PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Grass Seeding

Evins77
06-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey there one of my clients had a weed overrun yard so i put our weed and feed, which killed the right half of the yard because all it was weeds. Now she wants me to seed the yard. Ive done multiple overseeding jobs in existing lawns with fescue. But this will be the first to completely seed the yard. My understanding of the process is
1. Kill off any thing on the lawn with roundup
2. scalp the killed stuff with the mower
3. Till up the area
4. Seed, starter fertelier, then compact
5. Put down straw or something of that sort
6. Water every day

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

wrager
06-02-2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=183622

South Florida Lawns
06-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Burn down, tear out, then sod, or in your case seed. Make sure the irrigation works.

underPSI
06-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I recently did a Bermudagrass conversion from Fescue on my personal yard. I spread starter fertilizer 2 weeks before I planned on seeding. The day of the planned seeding I scalped the grass and followed with a dethatcher. I used a slit-seeder set on 1/4" to spread the seed. Worked beautifully as I now have baby Bermuda growing consistently throughout the yard.

Keys for success:
Soil temp above 70.
Seed to soil contact.
Maintain moisture!

New2TheGreenIndustry
06-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Should you cover with wheat straw?

underPSI
06-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Wheat straw will help hold moisture. I don't like to use wheat straw because of the weed seed it will induce. When I seed a yard I recommend to water at morning and night. Normally I don't recommend watering at night since it can lead to fungus development. However, I have found that watering newly-planted lawns at night the seed germination results are better since the seed stays moist longer due to low evaporation. Once the seed has germinated I recommend the yard to be watered less frequently but more heavily during the morning hours to promote deeper root growth and allows the lawn to dry during the day. Pennington's "penkoted" seed has a coating that deters bird consumption and helps retain moisture around the seed. I have actually had comparable germination time results with their seed which is unhulled compared to hulled Bermuda seed.