PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Deck

rwreuter
05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 60" Hustler FasTrak Super Duty and the underside of the deck is just caked up. I know that this effects the cutting ability of the mower (I can see it).

So, what is the best way to clean it, or how do most of you clean the underside of your mowing deck. I don't have a ZTR lift or whatever that is called. Today, I just used a jack and got about a foot of clearance and began scraping away with a screw driver.

Is that Good, Bad or an Ugly way of doing it?

rwr

calvinslawnservices
05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Puttyknife works better than a screwdriver. Other than that your set, make sure the mower is properly supported.

Alpha Property
05-31-2011, 09:16 PM
an engine hoist with a strap around the front casters, and then pressure wash the hell out of it, soak it down with fluid film, sharpen your blades and make sure uou grease the spindles to get all of the water out of them

WJC
05-31-2011, 09:35 PM
If I need to clean my deck between or during a lawn, I pull one caster wheel up on the trailer ramp and lay down under the deck and scrape it with a 4.5" thin blade metal putty knife with the sharp corners rounded off to lessen gouging. If I'm at home, I also pressure wash it after scraping. Cleaning the deck is the chore I HATE most!

Agape
05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Puttyknife works better than a screwdriver. Other than that your set, make sure the mower is properly supported.

Yeah, I heard recently about a guy that was killed sharpening the blades on his ZTR while still on the mower, fell off the stand and crushed him.:(

ProStreetCamaro
05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Yup putty knife. OR you could just buy a gravely with the x-factor deck and never have to scrape the deck again. Dont know what it is about the gravely x-factor deck but it just does not develop any build up that needs to be scraped off. If some builds up under the deck while cutting a soaking wet lawn it all falls off when you turn the blades off. It does not stick and get worse and worse like other mowers do.

calvinslawnservices
05-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Remember with power washing the deck you can get water in the spindles and ruin them, just be sure to stay away from the spindles and regrease them after power washing.

TuffWork
05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Remember with power washing the deck you can get water in the spindles and ruin them, just be sure to stay away from the spindles and regrease them after power washing.

Agreed, but I still feel power washing is the way to get it REALLY clean.

calvinslawnservices
05-31-2011, 09:59 PM
I power wash my deck also, I try to stay at least 4 inches away from the spindles and always do it when the spindles are cold.

gravelyman50
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Yup putty knife. OR you could just buy a gravely with the x-factor deck and never have to scrape the deck again. Dont know what it is about the gravely x-factor deck but it just does not develop any build up that needs to be scraped off. If some builds up under the deck while cutting a soaking wet lawn it all falls off when you turn the blades off. It does not stick and get worse and worse like other mowers do.

Yeah right, bring your x factor over here and bog 8 inch tall wet fescue for 3 days straight and see what your deck looks like, All my mowers are gravely x factors and i had to scrap my deck twice a day last week.

If there was a mower deck that never needed to be scraped everyone would have it. I mean , i love my x factor decks, but im not gonna say that grass doesnt buildup under them.

SouthSide Cutter
05-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah right, bring your x factor over here and bog 8 inch tall wet fescue for 3 days straight and see what your deck looks like, All my mowers are gravely x factors and i had to scrap my deck twice a day last week.

If there was a mower deck that never needed to be scraped everyone would have it. I mean , i love my x factor decks, but im not gonna say that grass doesnt buildup under them.

Thats what I was thinking also. I got some yards that will clog it you can bet on it. My Scags clog up also and so do the 7Iron of my buddies. They all do in the right conditions.

Grassman6
05-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Carry a 2" paint scraper in the cup holder and use it often during the first half of the day. Then scrape again before storing for the night so that crap does not turn to concrete before morning. It's just an occupational hazard you signed up for when you decided to mow...along with hanging bird feeders you can't see while wearing a hat, ground bees you can't out run in July, and flat tires when you've left your repair tools in the shop.

Agape
06-01-2011, 03:08 AM
Carry a 2" paint scraper in the cup holder and use it often during the first half of the day. Then scrape again before storing for the night so that crap does not turn to concrete before morning. It's just an occupational hazard you signed up for when you decided to mow...along with hanging bird feeders you can't see while wearing a hat, ground bees you can't out run in July, and flat tires when you've left your repair tools in the shop.

:laugh::laugh: OMG!! you have hidden cameras on me!!:laugh::laugh: