PDA

View Full Version : encore 48 w tecumsah 14

Planet Landscaping
10-13-2002, 11:19 AM
looking for info on reliability of engine, mower . what is it worth. 30 hrs. Encore premier 48, belt drive, 14 hp tecumsah with proslide and bagger. ??????????????

MOW ED
10-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Welcome to Lawnsite.

I will say one thing about Tecumseh engines and this is from personal experience with this company.
I think they are junk and their company doesn't care.
I had an engine with about 12 hours on it blow and they admitted a problem but never followed thru. I will never have another piece of crap Tecumseh again.

Scag48
10-13-2002, 12:43 PM
In my opinion, 14 HP isn't enough to run a 48" in most conditions, but I think that if you weren't cutting very much at one time, you should be okay, but there's always that chance. Go for more HP.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-13-2002, 02:56 PM
The young Scag48 just aquired his first commercial 36" walk behind, so from what he has read he is giving you a summery.

I have a 48" Encore hydro with a 15hp Kohler, (had a 14hp Kaw. lived it's full life) Both engines had plenty of power to cut in somewhat taller grass conditions, but you wanted to slow down a tad when in tall grass.

I also have or had Lesco 48" belt drives, 14hp Kaw Lesco 48" 17hp Kaw/ 52" 19hp Kaw hydro's, Toro 44" 14 hp Kaw. All of these mowers did ok when it came to tall grass, but they will lack hp when they attempt to do TGCL lawns on steroids.

I currently run Exmark Turf Tracer 52" 22hp-23hp wb's. They will power though almost any tall lawn.

For the engine on it, "I" would pass it up, but if the price is right, I would repower it at a later date.

Not much to go wrong with the mower.

Planet Landscaping
10-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Guys Im worried about the engine. Mower is new #30 hrs $1000.oo Tell me some stories about engine life of tec umsah 14hp and encore premier Any body got one??????? Are they easy to repower with v twin kaw? Dont like the proslide!! Thanx

65hoss
10-14-2002, 06:45 AM
14hp is ok on a 48" mower. That motor I wouldn't want. Nor would I really want that mower. I have a 48" hydro encore. Makes a great bushhog, but the cut will not even come close to the eXmarks quality. I have had some quality issues with the mower as well. I recommend you stay away from them.

TJLC
10-14-2002, 07:06 AM
I have owned Exmarks from the begining and agree a 14 is OK on a 48" but IMHO is better suited to a 36". I now have a new TTHP 48" with a 17 hp Kawi electric start and it's a good match in my opnion. I can't speak of Encore mowers because I have never owned or used one but I can speak very highly of Exmark. Good luck.

firefighter
10-14-2002, 07:38 AM
Mow Ed said it all about tecumseh, they are junk.

Planet Landscaping
10-16-2002, 07:00 PM
any others

mowingmachine
10-16-2002, 11:35 PM
Is that engine a Tecumseh Enduro. Does it have an oil filter. If both or those questions are yes that engine is rated at 1400hrs. I have quite a bit of experience with the 13HP Enduro. It actually does quite well as far as torque but it is by no means a commercial quality engine. It will serve you well if you are only going to put several hours a week on it but everyday work will kill it. If you can get the mower cheap enough you could use the engine until it dies and then repower. Hope this helps.

mowingmachine

Phishook
10-17-2002, 01:48 AM
I've got the 48" 14hp kaw.

Not sure of the hrs, but probably arround 800.

Good investment for what I use it for. But boy, will it work your forearms. Normally I only use it 1-2 hrs a week. A couple of weeks ago we ran it full time. Ouch!

The only repairs I've made in 5 yrs. has been a muffler, throttle and a new set of brakes.

JasperStorm
10-17-2002, 06:30 AM
Even "back in the day" when it was only Briggs or Tecumseh, I never cared for Tecumseh's engine setup.
Nowdays we have Kawi, Honda, and Kohler with Briggs trying to keep up with their quality and innovations.
Tecumseh seems to be relegated to providing power to the lowest of the housewife grade, made in China-type tools.
I won't touch 'em with a 4 ft. hula hoe handle.