PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard this from a client before?

pattytastik
05-31-2011, 07:44 PM
New client was angry about a very small amount of grass clippings that got into her mulch beds. She told me that the clippings cause grass to grow. I am fairly certain that she is incorrect and the grass clippings just dies and disappears.

Ends up i decided to part with her for other reasons. Mainly her being a pain in my ass lol.

Have you ever heard of this before?

Poontamer
05-31-2011, 08:14 PM
New client was angry about a very small amount of grass clippings that got into her mulch beds. She told me that the clippings cause grass to grow. I am fairly certain that she is incorrect and the grass clippings just dies and disappears.

Ends up i decided to part with her for other reasons. Mainly her being a pain in my ass lol.

Have you ever heard of this before?

Once and I just started mowing the area with beds with my quikchute. Just let the customer think there right
Posted via Mobile Device

Poontamer
05-31-2011, 08:15 PM
My quik is set down around beds than I open it and proceed on
Posted via Mobile Device

dgw
05-31-2011, 08:16 PM
yes youre shooting both grass and weed seeds into the bed

TuffWork
05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
it's possible especially if it's bermuda

shovelracer
05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Clippings themselves no, but this time of year they are possibly seeding. You also have the weeds getting in there if there are any. Most of the time here when grass creeps it is from rhizomes. Good luck explaining that.

lukemelo216
06-01-2011, 09:15 AM
yup like the others said. especially this time of the year when the grass is growing really fast if you notice when you go cut it, it almost looks like a piece of wheat in the field (except for green). Thats becasue the lawn is tall enough to seed. so when you blow those clippings into the mulch beds it is allowing seeds to develop. usually we make two passes around the mulch beds and then have an ocdc and will close it when we are really close to it if we know that the grass may blow into it.

topsites
06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I have heard them all, this one too.

Patriot Services
06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Two words. Blower and Roundup.
Posted via Mobile Device

pattytastik
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Two words. Blower and Roundup.
Posted via Mobile Device

How would roundup work? You can't spray round up in a mulch bed with plants, can you?
Posted via Mobile Device

bulhead19
06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't suggest roundup. I use Spectracide every once in a while and that works pretty well for your buck. Spectra claims to kill over 200 kinds of weeds, and wont hurt your grass. I tried it out and most of the times, it does not hurt the grass. So you might want to try that out. Blowers are the cheapest way just blow most of the grass out and at the same time the mulch gets sifted and behold no grass at sight. But clippings can cause the weed growth so always try to aim away from the beds. Just my .02

ALC-GregH
06-01-2011, 01:46 PM
How would roundup work? You can't spray round up in a mulch bed with plants, can you?
Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldn't suggest roundup. I use Spectracide every once in a while and that works pretty well for your buck. Spectra claims to kill over 200 kinds of weeds, and wont hurt your grass. I tried it out and most of the times, it does not hurt the grass. So you might want to try that out. Blowers are the cheapest way just blow most of the grass out and at the same time the mulch gets sifted and behold no grass at sight. But clippings can cause the weed growth so always try to aim away from the beds. Just my .02

Both suggestions require a license to apply them. I'd imagine you both have them to do what you're saying?

probe1957
06-01-2011, 01:56 PM
You're a professional. She is holding you to a reasonable standard. Don't get grass in her beds.

XLS
06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Dead right Probe ...............any kid can blow grass in the beds ......but you are better then a kid are you not? if not your in the wrong business.
serious note .
If Grass is blown in so is weed and grass seeds saying it didnt then you still messed up her beds and when the grass decomposes it turns to dirt and eventually will allow seed to germinate causeing problems you cant control with out chemicals or back breaking labor.

LandscaperPro
06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
What if the landscaping was done right by laying weed barier underneth the mulch or rocks?

Patriot Services
06-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Both suggestions require a license to apply them. I'd imagine you both have them to do what you're saying?

Yes, I have a license. The blower cleans out any stray clippings and fluffs the mulch. Roundup spot spray any weed or blade of grass that manages to germinate. Its not rocket science people. As for overspray on plants that what the brass nozzle is for. Don't spray from 3ft away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
What if the landscaping was done right by laying weed barier underneth the mulch or rocks?

Seeds landing on top of barriers will germinate. Mother nature always finds a way.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
patriot is right on a sprayer you non experianced folk and the experianced with out can cut a top off a 20oz bottle and drill a 3/8'' hole in the lid .then place the tip into the cap and leave it installed and when you spot spray a bed just install the bottle portion for a spray shield ...... we cut the bottle in half then trim it back to about 3'' tall and adjust the nozzle for complete coverage. spray all you want and aslong as the plastic is on the ground no damaged bush. cost $1.35 and you get to enjoy a nice cold drink also.

XLS
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
There is No right way Landscaper Pro .....fabrics are only as good as the company is at removing and replacing the mulch..... we stoped using it in our 3rd year and we have no more weeds in a year now as when we used the stuff , junk

kwiltfan
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

If your real careful you can just don't hit the plants!

pattytastik
06-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Why do you need a licence to use roundup? Why would they sell something that needs a license at homedepot?? Where would I get this license?

Patriot Services
06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Because you are applying poison for a fee. States have individual rules. I'm sure somebody from yours will point you in the right direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

LandscaperPro
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Your right XLS, prob all depends on the installer.

XLS
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
the last straw for us was when we did a large job for a HOA and the requirments was weed-wrap and mulch on a install where they had 15 plants die ............... turned out the previous 2 scapers had simply burried the existing barriers and the roots was constricted and killing the new plants ......... we tore it all out and to offset our labor cost we skiped the wrap and used chemicals and it took 3 years before we were even questioned on the fact of no wrap. then they said it looked good and went on

Ijustwantausername
06-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Why do you need a licence to use roundup? Why would they sell something that needs a license at homedepot?? Where would I get this license?

Exactly what I was saying until I took the Applicators license test. You have to have a license to spray "for a fee" and basically when you apply poison to a "pest" on someone else's property, which by the way pest has a broad definition. You can spray it on your own property with no license.

Call your county extension office and tell them you want your commercial applicators license and they'll help you out. If you don't have time to take the class, like me, just study the books they send you really well. You have to take 2 tests, at least where I'm at you do. Can be expensive too...

Poontamer
06-01-2011, 07:44 PM

The black rolls help control weeds but weeds still will grow threw and on the mulch,bark,ect.

I HATE weeds! I spend $105 for Quikpro (granule) and thats all I would ever use!
Posted via Mobile Device

Greyst1
06-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Ok, round up a brand name. Go to HD and look up the ingredients. Probably reads like 18% glysophate which is really weak. Glysophate is the necessary ingredient to kill vegetation.

In Ohio you would need a applicators license in apply chemicals. You get your license through your state agricultural depts.

If you are going to apply weed killer do it right, get Quickpro, 73% gly.

Back to the OP topic, i have struggled with this for a couple years now. I tried a OCDC from Powerchute and didn't really see the desired result. Much blow out plus It's way over priced.

I changed patterns weekly for one thing, double passes too and blow out beds. Truth be told the best is obviously mow in a pattern that blows away from the bed but that is the challenge here. Some properties don't allow that, sometimes the wind is the PITA, you could bag but if your not set up for that good luck.

To this day i double passes (which i don't like because on small properties it minimizes the stripes), not clipping free but it helps.

For me, it's all about minimizing the clippings. I always circle the property to blow out beds.