PDA

View Full Version : Business down due to SNIPER?

Jimbo
10-13-2002, 06:14 PM
I know a few guys on the board who live in Maryland so I thought I would post on this subject.

I live one county away from the shootings, and today I was a little concerned while I was trimming. I trim an embankment along a Major roadway and I was very nervous today (kept looking over my shoulder for a white van). Im glad I made it home becuase that guy could have picked me off no problem.

Anyone else losing business or scared to cut? Im not scared of much but I must admit I am a pretty good target sitting on a ZTR or weed-eating along a road.

Lets pray they catch this scum soon.

Jim

mdb landscaping
10-13-2002, 06:38 PM
i thought since i lived in CT it really wasnt on peoples minds. But today in the rain, i had to haul a few trailer loads with pallets of windsheild washer fluid to my fathers gas stations to stock up for winter and i had three people ask me if i was scared of the sniper working out in the open like i was. i told them i didnt really give it any thought and they will probably catch that scumbag soon. I couldnt beleive people up here were even worried about it. I cant imagine living down there.

Brickman
10-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Here is a morbid thought. When it is my time to go, I will go. Sniper or not.

Evan528
10-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Brickman
Here is a morbid thought. When it is my time to go, I will go. Sniper or not.

I couldnt of said it better myself!!!! Who has time to sit around and be scared of being randomly shot!

Guido
10-13-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Evan528
I couldnt of said it better myself!!!! Who has time to sit around and be scared of being randomly shot!

My thoughts exactly!

He wins if you sit at home. I know its scary, but sadly enought, "Thats life!"

Brickman
10-13-2002, 08:23 PM
Here is another thought.
Some people are saying on the news they are staying inside the buildings, or when they go to pump gas they start the pump and then sit in the car till its done.

That isn't gonna prevent getting shot if you are his intended target. Sitting at a light waiting to go you could be a target. Sitting at home reading you could be a target, unless you have bullet proof glass in your car or house windows.

I totally agree this scum needs to be stopped and stopped last week. I feel for the families of the dead.

I would say be prepared for the shootings to continue. Like was mentioned on the news it seems they happen mornings or evenings, and only on work days. Strange.

I also suppose that when Charles sees this thread he will blame Bush for this too. It seems that any thing wrong is Bush's fault and when ever any thing goes right then it is some body else that gets the credit. :dizzy:

Turtle II
10-13-2002, 08:34 PM
Jimbo---
I know what you're saying............One of the people killed on the first day was a commericial LCO too.......Killed while doing a commericial account. 39 years old.....

The picture of the truck the police put out yesterday looks like one of those "ISUZUE" landscaping trucks too......

Hopefully the "SOB" will be killed soon.............

Green Pastures
10-13-2002, 08:48 PM

I also suppose that when Charles sees this thread he will blame Bush for this too. It seems that any thing wrong is Bush's fault and when ever any thing goes right then it is some body else that gets the credit. :dizzy:

Brickman,

:laugh: Dude, you are too good. I was thinking the same thing. I agree with the other statement you made too, I feel for the families of the victims, but when I go I go. That's God's decision, and sniper or not all the thinking or worrying about it in the world wont change the day and time.

If I even think about it I pray this guy gets caught, and in the act so we can fry him. :gunsfirin

Scott

Floridalandcare
10-13-2002, 08:51 PM
When God pulls your time card, your done !

jalawn
10-13-2002, 09:43 PM
I live in central Md, and my partner is paranoid about this, he keeps asking me to get gas for his mowers for him. I told him, if he is scared, the sniper wins. The sniper doesn't have to shoot you to declare victory, just scare you stiff. Me personally, I could care less about going out. It is my life, and I am not going to have some @#^hole run my life. Period.

Jamie

DLS1
10-13-2002, 09:53 PM
I'm wondering if there is a run on bullet proof vest for people who work outside in the WASHINGTON D.C. area.

Is it legal to buy the vests?

Albemarle Lawn
10-13-2002, 10:28 PM
LETS FORM A POSSE OR A MILITIA AND GET HIM TOMORROW, SPLIT THE REWARD.

Is that $500,000 dead or alive? Seems like taking him alive would be too much trouble.

CMerLand
10-13-2002, 10:51 PM
JaLawn,

Tell your lazy ***** partner to get his own damn gas and get his head out of his *****. Hes one of those people that wants to be part of something bigger then he is. Like those people after 9/11 saying "WOW was I lucky, I mean i was in those trade towers three months before the planes hit......Whewwww"

Call your local police department and find out how many people were killed in traffic accidents over the past ten days in that county and Im certain its more then the 10 that ******* sniper has killed.

Is he going to be afraid to drive to work once you tell him this????

Give me a break

CMerrick

sunrise
10-13-2002, 11:28 PM
I have bought my gas at 2 of the places and will still will buy it there. Do I look over my shoulder? No more then before. If they are going to shoot me then shoot me I not going to run or hide. The news said he lives close to his last attacks, that good maybe I will find him and get the money, and for the white box truck picture they put out, there are 100's if not more of them I see every day.
Quote: Fear is the beginning of wisdom.
General William T. Sherman

1MajorTom
10-13-2002, 11:38 PM
Quote: Here is a morbid thought. When it is my time to go, I will go. Sniper or not.

Quote: I couldnt of said it better myself!!!! Who has time to sit around and be scared of being randomly shot!

Maybe single? Maybe not a parent?

It's funny how becoming a parent makes you a lot more conscious of life. Walking around scared? Nah. But probably in the back of your mind realizing that a little one is depending on you to make it home ok. So I can definitely understand how people are becoming very cautious.

Brickman
10-14-2002, 12:04 AM
Single Jodi.

In many ways better than married. After being taken advantage one time too many by a woman.

I can understand what you are trying to say. The last time there were children involved. Children that I grew to love as if they were my own, before their witch of a mother walked out. Now I hardly care, after what happened to me it just goes to prove that no matter how hard you try and how nice you are the nice guy will always get screwed in the end.

Jimbo
10-14-2002, 12:14 AM
Thanks Jodie.

I wasnt sure how to respond to the post but you said it better than I.
Also, a few of the ones that posted they are not worried dont live anywhere near here. I understand that you believe in God and when your time comes thats it. However, this guy is shooting people for no reason, and generally the easiest target = guy on the mower or getting groceries.
I just dont like the thought of having the cross hairs pointed at me and not knowing it....This guy is the root of coward!

Jim

Hoosier Mower
10-14-2002, 12:49 AM
I understand the whole "When it's your time, it's your time" but If I lived in the area I don't think I'd want to take a chance to speed up the process. I can understand both thoughts but it's definatley something to think about. It was also said that if you stay home then he wins, well even if your out there working and are looking over your shoulder all the time then he still wins because your scared and that's what serial killers are all about.

cos
10-14-2002, 12:59 AM
I betcha alot of dixie owners would disagree about being an easy target while mowing. LOL

J/K

Jimbo
10-14-2002, 01:13 AM
Even Dixi owners have to close the tail gate!

Floridalandcare
10-14-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by LSDLS
I'm wondering if there is a run on bullet proof vest for people who work outside in the WASHINGTON D.C. area. If hes shooting a .223 , a bullet-proof vest wouldnt even slow it down .The .223 is whats fired out of an M-16 and flies 3200 fps (feet per second) Granted its only a 22 calibur bullet but it will go completely through the vest through you and then punch out the back of the vest all the vest will do is flatten the bullet and make a bigger hole in you .But the people in Maryland I feel for you and like other people have said dont stop living your life.

Is it legal to buy the vests?

rross
10-14-2002, 02:49 AM
I live where the shooter killed. I drive by the gas station everyday. I stopped by the other day, and yea, I was thinking about where he would have done it, and where his car was parked, and whrer the person he shot was at. It didn;t make me as scared as I was upset and angry. That person was an older man, he was probably just getting gas to go home and see his wife, and that ***** shot him. Thats not fair!!! So far I've been by three of the places where people were killed or wounded and live right next to another, its scary to think it could be you, I don't care where you live, and no don't let someone live your life, but before a love one elaves the house, tell them how you feel, its all you have, and all you can do. I tell them everyday, and after words, I am secure enough to where, if it were me, I would feel better knowing the people I care about, knew how I felt!!! and I think you guys would too... Be safe everybody!!!

(PS- I hope they find him and send him where he belongs)

Tony Harrell
10-14-2002, 06:48 AM
I feel the same way about any terrorist, sniper or muslim extremist. Cut their heads off with a leatherman and look for another one. I don't really care if they're mentally ill or what their grievance is. Take a life,....I'll take yours if I get the chance. Wish I could get back into the service....sigh.

dr grass
10-14-2002, 09:20 AM
brickman - i couldnt of said it any better than you. that last thing in the world i am scared of is dying. its been happening for a long time now, it will happen to all of us, and it will continue to happen long after we are all dead and gone. ive got enough problems to worry about besides if i could die by a sniper. hell, the chances of getting shot by him far exceed being hit by lightning, or hit by a car.... why not sit around and worry about those things also?
jodi - i wont even give the sniper the satisfaction of knowing "in the back of my mind" that he is in it! sure, if you have little ones at home you worry about there livelyhood, but your doing more bad than good running around with the thought of dying in the back of your mind
what makes this even scarier is the survay i took. it was on the welcome page when you first log on the internet. they asked if you would change your lifestyle if the sniper was in your area. can you believe 76% of the people that took that survay said the WOULD change their lifestyle because of him.
Come on people! This guy is WINNING and your letting him!

Weak-minded is the heart of the damned - SHEP

Shep :confused:

awm
10-14-2002, 09:34 AM
i totally agree. u born u live [and if u smart u enjoy livin.] then u gonna die. about the only thing i know that makes the latter better,is if its quick. mainly just be a plus for those around u and get the
most out of the day. i also would take the responibility for pullin the trigger on this nut. to me thats sayin a lot ,as killin a man ,aint no small thing..

Gravely_Man
10-14-2002, 12:11 PM
All we can do is pray for the families of the victims and keep our eyes and ears open. Be careful and don't take any unnecessary risks. You have to be concerned but you can't live in fear or "they" have won.

Gravely_Man

The Lawn Choupique
10-14-2002, 05:59 PM
With a sniper in the area the best thing to do is to stay home and order pizza.

sunrise
10-14-2002, 11:13 PM
possible number 11. Women shot with one round in the head loading at a Home Depot in 7 Corners in Fairfax Va.

Brickman
10-14-2002, 11:43 PM
Man the cops need to get this guy.

Jimbo
10-15-2002, 12:44 AM
Yep, Sad to say it looks like the work of the sniper. There also might be some copy cats because police in Baltimore MD found a white van with a sniper manual, a rifle, and ammo. The man was detained today so its a different person that did the shooting tonight.
Looks like all the crazy people are joining in. Unless its more terrorist activity?

Jim

Turtle II
10-15-2002, 01:48 AM
terrorist activity???

I wish it was some terrorist........Who in their right mind would be doing this sh_t to their fellow americans.....

richard coffman
10-15-2002, 02:33 AM
I' go'ta let a little steam go here. I used to live in Fredericksburg, Va & then 5 years in the Washington D.C. area before owning my own company here in Utah. I'f we act scared of the sniper, he win's. The last thing we need is for a huge amount of people to get petrified of this deadbeat, and the goverment to come in and within a few votes, we would then be in a police state with less freedom. Not me, I'd rather live like an american, speak softly and carry a big stick to beat the scumbag with. It does however affect me, that one of our own was shot by this sniper. it was even worse when he deided to go and shoot an innocent 13 year old child. Now if that doesn't take the cake. The guy is disturbed and needs to be ice'd down. Shoot him on the spot would be what the guy would want. Put him through the legal system and let heaveny father have his way with this guy. just my 2 cents.:realmad:

The Mowerdude
10-15-2002, 07:51 AM
.....When it is my time to go, I will go......

I'm not trying to be adversarial or anything, but if each person "goes" when it's his/her turn, what do we need firefighters and paramedics for? Or doctors and hospitals?

Why do folks take CPR classes and rush to someone's aid, if it's that person's time to go? Or why do we keep searching for a cure for AIDS or cancer? And why do we try to curb pollution? Oh God, I think I need a drink. :dizzy:

DLS1
10-15-2002, 08:02 AM
I know what you mean MowerDude. Like people who say go about your life you can't let the sniper win, don't be scared. It is easy to say that if you don't live in D.C. area. I would rather take preventive measures and stay indoors than take a chance I or one of my family gets killed.

I know the argument that you have a higher chance of getting killed in a car accident than getting shot. The difference is I know some one is trying to kill people at random but I don't know some one is randomly trying to kill people with their car.

AVRECON
10-15-2002, 09:28 AM
I took the day off from my mortgage job monday to catch up on my mowing. We had 5.5 inches of rain here on friday. Anyway, I stopped at one of my account's and there was a sanitation guy standing on the side of the street, waiting for the trash truck to come from around the corner. He was eyballin me real good. I finally jumped out of my rig and yelled, I'm not from Va.!
I drive a white cube van, and I have a dent in the right rear bumper area too! I got a pretty good laugh out of it. No one ever gave me a second look driving that truck, until lately, I get plenty now.

cutting edge
10-15-2002, 09:58 AM
Mowerdude,

If a firefighter, doctor, etc. saves someone, then it wasn't their time to go.

Firefighter Dave
10-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Speaking of MD...

I am going to be in Emmitsburg from Oct 20 - Nov 1. Any ideas of things I can do for fun while I am there.... I have the weekend between class to do something...

Dave

PS I'll just have to keep looking over my back for the sniper also...

The Mowerdude
10-17-2002, 01:27 AM
(I spent quite a bit of time on this response. I didn't mean for it to be this long. But after reading it, I couldn't think of what I would leave out, so I'm posting all of it. But I'm worried that someone will take offense, so let me say that absolutely no offense is intended in any way. But this has been a passionate topic for my own personal meditation for years.)

Originally posted by cutting edge
Mowerdude,

If a firefighter, doctor, etc. saves someone, then it wasn't their time to go.

Well, Ok, but what you're saying is that if it's someone's time to go, it's predetermined? It's in the cards and nothing you or I can do will change it? Fate?

So then, if it's predetermined why bother trying? You might say that it's predetermined that we try to cure cancer. (for example) But it's also predetermined whether or not we find the cure. Or it's predetermined that someone will be involved in a horrific accident, we are predetermined to try and save this person's life, because it's fate. So where does God come into it? If we say that we beleive in God, and then we say that our lives are predetermined, is God controlling things so that regardless of what we ask him for, he's going to do with us whatever he's decided already? If so, why does he listen to our prayers when we ask for a close family member to recover from an accident (for example) when he's already decided whether or not he'll help this person? It doesn't make sense to me that a god that claims to be loving would allow us to be holding onto hope if fate has already decided that our loved one will pass away. Or maybe a father has this life long dream of seeing his son grow up to become a fine man, but God has already determined that he won't live that long. Would that not be extremely cold on God's part?

Let's take the September 11th tragedy for another example. If we believed that it was time for those victims to die, why memorialize them and why bother trying to hunt down the culprits? If we believe that this was all fate, Bin Laden and his cronies are not to blame. They would simply be following their pre-ordained course of action. Or this sniper; if this is all predetermined, why bother trying to catch him? He'll stop shooting folks when fate/God says he will.

On the other hand, what if it's NOT predetermined? What if our actions DO in fact make a difference? What if God listens to our prayers and answers them in the manner that he knows is best? If we say that it's our time to go, but in fact, there's no such thing as fate, do we not hurt God's feelings when, instead of relying on him, we give up in the belief that it's no use, things have already been decided? Could we not especially disappoint him if we fail to take action and change the outcome for the better? Isn't there a scripture that says God will help the one who helps himself?

And if it's NOT predetermined that the World Trade Center had to come down, then it makes sense that Bin Laden and his cronies should be made to atone AND steps to prevent further vicious acts would NOT be in vain. In fact, they would save countless lives in the future.

A buddy of mine and I used to have this conversation a lot. That's probably why I answer the way I do, because I've already had this line of reasoning honed. My buddy had seen a lot of action in Vietnam. He said that beleiving that when it was time to go, you go, was how all the soldiers in his platoon handled the constant fear and stress of knowing that the next moment could be the last one. It's how they explained away why, when their Huey was taking fire, one man took a bullet and the men on either side escaped unharmed. It didn't make any sense.

I agreed, that it didn't make any sense to me either, but I really couldn't see how it was fate. I felt like it was blind luck. I think there is a huge difference. And I also feel that while God certainly is watching and takes a huge interest in each and every one of us, he doesn't reach in and manipulate every little event to change outcomes. Rather, he gives us the strength to cope and the guidance to continue. I also have no doubt in my mind, that he has a plan for mankind in general, but as individuals, we're subject to bad things happening simply because bad things happen.

I think that much of whether or not a person believes in fate has to do with how much a person believes in God. And I really think my Vietnam Vet buddy had gotten to doubting the existence of God because of all the horror he had seen. He did not understand how God could allow that to continue. I have my ideas on that one too, but it's a subject for another time.

corban
10-17-2002, 02:58 AM
I have to agree. Society has taught us that death is God's job. You will probably never attend a funeral that will not have mention about God's timing. But if you really talk to the preacher or whoever, and take a look at real theology from the bible, God is not always the decision maker on death.
God offers us true freedom. Freedom to sin, freedom to not, freedom to choose Christ as Lord, freedom to choose self as lord. Whith those freedoms come the freedom to recieve consequences for our decisions. True freedom means God allows things in life (and death) to play out. With prayer he intervenes, directs, and sometimes alters what happens. He made us with individual wills and the only way to truly appreciate our decision to follow him comes when we truly have the option not to follow him.
If you're a Christian, God doesn't really feel loss when you die. One thing is for sure; God does not will any non-Christian to die and go to hell. If you die a non-Christian, God hurts.

corban
10-17-2002, 03:06 AM
Summary:

My grandpa died from a heart attack at 67. My brother was hit by a car and died at 19. Is God a grandpa and brother killer? Certainly not. With true freedom comes a price. The price is living with the uncertainties of freedom. The same is true with any war ever fought. Freedom is not free.

Jimbo
10-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Dave,

I live about 6 miles from the Fire Academy. There is not much to do in that general area, but if you have a car you can find stuff within an hour drive or less depending on what your interests are.
E-mail me with things you are interested in and I can help you further.

Jim

LAWNS AND MOWER
10-17-2002, 07:48 PM
My mother and 2 brothers live in or near Montgomery County. My nephew goes to the same school where the 13 year old was shot. This peckerhead needs to be caught. Hitting too close to home. One question. Why are the cops telling us all of there moves? Why would you let out he has a taillight out?? Do you know when you have a taillight out unless you get pulled over???

LAWNS AND MOWER

Turtle II
10-24-2002, 06:44 PM
Jimbo,
They were caught right in your neck of the woods!!!

To bad you didnt see them and could collect the 1/2 million dollars......

Anyone notice the name change "Muhammad"??? WTF...........

LAWNGODFATHER
10-24-2002, 10:00 PM
SNIPER HAS BEEN COUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimbo
10-24-2002, 11:06 PM
Glad its finally over. Hard to believe that they made it up my way, and not many miles away either. I live in the town of Thurmont (just moved) but all my business is in Frederick City.
Who knows...maybe he was planning to wake up the next morning and take out some people from Frederick?

I wish they would do a prime time execution!

Jim