PDA

View Full Version : Just like i predicted...kcmo city contract mowers failing scope of service

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
05-31-2011, 02:01 AM
back in the early spring I told you all about the $750 27 ac/5000 headstone cemetery and the 5 inner city parks for $100 bids. Well, those guys are feeling the pinch and running on fumes. Quality has been questioned and official complaints filed from numerous citizens and even inspectors. Corners are being cut. Fines are handed out weekly now. All because insane lowball bids by unskilled dreamers was gleefully accepted by the city. Deal with it, KC. You want cheap...you got cheap. Contractors can't handle the larger jobs for pennies on the dollar that they thought they could. Remember: When you bid city projects on the cheap, count on making nothing unless you are really, really good at crunchig labor and expenses. And I mean expert. City pays beans and wants caviare quality. Something has to give, KC. Scope of Service is what gives. My prediction for 2011 city contracts stands: two contractors will be fired before by the end of the first contract year. Two are already on the hot seat.

flatlander42
05-31-2011, 02:15 AM
How about the pics and spy vids? :D

topsites
05-31-2011, 03:39 AM
Yeah what else is new?

Richard Martin
05-31-2011, 07:18 AM
None of your local newspapers seem to have anything about this in them.

playersc
05-31-2011, 07:23 AM
I know just what you mean, we lost a nice account due to some individual trying to make himself look better by going on the cheap. Two months later got a call that they were in a bind and needed some help because the contractor who got the bid had walked out. Our response "we surely appreciate the offer but due to our recent work load and limited staff we are unable to provided the quality and service that we pride ourselves upon to any additional accounts". That left a smile for days.

MOturkey
05-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Some local guys bid a municipal cemetery near here for $540. Next closest bid was $800. As near as I can tell, it is taking 4 people all of one day to service the account, plus the 25 mile drive from their shop. Even at an 8 hour day, that is less than $17 per man hour. Just don't see how it is possible to do that and turn a profit.

MOHUSTLER
05-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Just let the city bids go to the lowballers. Its the same in every town. Stick with your homeowners. They pay better and are much less competetive.

fier23
06-01-2011, 01:56 AM
back in the early spring I told you all about the $750 27 ac/5000 headstone cemetery and the 5 inner city parks for $100 bids. Well, those guys are feeling the pinch and running on fumes. Quality has been questioned and official complaints filed from numerous citizens and even inspectors. Corners are being cut. Fines are handed out weekly now. All because insane lowball bids by unskilled dreamers was gleefully accepted by the city. Deal with it, KC. You want cheap...you got cheap. Contractors can't handle the larger jobs for pennies on the dollar that they thought they could. Remember: When you bid city projects on the cheap, count on making nothing unless you are really, really good at crunchig labor and expenses. And I mean expert. City pays beans and wants caviare quality. Something has to give, KC. Scope of Service is what gives. My prediction for 2011 city contracts stands: two contractors will be fired before by the end of the first contract year. Two are already on the hot seat.
Hey Recession what are the parks? I work in the inner city on the FD and would like to see them. Which cemetery also?
Posted via Mobile Device

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey Recession what are the parks? I work in the inner city on the FD and would like to see them. Which cemetery also?
Posted via Mobile Device

The Union Cemetery off Crown Center is one. They had to bust ass all day long to get it in shape for this weekend's Memorial Day festivities. Management was on pins and needles if he could even get it to the level of professional care it deserves. You give a highly-visible landmark property to a lowballer...well, you get what you pay for Kansas City. That guy is having a hard time keeping up, watched his crew the other day and shook my head in embarassment. Probably a dreamer who thought $750 per 27ac/5000 headstone job was a piece 'o cake. Didn't have any idea what trimming 5000 headstones meant. That's like sending a trimmer crew into a forest at 7am and saying, "see those trees...yeah, all those trees that make up a "forest"...trim every one of 'em. I'll see you in the evening, boys".

Parks that suck regularly now are Trolley Run entrance at 85th & Oak, that thing hasn't been mowed all year. Called it in the other day and inspectors said they would get right on it. We'll see. 31st & Benton Blvd is hit and miss...mainly miss. 35th & Wabash, 24th & Chelsea, here's one that is out of control...54th & Troost, go a half block east, think that is Virginia. That park hasn't been edged, professionally trimmed, etc. Ive got plenty others but I'll get carpel tunnel if I type all the kcmo parks failing scope of service with lowball contractors cutting corners.

MOHUSTLER
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
To be honest with the way every town in america is low on money right now KC probably doent give 2 hoots about how they look.

They only see one thing and thats the money saved.

Since I have started in this industry, city/school bids have allways been lowballed and lazily mowed. Gripes will go no where esp when that mowing company is holding a contract in thier hands.

32vld
06-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Politicians don't care. All that money not spent on landscaping is more money for patronage jobs.