PDA

View Full Version : Sterilize hedge trimmers?

Toatlandscape
10-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Does anyone spray down your hedge trimmers between jobs? I was talking with a nursery owner and he told me that WE as a group are most responsible for spreading tree and shrub disease. He says a simple spray with Lysol or similar will kill germs before moving on. This is something I have never thought about. I do spray with a WD40 type spray befor beginning the day but not at each job. He did not know if this will kill germs or not. Any thoughts?

Green Pastures
10-13-2002, 02:19 PM
That's an interesting point you make. I wonder if these diseases aren't airborne though. It does make me think. I use the WD-40 too, but I don't think it kills germs.

Scott

Ryan Lightning
10-13-2002, 02:32 PM
diseases is pretty much everywhere. The problem with them being on your edge trimmers is, you make a wound while prunning, and that lets disease in.
This could be a big problem if your prunning alot of trees are bushes and your going from prunning diseased trees to healthy trees. I clean my cutting tool every once in a while, but I will clean them after a job, if I know I was prunning are hedging a tree a bush that looks like it may have a disease. You can also use bleach and water 50\50, and dip your tools, are even chainsaw in between cuts are trees.

jeffyr
10-13-2002, 03:27 PM
I was told that same thing in a seminar a few years ago at Rutgers.
They were saying to wash the pruners, like the Felco and loppers.

The same holds true while cutting diseased lawn -- Red Thread can be carried from lawn to lawn by mower deck. I am not sure about other diseases, but since you are cutting and opening up a wound on each blade, it is likely.

jeffyr

Doc Pete
10-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Toatlandscape
Does anyone spray down your hedge trimmers between jobs? I was talking with a nursery owner and he told me that WE as a group are most responsible for spreading tree and shrub disease. He says a simple spray with Lysol or similar will kill germs before moving on. This is something I have never thought about. I do spray with a WD40 type spray befor beginning the day but not at each job. He did not know if this will kill germs or not. Any thoughts?
"Cork Crown Gall" if I have the name right easily transmits by a trimmer. It's bad stuff. Once the shrub has it, it's done for. But, it takes time. I did it to my own shrubs before I realized it...... It looks like cork ball around any part of a shrub's stems.
Hope this helps,
Pete

dfor
10-13-2002, 08:21 PM
I use "Windex" that I keep in the truck for the windows and anything else I need it for. And no I am not "Greek".;)

jeffyr
10-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by dfor
I use "Windex" that I keep in the truck for the windows and anything else I need it for. And no I am not "Greek".;)

:confused: ?????:confused:

smburgess
10-13-2002, 10:35 PM
WD40?

Shouldn't be used on hedgetrimmers, it's a petrol based product, not to good for the plants.

Should use silicon based lubrication.

HarryD
10-14-2002, 02:58 AM
I hate trimming bushs and hope they all DIE!!!!! :rolleyes:

Toatlandscape
10-14-2002, 08:35 AM
I haven't had any problems so far with WD40 ( that I know of) but what is a silicon based product. Are they the ones that are not flammable?

Darb
10-14-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
You can also use bleach and water 50\50, and dip your tools

Be careful about using chlorine products. Will cause major rusting. I know bleach is not the same as chlorine but I think they are similar... maybe enough to cause rust.
Darb

Gravely_Man
10-14-2002, 03:40 PM
I have never thought of this either but it definitely makes sense. It is just like scraping your mower deck between lawns to prevent the spread to diseases. Something to think about. I will ask the next time, I be at the nursery.

Gravely_Man

Keith
10-14-2002, 04:01 PM
How about a can of dissinfectant? Like Lysol.

Phishook
10-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by smburgess
WD40?

Shouldn't be used on hedgetrimmers, it's a petrol based product, not to good for the plants.

Should use silicon based lubrication.

True.

But I use cooking oil spray, like PAM. It's vegtable oil based.

Never thought of disinfecting pruners, Good Idea!

awm
10-15-2002, 09:14 AM
my guess is the wd 40 would not be to good for any living mico or germ.
i lube my trimmerswith a thicker viscosity oil ,when i use them. never thot about it hurting the plant.ill have to go back an see if any damage can be attributed to that.

AVRECON
10-15-2002, 09:18 AM
One word to kill fungus from diseased plants. BLEACH!

digger1
10-19-2002, 10:57 PM
Heard about this same thing years ago about sterilizing equipment and pruning cuts. Sounds good in theory but is not practical in a lot of situations. I'm as guilty as anyone about using WD40. Word of caution on WD40, since it is petroleum based, it can leave a brown patch on what is freshly trimmed immediately after application to the trimmers.
Maybe try contacting local Agriculture Extension office and see if they offer any assistance.

captdevo
10-20-2002, 08:30 AM
i have a spray bottle with ivory antibacterial soap and water i spray hedgers, pruners and saws with after use.

i then spray with silicon spray.

after a while if buildup collects on them, i clean them with easy-off oven cleaner then warm soap and water and re-siliconize.

wd-40 is very harmful to plants!!