PDA

View Full Version : small project

Mark B
05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Here is a small project I just completed. The picture is not great, but you get the idea. This is the first time I have installed some lights where I did.

I installed 3 lights on the gutter to lite up the stamped concrete with 10 watt frosted lens.

Mike M
06-02-2011, 06:31 AM
I like the gutter strategy for dealing with the concrete ground. Are the path lights fed by a cable in the downspouts?

Mark B
06-02-2011, 07:30 AM
No the path lights are feed from under the deck. That was the first time for me doing the gutter mounts, I am not super crazy about it, but i think it turned out good..
Posted via Mobile Device

waterbrook
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
What fixtures & mounts did you use on your gutters and are you happy with the fixtures?

Mark B
06-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I used the unique gutter mounts. I had tho use black zip ties to secure the beakers, cause they blended in really nice. The holes on the brackets are big some silver washers would have stood out. As far as the fixture I used a clarolux Florence ( they are 30 minutes from my house) . It turned out better then I thought they would. I used a 10 watt bulb in them. For what I had to light up it work out great.

At first I ordered some kichler fixtures, they were not really white. But the kicker was the bracket is some type of rubbed brass, so I had 3 different finishes going on I was not going that route.

Sours I am happy with it.the HO loves it. That was my first time ever doing that. It will open a new avenue for me..
Posted via Mobile Device

waterbrook
06-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks Sleepyhead. First I've seen of Clarolux. Pretty nice to have them in your back yard, so to speak. It's a shame they don't have that fixture in white against the white gutters. I've got a similar project... shooting down from white gutters. So I'm looking to mount either under the gutter or in the gutter and hang over like you've done. I really don't want to penetrate the structure.

Mark B
06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I liked the look of doing it like I did. I would think that some of the others have done something like this. Maybe they will chime in.

I think it is time for a name change. Mark

waterbrook
06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Just learned that the HO is planning to install Gutter Helmets, so the Unique gutter mount looks to be off the drawing board. Will have to mount underneath the eave, which is also white.

starry night
06-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I was wondering about that the other day --- what to do for gutter mounts if the gutters are covered. Has anyone used a regular gutter mount on covered gutters?

Mark B
06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
The gutter/leave gaurds have a tiny opening along the edge correct? I am mounted mine on the outter lip of the gutter. In mmy case it would not matter if they had gutter gaurds or not. But I am no expert at all.

S&MLL
06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
We just open up by the downspouts and use fishsticks to pull the wires. As far as mounting we just drill out a 1" hole in the guard for the stem.

Mark B
06-09-2011, 10:11 PM
But what do you when you want to light on the side of the gutter? The side is not flat.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Lighting Geek
06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
oops! i screwed up...lol

Lite4
06-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Recessed cans will give you a more custom and professional look. I used to hang fixtures under eaves but always thought it looked a little silly and out of place. Just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device

S&MLL
06-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I thought we were talking about fixtures in the gutter pointing at the second story.

but for downlighting lightolier lvr2000 is your friend

Mark B
06-13-2011, 09:28 PM
I agree they look a little out of place hanging off the gutters. But I think they turned out good. I am not sure if I would have installed can lights, if I would have gotten the look the HO wuz wanting. But I have never installed can lights you are talking about.

The HO wuz wanting to light up the stamped concrete and some distance away from the house.
Posted via Mobile Device

waterbrook
06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks S&MLL.Those Lightolier 2000LVR look perfect. I'll talk to an electrician about how best to get the wiring into the attic. I didn't want to penetrate the structure, but the look of the cans is the best overall look. Is there a particular trim that you normally use on those cans?