best in very wet conditions as it is heavy, and remember we are using diesels though.

the deck will clog up in wet conditions while the jd will really not be affected that much.

you would not be wrong on either, but choose the things that are the most important for you .

right now while not in very heavy growth our kubotas are mowing fatastic and fast

johndeeretech09
05-31-2011, 01:42 AM
the new 7iron pro decks are unbeatable. being a stamped deck there are no sharp corners or places for wet grass to clog up. the 7iron will out perform any deck out there. get the deere.

tuffram
05-31-2011, 08:17 AM
It really depends on your needs if you are looking for superior cut in any condition possible (very very wet tall grass) get the deer if you are looking for a good cut in mostly dry conditions get the Kubota. If you are looking to buy a ztr that will give you years and years of superior dependability and trouble free get the Kubota. I have just started in the last week helping a local friend of mine with some of his accounts mostly I just help him rough cut some large church property he is running 2 deer 900 series both have the 7 iron decks I will admit I have had some mixed feelings about deer products but after looking at them they seem to be made well however we compared my zg222 to his A910 and the zg222 is hands down built better than the deer.

Ridin' Green
05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
It really depends on your needs if you are looking for superior cut in any condition possible (very very wet tall grass) get the deer if you are looking for a good cut in mostly dry conditions get the Kubota. If you are looking to buy a ztr that will give you years and years of superior dependability and trouble free get the Kubota. I have just started in the last week helping a local friend of mine with some of his accounts mostly I just help him rough cut some large church property he is running 2 deer 900 series both have the 7 iron decks I will admit I have had some mixed feelings about deer products but after looking at them they seem to be made well however we compared my zg222 to his A910 and the zg222 is hands down built better than the deer.

I am a Deere fan, and will readily admit that, but when plunking down my hard earned cash in the amounts necessary to buy great, relaible, and well made equipment, I am not brand loyal if there's something better I can buy.

Before I bought my Deere ZTR, I checked out several other brands including Kubota. They make nice machines for sure, and I wouldn't complain over having to own one (at least where ZTR's are concerned, but would never chose one of their compact ut's over a Deere- never), but after checking them out for a while, I decided on the Deere, and don't regret it. There's no way anyone can honestly say that one is vastly superior to the other, but there are differences, and no one in his right mind who isn't being brand loyal or just plain doesn't care for Deere can say that the Kubota is better made when comparing them to current Deere ZTR's, cause it simply ain't so. The new Deere ZTR's are very well made/stoutly constructed.

Besides, the green and yellow paint goes good on a lawn, and I ain't ever seen orange foilage that was natural (at least of the lawn care type:p)

205mx
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
I have both man! both are ZTR's
If you get the Kubota, you will be EXTREMELY stoked.
If you get the Deere, you will be EXTREMELY stoked.
I honestly do not prefer either of my mowers to the other. im not brand loyal at all. i love them both.( i can say i prefer them both over the BobCat i once demoed). I like them and they mow as good or better than the Scag. i do like the wet clutch and hydro deck lift on the Kubota though....

mowerbrad
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
DEMO DEMO DEMO

I can tell you the my John Deere mowers have the best cut out there, but for you to know if it really does work for you or not, you really need to try the machine out first. John Deere does have a very nice mowing deck and I don't think you will be disappointed with their performance.

tuffram
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Not that much difference in cut quality in my opinion. The Kubota is overall better made machine heaver material thicker frame hydro lift deck shaft driven buy whichever one you can get the best price on you will not be disappointed with either of them.

205mx
05-31-2011, 05:30 PM
I 100% agree with the above poster.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-31-2011, 05:34 PM
you are gonna get different opinions but nothing cuts as good as a deere....i'm sure the kubota cut is fine though but i don't have any experience with them...the cut on my z920a is flawless...here's a vid

you can fast forward to 3:30 to get a good view of how it cuts

cQnjH1kEPtI

Not to knock you but holy mother of god could you go much slower? In the time you made two circles around the front I would have been done cutting and already trimming. ;)

kubotafan
05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Not to knock you but holy mother of god could you go much slower? In the time you made two circles around the front I would have been done cutting and already trimming. ;)

Is that with a Kubota? :laugh:

kubotafan
05-31-2011, 06:17 PM
How well do cuts compare when cutting back and forth. One pass will blow the grass on uncut lawn and the next pass will have to cut where the grass was blown. Does this affect the cut quality? How well do the clippings spread?

kubotafan
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Not that much difference in cut quality in my opinion. The Kubota is overall better made machine heaver material thicker frame hydro lift deck shaft driven buy whichever one you can get the best price on you will not be disappointed with either of them.

Comparing weights there doesn't look to be much difference between the Kubota's and the John Deere's. They must be comparably built.

weeze
05-31-2011, 06:27 PM

yeah it had been 3 weeks since i cut the yard in the video and it was pretty thick...hard to tell on the video...but centipede grass is a really thick grass....plus i wasn't in a big hurry since that was the only yard i had to cut that day lol.

i generally don't go that fast on smaller yards like that one...i only go fast on the bigger wide open yards....i don't like to be rushed or be in a hurry...i take my time and do a good job and work at my own pace...that's why i got into lawn care so i could work how i wanted to work and be on my own time schedule.

ProStreetCamaro
05-31-2011, 07:00 PM
yeah it had been 3 weeks since i cut the yard in the video and it was pretty thick...hard to tell on the video...but centipede grass is a really thick grass....plus i wasn't in a big hurry since that was the only yard i had to cut that day lol.

i generally don't go that fast on smaller yards like that one...i only go fast on the bigger wide open yards....i don't like to be rushed or be in a hurry...i take my time and do a good job and work at my own pace...that's why i got into lawn care so i could work how i wanted to work and be on my own time schedule.

Ok I gotcha. We don't cut that type of grass here. All of our grass is fescue. Does that lawn have much of a backyard? If the back is about the same size as the front that is a $20 to $25 lawn in our area.

I have to knock them out in volume to make any money with the low prices around here. I showed up in a neighborhood this morning at 7am that we have 8 lawns on one block. I was pulling away at 9:15. That is about 17 minutes each to cut, trim and blow off and that included stopping to talk for a minute to 2 customers wanting to know how my dad was doing. Went 3 blocks over and did one then 2 blocks and did 1 then 10 minutes up the street and did 2 then 5 minutes away another 2 then another 2 minutes and did 1 and was burning up by then so I headed home at 12 and had 15 done. Heat index today of 105. :cry:

LawnCareNoobie
05-31-2011, 10:58 PM
How well do cuts compare when cutting back and forth. One pass will blow the grass on uncut lawn and the next pass will have to cut where the grass was blown. Does this affect the cut quality? How well do the clippings spread?

7 Iron Deck does a very good job at spreading the clippings. That's another thing that's a plus with the deck. I'm not sure about the Kubota deck, but the 7 Iron has a pretty wide discharge opening and even with the chute flap down it spreads well. In most cases I find that it does a better job with dispersal of clippings with it down than up.

As far as diesel goes, I can't understand why Deere doesn't add a smaller diesel option in their lineup. They have one which is the 997 with the 31 hp Yanmar (beast). They have smaller Yanmars in their machines, they need to add it to a z-track.

grassman177
05-31-2011, 11:11 PM
i like how they say the 7 iron is totally stamped , but it has front baffles which create corners and are not stamped. i mean, only a nit picking little thing i find funny. it does however help with buildup and flow no doubt for the stamped parts of the cutting chamber

weeze
05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Ok I gotcha. We don't cut that type of grass here. All of our grass is fescue. Does that lawn have much of a backyard? If the back is about the same size as the front that is a $20 to $25 lawn in our area.

I have to knock them out in volume to make any money with the low prices around here. I showed up in a neighborhood this morning at 7am that we have 8 lawns on one block. I was pulling away at 9:15. That is about 17 minutes each to cut, trim and blow off and that included stopping to talk for a minute to 2 customers wanting to know how my dad was doing. Went 3 blocks over and did one then 2 blocks and did 1 then 10 minutes up the street and did 2 then 5 minutes away another 2 then another 2 minutes and did 1 and was burning up by then so I headed home at 12 and had 15 done. Heat index today of 105. :cry:

at the end of the video it has 3 pics...the first is the front yard and the second is the backyard..third is the side of the house...i get $40 for the yard and it takes about 45min....the yard is about 1/3 acre or so...most of the yards i do are bigger than this one....a full day for me is about 5 yards or so...some are big as 3 acres and my smallest is a commercial lot by the highway that takes 10min to cut lol.

jslawncare22
06-05-2011, 02:41 PM
my deere ate threw this like it was a well manicured lawn

johndeeretech09
06-05-2011, 02:57 PM
my deere ate threw this like it was a well manicured lawn

the 757's are awesome!! have you had any head troubles with it yet?

jslawncare22
06-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I bought it used the guy I got it from took reel good care of it and I will do the same I hope I don't have any trouble out of it . I am planing on a rebuild this winter I don't see where it would hurt this mower is a beast I won't to demo a 950a with mulching seen one at the dealer the other day its a beast
Posted via Mobile Device

johndeeretech09
06-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I bought it used the guy I got it from took reel good care of it and I will do the same I hope I don't have any trouble out of it . I am planing on a rebuild this winter I don't see where it would hurt this mower is a beast I won't to demo a 950a with mulching seen one at the dealer the other day its a beast
Posted via Mobile Device

make sure you clean out those cooling fins. if you dont, the valves will seize in the guids and you will have to replace the heads. ive had to do that in about a dozen machines. keep the fins clean and you will have problems.

jslawncare22
06-05-2011, 03:14 PM
make sure you clean out those cooling fins. if you dont, the valves will seize in the guids and you will have to replace the heads. ive had to do that in about a dozen machines. keep the fins clean and you will have problems.

Cooling fins ? Where the located ? I try to clean mower every day blow out dirt & grass in all the nooks & crannys I can't aford to replace that motor
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
06-05-2011, 03:17 PM
He's referring to the fins on the engine head and block that provide surface area for cooling. Part of them are under the engine shroud, and they can get plugged pretty badly if you don't blow off the engine after use. I blow mine off after EVERY use to prevent any trouble. It only takes a second to do, so why not?

johndeeretech09
06-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Cooling fins ? Where the located ? I try to clean mower every day blow out dirt & grass in all the nooks & crannys I can't aford to replace that motor
Posted via Mobile Device

well there are some heat shields around the cylinder heads. thats where the spark plugs thread in to. if you find those heat shields on both sides, removed the rear bolt that holds them on and just bend them out of the way a bit. i use an air compressor to blow them out. i run the engine at about half throttle when im doing it too. the blow gun breaks all the grass free and the engine cooling fan helps blow the grass out. hope that makes snese. if not i can upload some pics to help.

johndeeretech09
06-05-2011, 03:24 PM
He's referring to the fins on the engine head and block that provide surface area for cooling. Part of them are under the engine shroud, and they can get plugged pretty badly if you don't blow off the engine after use. I blow mine off after EVERY use to prevent any trouble. It only takes a second to do, so why not?

good job! ya its takes around $500-$600 to do a head job. if you are interested i can send you a part number for a screen that goes in front of the engine to keep the grass out. the screen is a $300 kit, but i guarenty you that you will never have grass in the fins again. i have put a few on and have checked them after about a month of mowing and they were clear. if you have seen the radiator screen on the liquid cooled 777 and 797, this screen is just like it, but for the 737 and 757. let me know.

Ridin' Green
06-05-2011, 03:30 PM
My current ZTR is a new Z720A with the 25 Kohler Command Pro. So far, I am quite pleased with it, but it is still new, so we'll see. Is there any type of screen kit for this machine yet? If so, would you post the part #? Thanks

jslawncare22
06-05-2011, 03:35 PM
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just started my bizz and i cant afford no brake downs but if some thing dose happen i have a rider ands a couple push mowers. you got to always have a back up plan

Thanks again for the advice im going rite now to check the fins on the motor

johndeeretech09
06-05-2011, 05:23 PM
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just started my bizz and i cant afford no brake downs but if some thing dose happen i have a rider ands a couple push mowers. you got to always have a back up plan

Thanks again for the advice im going rite now to check the fins on the motor

ya not a problem! if you need anything else, dont be afraid to ask!

johndeeretech09
06-05-2011, 05:29 PM
My current ZTR is a new Z720A with the 25 Kohler Command Pro. So far, I am quite pleased with it, but it is still new, so we'll see. Is there any type of screen kit for this machine yet? If so, would you post the part #? Thanks

those things are a good machine and should treat you well. as of right now there is no screen availble. if i remember right those things have a screen attached to the flywheel, like all do, and a lager screen bolted to the shroud. if this is the case, i have suggested to people before to take some screen from a screen door and use some mechanics wire and fasten it to the larger screen. that should help alot. and the fins on those new mowers dont get clogged hardly at all due to the engine laying down in the frame instead of standing up like the old ones.

jslawncare22
06-14-2011, 09:28 PM
i have tried every thing i know of to lay down a nice stripe just cant do it i have place a piece of a old car tire across the back of deck & adjustest the deck pitch droped the front 3/8" lower than what it was not sure what the deck is supposed to be set at i bought it used and i can not find a owners manual i see all you guys laying down nice stripes with a Deere and i cant do it to save my life any suggestions ?

tuffram
06-14-2011, 09:44 PM
It is all about the type of grass. Most of the northern grasses stripe such as KBG long broad leaf grasses stripe the best and the cutting height 3 to 4 inches and watering schedule plays a major factor in striping.

mowerbrad
06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
i have tried every thing i know of to lay down a nice stripe just cant do it i have place a piece of a old car tire across the back of deck & adjustest the deck pitch droped the front 3/8" lower than what it was not sure what the deck is supposed to be set at i bought it used and i can not find a owners manual i see all you guys laying down nice stripes with a Deere and i cant do it to save my life any suggestions ?

Your deck should be approximately 1/4" lower in the front than in the back. You will want to make sure that you are at that setting, if you aren't, that can affact the cut quality and the striping ability.

You are also going to have to consider the grasses you are cutting. Warm season grasses from the south don't typically like to stripe that well. Cool season grasses of the north are relatively easy to stripe even without a striping kit.

rcslawncare
06-14-2011, 10:33 PM
the new 7iron pro decks are unbeatable. being a stamped deck there are no sharp corners or places for wet grass to clog up. the 7iron will out perform any deck out there. get the deere.

Bingo!! I scrape my deck when I change blades, but never really need too. Im amazed I can mow after a rain and it cut so well. Couldn't do that with my last mower.

jslawncare22
06-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Your deck should be approximately 1/4" lower in the front than in the back. You will want to make sure that you are at that setting, if you aren't, that can affact the cut quality and the striping ability.

You are also going to have to consider the grasses you are cutting. Warm season grasses from the south don't typically like to stripe that well. Cool season grasses of the north are relatively easy to stripe even without a striping kit.

I cut mostly ken. Blue I know it can be striped I have picked up customers from a competitor and it used to be striped .. So when setting the deck should the deck be at the lowest setting ? To tell you the truth I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to setting the pitch
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
06-14-2011, 10:54 PM
I cut mostly ken. Blue I know it can be striped I have picked up customers from a competitor and it used to be striped .. So when setting the deck should the deck be at the lowest setting ? To tell you the truth I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to setting the pitch
Posted via Mobile Device

You just have to have your deck accurate. So if you set it at 3" on your dial then when the blade is in the front of the deck it should be at 3" and when it's in the rear of the deck it should be about 3.25". It doesn't really have to be in any specific position, but you do need to do this while on a FLAT surface.

You should be able to find an online owner's manual off of Deere's website, even if your mower is not a current model.

jslawncare22
06-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Thank you !!!! I have been mesueing from the deck no wonder my cuts are jacked up now so is the 3.25 with the 1/4 pitch to the front just want to make sure getn ready 2 hit the garage
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
06-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Thank you !!!! I have been mesueing from the deck no wonder my cuts are jacked up now so is the 3.25 with the 1/4 pitch to the front just want to make sure getn ready 2 hit the garage
Posted via Mobile Device

When the blades are at the front of the deck, they should be at the cutting height on your dial. When the blades are at the back of the deck, they should be 1/4" higher than the front.

So the front should be lower than the rear.

Ridin' Green
06-15-2011, 12:53 AM
I just posted this link in another thread for a guy wanting to know how to pitch his Deere deck properly. Go to this link, then scroll down the menu on the left and click on "Adjusting the mower deck-all models"

Like I posted in another thread today, and the guy above said as well, make sure the area that you check this deck for level on, is dead flat. Whether it is on a slight angle (as on a sloped driveway made of cement) doesn't make too much difference, but whether the area is flat does ( I lay a 6' level out across the area in several different directions and look for obvious dips or humps that can be between where the tires will sit and under the deck, and can affect the measurements taken) If there are "birdbaths" or "knolls" in the cement or whatever you check the deck on, you can get false reading from your deck gauge or tape measure. I highly recommend the Deere deck gauge. They're cheap to buy, and I have been using the same one for many years now. They make checking pitch a snap.

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/omtcu29404_j0/Output/Index.html?tM=GC

jslawncare22
06-20-2011, 02:06 AM
ok i ajusted the deck and it still is not striping i give up

mrmower
06-20-2011, 03:34 AM
7 Iron Deck does a very good job at spreading the clippings. That's another thing that's a plus with the deck. I'm not sure about the Kubota deck, but the 7 Iron has a pretty wide discharge opening and even with the chute flap down it spreads well. In most cases I find that it does a better job with dispersal of clippings with it down than up.

As far as diesel goes, I can't understand why Deere doesn't add a smaller diesel option in their lineup. They have one which is the 997 with the 31 hp Yanmar (beast). They have smaller Yanmars in their machines, they need to add it to a z-track.

i agree i like my kawi engine in my 925 but would like to try one with a diesel. i think it would be great on fuel. how are the 997s on fuel?

tuffram
06-20-2011, 07:51 AM

What height are you trying to cut the grass?? Should be between 3 to 4 to stripe I think?

LawnCareNoobie
06-20-2011, 06:05 PM
i agree i like my kawi engine in my 925 but would like to try one with a diesel. i think it would be great on fuel. how are the 997s on fuel?

I believe I've read it being less than a gallon an hour. Pretty good.

LawnCareNoobie
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Depends on cutting height and the grass too. Too short with a lot of weeds isn't going to stripe as nice as a higher cut and nice green grass.

My JD's stripe just fine, regular high lift JD blades is all I use.

This was with a 757 here.

mrmower
06-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I believe I've read it being less than a gallon an hour. Pretty good.

wow thatd be alright

heather lawn sp
06-21-2011, 02:32 AM

2 2005 997's 60" & 72" both over 2500 hours
In 4 hours of engine time a day they will use 3 gallons

We just turned in our 2008 757 for a ZD 221. It burns about 80% of the fuel at about 80% of the cost per gallon (marked diesel), saves about $40 a week, and it cuts faster to boot

kubotafan
06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
2 2005 997's 60" & 72" both over 2500 hours
In 4 hours of engine time a day they will use 3 gallons

We just turned in our 2008 757 for a ZD 221. It burns about 80% of the fuel at about 80% of the cost per gallon (marked diesel), saves about $40 a week, and it cuts faster to boot

How do you find cut quality of the ZD221 to the Deere? Is it a 48" or 54" deck? I am thinking about one to replace my G1800 and also looking at an Exmark. I do like the Kubota Diesel.

heather lawn sp
06-21-2011, 08:50 AM
54"

Only had it a week. The operator says it's doing fine. We do mostly rough mowing (school yards) so the quality is not as critical as the speed, toughness and economy of the operation for us. The operator says it holds hills better than the 757 did.

We have a GF 1800 with the 18 hp Kubota in it and a Bobcat 463 skidsteer with a 22.5 hp Kubota in it, so this is our 3rd Kubota engine

tuffram
06-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Kubota makes one of the best diesel engines you can buy. I guess this is why just about every other mower manufacture either offers a Kubota diesel or has had one available at one time.

mrmower
06-22-2011, 02:40 AM
i know this is alittle off topic but what diesel does scag use? and its been awhile since ive seem one but did i see a turbo on one?

tuffram
06-22-2011, 09:27 AM
i know this is alittle off topic but what diesel does scag use? and its been awhile since ive seem one but did i see a turbo on one?

Kubota and Cat diesel and dual fuel Kubota engine options are available from scag.

nrobertsonETMC
08-22-2011, 05:53 PM
My scag dealer told me that CAT will not certify his mechanics to work on the engines in the scags. If a repair was necessary the machine would have to be taken to a CAT dealer.

rmslawns
01-13-2013, 11:37 PM
I have the same JD 920. Really like it. Only issue is the bumpy ride at times. i have learned to wear a seat belt. Do you have a suspension seat on yours?