PDA

View Full Version : How to drop a customer?

exmarkguy123
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I have a customer that has dog crap all over his yard, is a pain in the rear to actually get a hold of, and doesn't seem to motivated in actually taking care of his yard. I'm considering dropping him, but i just don't know how.

Darryl G
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Dear Mr. Soandso: We regret to inform you that effective after your scheduled mow on (insert date) we will no longer be able to provide lawn service for your property located at (insert address). It has been a pleasure working for you. We trust that this is sufficient notice for you to secure another service provider........

No detailed explanation is needed. If pressed you can just say that his lawn no longer fits your business model or something vague along those lines. In my experience, customers can get offended when you drop them, especially if you give them specific reasons. Personally, I rarely drop customers mid season. I usually just bump their price up 40% or so the next season. That way if they decide to keep you, at least it's worth the trouble.

AzLawnMan
06-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Why drop him??? doesnt make sense too me, I have never dropped a customer. If he's happy with the work being done then whats your problem? You cant get a hold of him? Hell I wish I wasnt able to get a hold of some customers. I keep customers till the get rid of me, in the mean time I keep getting paid.

MowHouston
06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I first ask them to pick up after their dog, stating that it is difficult to mow a lawn while inhaling their dog's feces.

If they still don't do it, I tell them we cant do it anymore.

I don't send letters, I call them.

Km81
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Why dont you just call and talk it over with him instead of throwing $ out the window?