PDA

View Full Version : Someone stole my company name.

G. Ramey
05-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Another lco who is a friend of mine texted me a picture of a business card today. It was my business name with somebody elses phone number and name. I have used the name for years and have a business license with the company name. I called the guy tonight and was polite when I told him he was using a name I have paid for since 1994. He instantly started stuttering and apoligizing. It turned out he was a 14 year old kid. I told him when he gets out of school tomorrow to go pick up all his cards. He said he would. He said he wouldn"t use my name any more. I started thinking what if I had never licensed the name and this kid came along and had done things right and got a business license, then I would be the one losing my sucessful business name. It would have been awful to build up a business and lose it over not getting a business name. Luckily I don't have to worry about that. If you don't register your business your taking a huge risk. Take my advice go spend a little money every year and get a license.

Agape
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
I have Agape lawn service and I came across a guy named Agape gardening (or similar) it's a different name but I also have great placement on google searches, and I'm not sure this guy even has a website, so I get calls all the time and land jobs from people looking specifically for this guy cause he does a neighbors or something, they google "agape" and I come up.
So I don't really care, until I start hearing bad things about "agape"

"Are you the guy with the white trucks?"

"I have blue trucks now. How can I help you?":laugh:

andyslawns
06-01-2011, 12:30 AM
^^^^^ that is funny as hell agape. (well if your not the other guy)

topsites
06-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Those darn business name thieves again.

MOHUSTLER
06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Well I hope you made that 14 year old kid cry in his diapers, haha. it happens every day you did the right thing by calling him and asking him to change the name.

flatlander42
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
What if the 14yr old would have told you to pound sand? What could you have done? sue him or something?

topsites
06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
If you had never licensed your business there would have been no worrying about losing anything successful either
as I don't define unlicensed entities as successful, they're not successful at all in my book if they don't even have
it in them to do it right, how can anyone claim success while they're not even properly licensed, after all if they're
not licensed what else are they doing wrong?

It would have been awful to build up a business and lose it over not getting a business name.

I wouldn't have lost any sleep over it, more like one more illegal operation out of the picture.
That having been said, you might have done the right thing but on the other hand I wonder if I would
have wanted to get on some teenager over it, running a landscaping operation is one thing, cutting
grass after school for cash is quite another, even thou the two could blend together in the future,
I suppose it could have been aggravating if the kid had one day decided to go legitimate and then
chosen a name one letter away from yours, then again I don't see how we can prevent all of it.

Snapper Jack
06-01-2011, 07:19 PM
If you had never licensed your business there would have been no worrying about losing anything successful either
as I don't define unlicensed entities as successful, they're not successful at all in my book if they don't even have
it in them to do it right, how can anyone claim success while they're not even properly licensed, after all if they're
not licensed what else are they doing wrong?

I wouldn't have lost any sleep over it, more like one more illegal operation out of the picture.
That having been said, you might have done the right thing but on the other hand I wonder if I would
have wanted to get on some teenager over it, running a landscaping operation is one thing, cutting
grass after school for cash is quite another, even thou the two could blend together in the future,
I suppose it could have been aggravating if the kid had one day decided to go legitimate and then
chosen a name one letter away from yours, then again I don't see how we can prevent all of it.

Where I'm from you must register your company name at the court house and to verify no one else is using the same company name. You pay a fee to register and no licenses are required.