PDA

View Full Version : Asphalt Driveway Repair

TNGrassCutter
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Today I was backing in a customer's asphalt driveway, I got a little off the side and my trailer dragged about a 3 feet long strip about 8 inches wide at the widest point, leaving the driveway with a whitish scrape mark. The customer wasn't too concerned about this, and I told her I would find a way to have it fixed. The driveway is fairly new and has not been sealed yet according to her. Isn't there some kind of stuff I can roll on to cover the white scrape? The scrape is not very deep, no big gouge or anything, just scraped the surface and probably wouldn't even have happened if it wasn't 95 degrees outside? Any tips, tricks, or suggestions are appreciated.

THG
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
They make asphalt sealer that may help a little but it has a blue tint to it and it does not look good. If you have a propane torch you can heat it and drive over it with your truck tires and it should smooth out if it is not too deep.

TNGrassCutter
06-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Any other ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
06-01-2011, 08:09 AM
yeah i would maybe go to menards or something and get a small little bucket of sealer and just seal that area. It wont look good compared to the rest of the driveway. Is it in need of sealing? maybe you could take care of that for her and knock a little off the price or find someone to sub it out to, and then take $10 off the price or something like that.

whosedog
06-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Give her a price on sealing the entire driveway,it needs to be sealed anyhow.

lukemelo216
06-01-2011, 08:35 AM
sounds like you should also give her a price on some topsoil too arond the driveway. If you go slighly off the driveway and bottom your trailer out, the soil is to low. If it was flush with the asphalt like it should be you wouldnt be bottoming out.

FLAhaulboy
06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=TNGrassCutter;4048203]Any other ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

Go to Home Depot and buy a bag of asphalt, under $15.

flatlander42
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Why were you in the driveway? No room on the street?

I have zero asphalt exprience, no help from me...sorry!

TNGrassCutter
06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Why were you in the driveway? No room on the street?

I have zero asphalt exprience, no help from me...sorry!

Too busy of a road for street parking and limited visibility driving there.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagfreek
06-01-2011, 12:30 PM
go buy 2 to3 bags of asphalt and fix it and tell her not to drive over it while it dries do it after she comes in at night you may be working late but if you want to fix it that is what you haft to do

TNGrassCutter
06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
The homeowner called and said she was going to have the company that paved the driveway come give an estimate to fix. What am I looking at for them to put about one shovel of asphalt in, spread, and roll it? Anyone have a guess as to what it may cost?
Posted via Mobile Device

SimonCX
06-01-2011, 03:11 PM
We did the same with a front loader at a property we were working at and told them I would get it fixed, called a company that does sealing and they resealed the whole driveway since it was very small. It cost me around $100 if I remember right but the customer was happy, it was my fault and I payed for it. Lession learned, never dump products on a driveway and use the loader unless I 100% have to.

TNGrassCutter
06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Shoot is gladly pay 100 I hope its not several hundred. But they are going to patch it not seal it.
Posted via Mobile Device

asetliff
06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
First post!

Is this a hole thats dug down in it or is is just a scrape that is an eyesore?

I would go and get a bag of the asphalt from HD or Lowes and get a propane torch and a tamper and lay a small layer on. Tamper it down and be done. Probably $10 for a bag of asphalt.

lukemelo216
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
what scraped on the driveway thats what im just kinda confused about. Any driveway that I have seen even if you drive off by mistake, your not going to bottom the trailer out. I mean your talking like a good 4+" drop in order for a part of the trailer to scrap.

TNGrassCutter
06-01-2011, 04:48 PM
The bottom of the trailer under the gate. It's dovetail and the driveway drops off a good 6 inches so that back corner dug in. It's maybe close to an inch deep at the very deepest part, about 3 feet long and 8 inches wide. Mostly just a scrape but where the very corner of the trailer went down its maybe an inch deep gauge if that much. Mostly just a white scrape that's an eyesore but its a new driveway so I can understand wanting it fixed. I'm going to see what the company that did it estimates to fix it and if its high I'm going to fix it myself, I have access to a propane torch and just buy the patch mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
ok yea thats under standable. You should upsell her on some soil along the driveway to get it all nice and flush then it will prevent any future problems

Darryl G
06-03-2011, 12:23 AM
I would learn how to drive!