PDA

View Full Version : Clumpy discharge in dry grass???

bjcottin
05-31-2011, 10:40 PM
So I have an 60" exmark Lazer z... It's one of my older mowers and it just doesnt throw the grass right no matter what i try. I cleaned the deck of it every morning with a putty knife and try not to use this mower in the morning dew. It was 92 degrees here today and the grass was still clumpling up. It not the kind u get when ur cutting in the pouring rain. It's more like lots of little clumps that get left over until next weeks cut rather then decomposing. I cut half of one of my accounts today with it when it was completely dry and then used my newer exmark for the other half.. There was a huge noticeable difference. My new one had hardly any discharge on the same yard. Both were set to the same height and had clean decks.... new highlift blades on each mower as well. Any ideas fellas? Ive yet to try power washing it but I think scraping it should work just fine

THEGOLDPRO
05-31-2011, 11:15 PM
what deck does it have on it?

Tofutti
05-31-2011, 11:32 PM
We have the same problem with our Toro (same as Xmark, basically) 60" "TurboForce" deck ZTR. This thing will clump even in dry grass if we're cutting tall stuff... Keeping the 26HP engine at max RPM (=slowing down while cutting thick/wet stuff) still clumps worse than the old (circa-1996-ish Xmarx 48-inch WB) and even the new 52" Toro (still "Turbo-Force") 20HP WB. We keep blades sharp, and decks clean underneath. No change in result.
Just wondering though, since we've always gone with "OEM" replacement blades, what exactly are the "high lift" blades? Like, what are they officially called? And I assume they just have a high back so they create more vacuum and obviously more air pushing the discharge...This help would be greatly appreciated.

Tofutti
06-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Disregard my last question about high-lift blades.... Merely a couple of minutes on google figured that one out... However, how big of a difference do those make in reality, with regard to the OP's question as well? Would Gator-blades help at all with a 60' deck?

trippy
06-07-2011, 05:56 PM
pretty easy fix. had this problem 5 years ago my dealer removed a baffle per toros directions

Tofutti
06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
pretty easy fix. had this problem 5 years ago my dealer removed a baffle per toros directions

Which baffle ( or part of the baffle) might that be? I'm quite mechanically inclined and would be able to perform this task.

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 07:09 PM
i removed ALL of the baffles on my triton deck and its an amazing machine now.

sjessen
06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Have you checked the pitch of the deck?

Snapper Jack
06-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Disregard my last question about high-lift blades.... Merely a couple of minutes on google figured that one out... However, how big of a difference do those make in reality, with regard to the OP's question as well? Would Gator-blades help at all with a 60' deck?

I would stay away from using the Gator Blades if you're experiencing clumping issues. You can't beat the Hi Lift blades when it comes to disbursal of the clippings,but the chute opening does come into play here also.

sjessen
06-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Another thing that might help with discharge on the ultra cut deck is to enlarge the discharge opening. An Exmark rep said we could go another 3" on a 60" deck. I opened mine up about 2". It does help, up to a point. If the grass is thick or wet it will still clump. But on normal height grass in good conditions the discharge has improved.

Tofutti
06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
What about the "Turbo-Force" decks? (Not trying to hijack the thread, but..)

topsites
06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
You'll need to take her in to a gynecologist and explain to the doctor this problem.

WJC
06-07-2011, 09:13 PM
If you do open up the discharge opening, make sure to leave the aft side slanted back at about a 45 degree angle so grass does not build up there. I did this on my walk behind and it made a huge difference. Before it would build up and keep dumping softball size clumps of grass all over the lawn.

Tofutti
06-07-2011, 09:15 PM
You'll need to take her in to a gynecologist and explain to the doctor this problem.

LOL good advice as always! Clumpy discharge is never a good thing..

sjessen
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM
If you do open up the discharge opening, make sure to leave the aft side slanted back at about a 45 degree angle so grass does not build up there. I did this on my walk behind and it made a huge difference. Before it would build up and keep dumping softball size clumps of grass all over the lawn.

What deck? How much did you open it up?

bjcottin
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Have you checked the pitch of the deck?

So ive heard the deck pitch should be 1/4 inch forward from most ppl on the forums. I havent touched the deck since I purchased it 5 years ago, besides some putty knife scraping. It has cut a lot better since its been dry and hot here everyday for a week. But there is still a noticeable difference between my 2 mowers. I use my new one on all my front yards while my worker uses the old one in the back and has to double cut cause the clipping dont throw smoothly onto the grass. Maybe ill try removing the baffles???

sjessen
06-07-2011, 09:19 PM
So ive heard the deck pitch should be 1/4 inch forward from most ppl on the forums. I havent touched the deck since I purchased it 5 years ago, besides some putty knife scraping. It has cut a lot better since its been dry and hot here everyday for a week. But there is still a noticeable difference between my 2 mowers. I use my new one on all my front yards while my worker uses the old one in the back and has to double cut cause the clipping dont throw smoothly onto the grass. Maybe ill try removing the baffles???

You are correct about the pitch. Another thought is the older deck may be cutting lower which makes a big difference in the amount of clippings. I would at least check the mowing heights and pitch on both units to make sure they are the same before removing baffles, etc.

bjcottin
06-07-2011, 09:25 PM
You are correct about the pitch. Another thought is the older deck may be cutting lower which makes a big difference in the amount of clippings. I would at least check the mowing heights and pitch on both units to make sure they are the same before removing baffles, etc.

messing around on my lawn over this year and last, I noticed that the old mover seems to cut just a tad shorter...probably around an 1/8 of an inch

gebby
06-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I know you said that you have new blades on both mowers. I was having this problem too. I just put on a sharp high lift set of blades. The blades I had on were still sharp but, after looking at them they were just wore out and had no lift. The sharp edges were kind of curved. The newer sharp blades took care of the problem. The old blades were not packing the grass catcher either. The old blades are now in the scrap pile.

WJC
06-07-2011, 09:26 PM
What deck? How much did you open it up?

It was a 36" Lesco/cub cadet WB that had a bad clumping issue. I took about 1 1/2" off and slanted the opening way back about 45 degrees and it works much better.

topsites
06-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Don't tell me...

That you forgot to pull the deck out of transport position.
Because that would do it.

And it would also answer the question that's been nagging me, why does everyone with their Z's keep running into this streaking
problem, Ztr's are notorious for providing the most awesome cuts at heights unheard of for a Wb...
But not if you got the deck in transport mode.

So, I mean...
Make SURE you check that out, whenever your mower isn't cutting right?
1. That the blades really are engaged.
2. And that the deck is not in the transport position.

sjessen
06-07-2011, 09:28 PM
messing around on my lawn over this year and last, I noticed that the old mover seems to cut just a tad shorter...probably around an 1/8 of an inch

Not saying this is the problem but it might be a part of it. Do you have a tool to check blade height? It really comes in handy when trying to get a mower dialed in.

gebby
06-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Just thought of something else. Are your blades all in line ? Meaning, do you have a blade not in the proper position. Have them lined up so one isn't in a position to block cut grass from flowing out as it is cut. / / / vs, / \ / I know its not the best example but, hopefully you get what I am saying. Having grass getting held up for just a split second can make a big difference. Keep it all flowing on time as the blades come around.

Runner
06-07-2011, 11:28 PM
The blades being in line wouldn't have anything to do with it. These two mowers (Exmark and Toro Z's) don't run with timed blades. If you did set them like that, by the time you engage the blades once, they would all be off.

flex deck
06-07-2011, 11:39 PM

I started using the new G6 gators, and I love them. They have a bent up lift area as well as the claws. They now have just as much lift as any blade with the advantage of cutting the clippings into tiny little pieces. You may find that they help your problem.