PDA

View Full Version : Out To Pasture?

DVS Hardscaper
05-31-2011, 11:21 PM
At what age do you retire your employees? In other words when do they become to old for the work, the pace, the heat, etc?

CheapScapesNC
06-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Depends on the employee....I have seen 50 year olds work 20 year olds into the ground.

JoeyDipetro
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
In my experience, mexicans into the 60s, americans very rare to see them in the 40s working for somebody else, unless it's a big firm where they can hide.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-02-2011, 01:27 AM
In my experience, mexicans into the 60s, americans very rare to see them in the 40s working for somebody else, unless it's a big firm where they can hide.

That's funny, but sadly true.

OutdoorCreations
06-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I am 28 and think I have about 2 good years left...Haha! This line of work will make you old fast.
I saw a 5'2" 125lb 60 year old Mexican guy carry 2 80lb wall blocks at one time. I couldn't believe it. One on each shoulder.

Groomer
06-02-2011, 08:08 PM
53 and still running a lawn crew-I'll take a walkbehind over a rider anytime. Young lawn guy says,"hey lets run down and rip thru that lawn!" old guy says "lets walk and cut em..... well you know the story. kick me outta the truck when I can't get in it. When will that be? Hardscape, I imagine, with the physical demands has got to throw a little more body wear and tear into the time frame.

wurkn with amish
06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
when they cant stand up straight any more

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-02-2011, 08:36 PM
when they cant stand up straight any more

You mean now. I mow and build and I'll pack block before I prefer to mow on most day's. I prefer pond cleanouts though.

DVS Hardscaper
06-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I have a 58 or 59 year old faithful employee thats been with me for years. I'm starting to see changes in him on the hardscape end of things. He doesn't lay pavers very fast and it seems like its hard for him to bend down all day long. On the skid steer he's really been backing into and bumping into things alot lately.

When he works in my other division, which is non hardscape related he seems to do quite well - no heavy lifting and no kneeling or bending over. He's never really said anything, but I think he'd rather do the work in the other division than lay pavers.

punt66
06-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I hope your employees are not on lawnsite.

clcare2
06-02-2011, 11:48 PM
i dont when to retire them but they can no longer start if they are under 25. I am getting tired of having them disappear on me.
I never even learned the name of the last one. Apparently 2:00 is too late for lunch.

DVS Hardscaper
06-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I agree, the guys under 25 do not stay long. I had a 19 yr old last summer, he worked very hard, one of the best workers I've had in a while, and we got along great. Then out of the blue - he was gone with the wind!

And yeah, 1400 hrs is a little late for lunch, especially if you start at 7 or 7:30. Always put yourself in your employees shoes.

clcare2
06-04-2011, 12:28 AM
if we are on a job site lunch and breaks are always a priority. Sometimes you just need to get away for bit and reset. i get that.
But if a guy is riding around with me all day doing quick maintenance stops, I can't stand to hear the whining. The older guys get it, they know ahead of time what is going on tomorrow and they pack a lunch.

I will say that i hope that i can still do installs when i am 58.

My Father-in-law is 67 and he dug and installed by hand his own garden pond and irrigation system last summer. He owns 5 acres and irrigated 3 of them. He just set a nice pace and kept going day after day.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
06-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Interesting subject, age discrimination!