PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Command made by Yamaha in Japan?

Bilrus61
05-31-2011, 11:22 PM
I know the smaller Kohler Command single cylinder engines are made in Japan by Yamaha. I was looking at the Scag lineup of mowers and I'm drawn to the 52" Tigercat with the 27 HP Kohler command. I've had fantastic service with my Yamaha engines here in ATVs and a golf cart. If the Kohler 27 HP Command engine (or is it moter???.....:-) is made by Yamaha in Japan that would really tip the scale for me as far as being comfortable with the engine on it. So anyone out there know for sure? Also anyone know who in Japan makes the B&S Big Blocks?

weeze
05-31-2011, 11:25 PM
i think if yamaha designed them they would be called a yamaha engine.

cuttinscott
05-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Yamaha did build the CS4, CS6, CS8.5, CS10 And the CS12 for that Wisconson based plumbing company. The best running engine that kohler ever put their name on.

Scott

cuttinscott
05-31-2011, 11:49 PM
I know the smaller Kohler Command single cylinder engines are made in Japan by Yamaha. I was looking at the Scag lineup of mowers and I'm drawn to the 52" Tigercat with the 27 HP Kohler command. I've had fantastic service with my Yamaha engines here in ATVs and a golf cart. If the Kohler 27 HP Command engine (or is it moter???.....:-) is made by Yamaha in Japan that would really tip the scale for me as far as being comfortable with the engine on it. So anyone out there know for sure? Also anyone know who in Japan makes the B&S Big Blocks?

IMO the command twins are no good.... Kohler likes to blame customers for their shortcomings.. The B&S Big Blocks and 3LC's are made by Daihatsu "Toyota" and are serviced in the US by B&S Commercial Dealers.

Scott

THG
05-31-2011, 11:50 PM
I am pretty sure the Vanguard is made by Daihatsu in Japan.

topsites
06-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Sure, and Ford is really made by Chevrolet but don't tell nobody.

Richard Martin
06-01-2011, 04:18 AM
Yamaha did build the CS4, CS6, CS8.5, CS10 And the CS12 for that Wisconson based plumbing company.

Kohler has been building engines since 1920. They are both a fixture and a engine company.

Richard Martin
06-01-2011, 04:20 AM
IMO the command twins are no good....

There are a whole lot of people that think very highly of the Command Twins, myself included. I've made a ton of money with mine.

Ridin' Green
06-01-2011, 10:42 AM
There are a whole lot of people that think very highly of the Command Twins, myself included. I've made a ton of money with mine.

Same here.

Though I very much prefer Kawasaki engines, I have had very good luck so far with Kohler command engines. If that ever changes, you can bet I'll post about it.

Snapper Jack
06-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Kohler Command engines are just as good as Kawasaki or Briggs,they all have their little niches that will bite ya.

weeze
06-01-2011, 11:15 PM
yamaha makes musical instruments

StanWilhite
06-02-2011, 03:17 AM

I know you're halfway joking about asking if it's an engine or a motor, but that's an odd situation.
As I'm sure you know, "motor" is typically associated to mean electric (or other) instead of gas (petrol).
"Engine" usually refers to gas/diesel etc.(petrol)
But......have you ever seen or heard of an "outboard engine" on a boat?
Does Michigan need to change one of it's cities nickname's to "The Engine City"?

:dizzy: :)

willowick
06-02-2011, 12:50 PM
No way man. Motown sounds waay better than Entown.

My Command works well so far. Same motor :) you're looking at I think.

Ridin' Green
06-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Actually motown should now be called outoftown now, since everyone sems to be leaving there :)

Birdhunter1
06-02-2011, 06:52 PM
If Yamaha does build them (don't care if they do or don't) and it ran as good as the Yamaha outboard I had I would not see that being a bad thing. I don't ever recall hearing any bad words on a Yamaha engine. That being said I have a Kohler command in my Grasshopper 723K.

ProStreetCamaro
06-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I myself prefer kohler engines over kawi engines. Haven't had much luck with kawi over the years. From being cold natured hard to start to kicking rods out the side of the engine they just have not treated us well. Kohler on the other hand has never failed us. My current gravely 160Z gave us the first kohler issue we have ever had. By 200 hours the engine was consuming oil and smoking non stop. Dealer tore it down and found bad rings in one cylinder. Kohler rep came and took a look and said replace all the rings, reed valves, gaskets and spark plugs. Engine now has a tad over 1000 hours and runs like a top and consumes zero oil.

topsites
06-02-2011, 09:40 PM
yamaha makes musical instruments

And Kohler, toilets.

weeze
06-02-2011, 11:50 PM
And Kohler, toilets.

yeah you're right!!!

Randy G.
06-03-2011, 07:33 AM
I myself prefer kohler engines over kawi engines. Haven't had much luck with kawi over the years. From being cold natured hard to start to kicking rods out the side of the engine they just have not treated us well. Kohler on the other hand has never failed us. My current gravely 160Z gave us the first kohler issue we have ever had. By 200 hours the engine was consuming oil and smoking non stop. Dealer tore it down and found bad rings in one cylinder. Kohler rep came and took a look and said replace all the rings, reed valves, gaskets and spark plugs. Engine now has a tad over 1000 hours and runs like a top and consumes zero oil.

I thought reed valves were only in 2 stokes?

Richard Martin
06-03-2011, 08:37 AM
I thought reed valves were only in 2 stokes?

There's an oil control reed valve on the cylinder head. Part number 24-402-05-S

jetta
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
ive lost all respect for kohler, as said earlier they always blame the customer, and when that fails they wont respond anymore...very poor customer service

elitefox
06-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Sure, and Ford is really made by Chevrolet but don't tell nobody.

To bad Ford came first huh? Found Off-road Rescueing Duramax/Dodge

Nicely played Richard

Don't forget yamaha actually made an archery bow at one point as well as building the V6 engine for the older Ford Taurus SHO's

willowick
06-05-2011, 01:25 AM

Oooh, a fact!

BTW, the old Ford SHO was designed and put together by Yamaha but OMC was pouring the parts in early ones. Great engine! I had an '89 from new; really early in the run.

The thing was way faaaaast beyond its rating. What a sleeper. I surprised more than one Corvette/Porsche in that thing.

weeze
06-05-2011, 02:06 AM
To bad Ford came first huh? Found Off-road Rescueing Duramax/Dodge

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

elitefox
06-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

WOOOOOOOW and you drive a toyota???? I'll push my Ford or Chevy before supporting the attacks on Pearl Harbor. :usflag:

Thank you to all the military men out there!!!:drinkup:

JCLawn and more
06-06-2011, 11:19 PM
And Kohler, toilets.

you know what Kubota makes? I don't know, I think B&S is a load of BS, Kohler are better at making something to flush the BS than engines. Kawi looks like the other two with a different tag. I think there needs to be an over haul in small engine design. All 3 fail way short when compared to a kubota gas engine and really any small tractor gas engine. 3,000 + hours should be the norm, thats only 120,000 miles in a car. Plus small engines right now drink gas like no other. My truck uses 5 gallons a hour and that is 210 hp v8 and you tell me we can't get better than 2-3 a hour in a 25-29 hp engine?

willowick
08-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Oooh, a fact!

BTW, the old Ford SHO was designed and put together by Yamaha but OMC was pouring the parts in early ones. Great engine! I had an '89 from new; really early in the run.

The thing was way faaaaast beyond its rating. What a sleeper. I surprised more than one Corvette/Porsche in that thing.

I had one too! The 12th SHO sold. My dad wanted a Mustang convertible and I talked him into the SHO. Hair on fire comes to mind.
1989. I was a junior in HS with access to an SHO. Good times! Probably lucky to still be alive.