PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys disinfect your blades?

kirkmbrown2001
05-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey everyone!

With all of the rain we have had in the northeast, the weeds have grown like wildfire. I was wondering if any of you guys disinfect your blades to help prevent weeds spreading from lawn to lawn. I just bought 200 alcohol wipes from ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/PDI-ALCOHOL-WIPES-PREP-PADS-MEDIUM-200-BOX-/180576749645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0b36884d) for $4.99 with free shipping. My thought is to quickly wipe the sharpened blades every morning when I change them. Should only take a few seconds more in time. I am not expecting immediate results but do you think this will help over time?

Thanks!

93Chevy
05-31-2011, 08:28 PM
For it to be effective, I'd imagine you'd have to wash, scrape, and disinfect the whole deck between every lawn.

braddsn
05-31-2011, 08:34 PM
The wind will take care of spreading weeds. I cannot imagine wiping your blades will have any effect on anything.

jsslawncare
05-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Do like I do. Act suprised when a customer asks about some new weeds in there yard. then say "none of my other customers have weeds. Must have come from your neighbors," I really just park my mower on the grass close to my truck and blow it off good when I blow off the driveway. I also have the deck cover removed. Makes it easier to blow off.

topsites
05-31-2011, 09:34 PM
well...

At least you're only out $5 + shipping.
I'm pretty sure I've done worse.

I would probably use those wipes for my face in the heat of summer, the cool of that little wipe plus
getting some of the grime off, just watch how you breathe that stuff is powerful.

Dr.NewEarth
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
We have some lawns with "Red Thread" infections and it will spread.
I'll bring a dedicated mower for each yard with this problem and not use it on other yards that day. Those machines I will sanitize with 10% bleach.

I'm on acreage and have room where the equipment can get power washed off
whenever needed.

I've never worried so much about weed seed in a healthy lawn

alexschultz1
05-31-2011, 11:44 PM
a properly treated lawn shouldnt have weed problems. at least thats how it is with bermuda, except for poa, that junk goes everywhere

Magna-Matic
06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Hello All,

For those of you concerned with clean / disinfected blades please review the information on our lawn mower blade cleaner. It doesn't disinfect the blades but it will allow you to get all the vegetable material off.

http://www.magna-matic.com/product/mag-12008-lawn-mower-blade-cleaner

Thank you,

Darryl G
06-02-2011, 10:00 PM
No I can't say that I disinfect my blades or that it's ever occured to me to do so. I do blow my mower off after every account though.

Ridin' Green
06-03-2011, 12:13 AM
If you're worried about spreading weeds (and I am when I come back from some other place to my own lawn), the blades aren't what you need to worry about. During times of high grass moisture such as a normal spring, and especially with the amount of rain everyone is getting, it's very easy to spread weeds. The weed seeds stick to the grass clippings/debris under you deck, and are easily distributed to weed free lawns when the mower is run on them. The clipplings from the weed free lawn will dislodge a lot of the seeds and they are blown down or out across the weed free lawn where they can and usually do take root and sprout.

I have had it happen on my own lawn. I keep it as weed free as is humanly possible, but when I first started mowing part time for money, I didn't bother to totally clean the bottom of my deck after cutting lawns with weeds, and it didn't take long until I had weeds starting to sprout at home. Now the deck(s) get cleaned spotless underneath before they go over my own lawn.

That isn't practical when mowing all day, every day for a living, but it sure as heck can, and will spread weeds from one lawn to another, especially when mowing heavy dew covered lawns, or anytime the grass is extra wet.

knox gsl
06-03-2011, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't spend my time on such, blame the weeds on the fert and squirt guy unless that's you.

MJB
06-03-2011, 01:54 AM
If I mow a lawn full of weeds or black medic before I leave I will wash the deck off with their water hose. I do that when I run over their dog poop too. If they don't like it, I tell them to spray their yard and clean up the poop.

BrunoT
06-04-2011, 03:39 AM
You missed April 1 by a couple of months. Because I'm hoping this is a joke.