PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper Dominator

FastMan
06-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Wow,,, that's all I can say,,, Wow!

fier23
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Wow, you mean Why? That thing looks like a forklift with a belly mower. I do not see the point. And I bet it costs some change. I don't see it being a big seller.
Posted via Mobile Device

johndeeretech09
06-02-2011, 12:23 AM
all dixies are junk. have worked on way too many of them. wouldnt take one if someone gave the junk to me.

Richard Martin
06-02-2011, 03:16 AM
all dixies are junk. have worked on way too many of them. wouldnt take one if someone gave the junk to me.

My 2003 Dixie Chopper Extreme Mowchine will run circles around any Deere ZTR made and will do it for 1,000 more hours than the Deere will last.

MOHUSTLER
06-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Dixie chopper mowers are not junk. They have thier place in the industry. And every mower we ride has taken a page out of Dixie Chopper's book along the line.

Now the dominator.....that might be junk......hahaha

I cant see any need for that mower at all.

If your hill is to steep for your current ZTR then get a walk behind. If its to steep for your walk behind plant shrubs on it and dont mow it.

johndeeretech09
06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
My 2003 Dixie Chopper Extreme Mowchine will run circles around any Deere ZTR made and will do it for 1,000 more hours than the Deere will last.
1. that wont happen. everything is so weak and terribly designed on those things. nothing is easy to work on and now where close to user friendly.

2. a deere will out cut and perform those things any day hands down. those decks are junk.

oh and thats probly why there is probly why for every 1 dixie theres probly 10 deeres out there.

flatlander42
06-02-2011, 10:33 AM
1. that wont happen. everything is so weak and terribly designed on those things. nothing is easy to work on and now where close to user friendly.

2. a deere will out cut and perform those things any day hands down. those decks are junk.

oh and thats probly why there is probly why for every 1 dixie theres probly 10 deeres out there.

Must be lots of commercial mowing going on up there in wayne. Town of what....10k? Farming town, of course you like jd.

I personally have never seen anything more than the average joe on a jd tractor.

MOHUSTLER
06-02-2011, 11:46 AM

First off I and everyone else on this board have seen the best stripes ever layed to this day done by a dixie chopper and eric elms. He was an artist.

And second I am not a big fan of dixie chopper but on an open area they will out cut anything made hands down. Might not be as pretty as other brands but speed makes money.

Plus il take that extra 5k I saved over the john deere and buy a second mower for the price of 1 deere. :hammerhead:

dhardin53
06-02-2011, 12:51 PM
johndeeretech We get your point ok. You don't like Dixie Chopper. I can find small, older DC and smaller older John Deere's every where that is poorly maintained and call it junk.
Some JD engineering is good some makes me wonder.

Everyone has a JD for reasons other than there the Greatest mower ever. A great number of sales are the city slicker that wants to look like the high end farmer. JD has good market saturation for its tractor/combines not its lawn mower alone.

I help farm in the fall and spring with a farmer, he bought a new tractor and a 1 year old combine and in his deal was nearly given a new ZTR to boot. He tried it and did not like it and it is never used. He would take it back but he dose not want to insult the dealer. He is using and like his older commercial high end ZTR (not DC) , he is discourage with JD ZTR.

I have limited brand Loyalty, I have mower with a JD and may other over the years. But the one think that bothers me is the cost of Green paint. It must be expensive because the part for repair are 20 to 30% hight for JD.

Looking at your name its understandable your life is very ingrained in JD fine. Anyone would, but there is no need to go overboard and label DC all junk. Dc may have and has had issues but if there as junk as you say they would not have lasted 2 years let alone nearly 20 years.

Richard Martin
06-02-2011, 01:07 PM

I'm not going to try to have a battle of the wits with an unarmed man.

Oh... And the reason there's 10 deers to every Dixie...

You can not and nor will you ever be able to buy a Dixie at a Lowes, the Home Depot or Tractor Supply. We'll leave those mowers to the home owner types, such as yourself. :laugh:

Just how much of that dear is stamped "MADE IN CHINA" anyway? Hmmm?

Curtis
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I,ve owned two Dixies for ten years, both have about 1300 hrs on them , still going strong day in and day out they help me pay the bills.

THG
06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't own a Dixie or a John Deere but I can see a market for this Dominator. There are several areas that are steep slopes but to large to use a walk behind. I think this mower will attract people looking to mow steep terrains and be profitable.

LawnCareNoobie
06-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm not going to try to have a battle of the wits with an unarmed man.

Oh... And the reason there's 10 deers to every Dixie...

You can not and nor will you ever be able to buy a Dixie at a Lowes, the Home Depot or Tractor Supply. We'll leave those mowers to the home owner types, such as yourself. :laugh:

Just how much of that dear is stamped "MADE IN CHINA" anyway? Hmmm?

The Lowes/Home Depot comment was rather stupid. You talk as if there are $10,000 JD commercial zero turns sitting out front of those stores.

Unless that was some sort of lame name calling, make sure you get the name right. The 820A I have at work has "made in USA" molded right in the metal. Some parts may be made in other countries but all mowers are put together in USA. I'm sure Dixie Chopper makes EVERYTHING on those mowers though.

LawnCareNoobie
06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Must be lots of commercial mowing going on up there in wayne. Town of what....10k? Farming town, of course you like jd.

I personally have never seen anything more than the average joe on a jd tractor.

Of course what you have seen in your area (Nebraska? lol) would also be true elsewhere.

LawnCareNoobie
06-02-2011, 10:22 PM
johndeeretech We get your point ok. You don't like Dixie Chopper. I can find small, older DC and smaller older John Deere's every where that is poorly maintained and call it junk.
Some JD engineering is good some makes me wonder.

Everyone has a JD for reasons other than there the Greatest mower ever. A great number of sales are the city slicker that wants to look like the high end farmer. JD has good market saturation for its tractor/combines not its lawn mower alone.

I help farm in the fall and spring with a farmer, he bought a new tractor and a 1 year old combine and in his deal was nearly given a new ZTR to boot. He tried it and did not like it and it is never used. He would take it back but he dose not want to insult the dealer. He is using and like his older commercial high end ZTR (not DC) , he is discourage with JD ZTR.

I have limited brand Loyalty, I have mower with a JD and may other over the years. But the one think that bothers me is the cost of Green paint. It must be expensive because the part for repair are 20 to 30% hight for JD.

Looking at your name its understandable your life is very ingrained in JD fine. Anyone would, but there is no need to go overboard and label DC all junk. Dc may have and has had issues but if there as junk as you say they would not have lasted 2 years let alone nearly 20 years.

What model zero turn was the JD? If it was an 800 series I can understand. I personally don't care for them since they are like trying to drive around a skid steer with a mower deck. That's how the hydro response is like.

I can agree with you. That person went overboard with calling DC junk. No one is going to get a serious response talking like that. I think most commercial brands out there are pretty good and hold up well. I have used several brands of zero turns. When I used Exmark (through a job at trugreen). I used an older model and one of their newest ones with those Parker pumps that JD 800 series has. I didn't exactly get that "wow" feeling nor did sense any reason to own this over another mower. Well built good machines though. Most of the time in the end it comes down to personal preference.

mowerbrad
06-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I really don't see the dominator taking off. One thing that I notice is that the caster assembly is pretty slow to raise and lower, so turning around would seem awkward. I think it has a very limited market.

Regarding the on going JD vs. Dixie argument, I have owned both brands. I owned a 2009 Dixie Chopper Classic 3360HP and currently own a JD Z925A with 54" deck. The Dixie's place was definately on larger properties as it could cut super fast. However, the Dixie just didn't live up to my expectations. I was unable to get the machine to bag well and I really didn't feel that safe on hills with that machine. The cut was nice but the machine was just too aggressive (customers were very unsure about it being on their property).

The Deere on the other hand has exceeded my expectations, the cut is definately sharper, the hillside stability is way better, customers love the results it leaves and it bags better than any mower I have used. The Deere is slower than the Dixie in large open lots, but it still keeps up a very good pace. I also find the Deere to be more user friendly and natural to operate.

Both manufacturers make a good mower, but to me the Deere works much better than the Dixie (in my situation). And as far as price goes, both mowers cost nearly the same when it was all said and done.

A-1 LAWN
06-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I can see why dc built a mower like this.but I think they should have thought out the design alittle more. there is a need for four wheel drive,for those mowing dams etc.. the front lift is just a poor design.looks like a weak link.time will tell.

knox gsl
06-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I think I would save my money for something more pratical. That mower isn't for the average LCO but more for the homeowner with to much free time and money.

flatlander42
06-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Of course what you have seen in your area (Nebraska? lol) would also be true elsewhere.

I was talking about JD brand Mowers. I have not seen a JD brand z out mowing. You think I'm a hick, I think you are a city slicker.

LawnCareNoobie
06-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I was talking about JD brand Mowers. I have not seen a JD brand z out mowing. You think I'm a hick, I think you are a city slicker.

So what is your point about not seeing a JD zero turn in your area? Brands are common in certain areas and not so common in others. I see plenty of JD zero turns on peoples trailers around here, so...

I didn't call you a "hick" nor do I care what you are. You can think whatever you want. If you saw that I had Rochester NY for my location (which is a city),go ahead and assume that I actually live in the city. I simply used it because people would know where that is more likely than some small no name town near it. I grew up in the middle of nowhere in NY (yes, majority of the state is pretty rural) with nothing but corn field surrounding my house and across the street. I currently live in a small suburb area or village area with a "main street" and a couple roads that go off of that. Hardly a city slicker.

Richard Martin
06-04-2011, 06:28 AM
The Lowes/Home Depot comment was rather stupid. You talk as if there are $10,000 JD commercial zero turns sitting out front of those stores.

Unless that was some sort of lame name calling, make sure you get the name right. The 820A I have at work has "made in USA" molded right in the metal. Some parts may be made in other countries but all mowers are put together in USA. I'm sure Dixie Chopper makes EVERYTHING on those mowers though.

Why is it stupid? It's the truth.

I will call those puke green and baby do yellow mowers anything I like.

MOHUSTLER
06-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Im going to take richards side here, If I have one more cusomer come in and want thier "john deere" looked at cause in the first 10 hours the tranny went out and the "service" they paid for said it would be 6-8 weeks to get repaired. I might pull my hair out of my head.

And then to top it off have them get offended when I tell them that its not a john deere its an MTD. Here is usuauly how the converstaion goes.

Customer: " I have a john deere that has an issue with (any part). I cant find anyone to work on it and john deere said it would be (any redicilous over priced part you wish to insert)."

US: "Well thats no problem for me to get parts for your mower, Its not actuauly built by john deere" Its built by MTD."

Customer: "No its a john Deere, the guy at lowes told me it was, And its green just like the john deeres sold at the dealerships"

US: " Its actuauly not built by john deere, they sold thier name to MTD so they could make more money off the little guy like yourself, Good news is its easy to get parts for since ITS AN MTD!!!"

Customer: "Well I dont know why the highschool kid at lowes told us we were buying a actuauly john deere when we wernt, Its even PAINTED GREEN, and has a briggs and stratton engine with a john deere sticker stuck on it right here"

:hammerhead:

ALC-GregH
06-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Customer: " I have a john deere that has an issue with (any part). I cant find anyone to work on it and john deere said it would be (any redicilous over priced part you wish to insert)."

US: "Well thats no problem for me to get parts for your mower, Its not actuauly built by john deere" Its built by MTD."

Customer: "No its a john Deere, the guy at lowes told me it was, And its green just like the john deeres sold at the dealerships"

US: " Its actuauly not built by john deere, they sold thier name to MTD so they could make more money off the little guy like yourself, Good news is its easy to get parts for since ITS AN MTD!!!"

Customer: "Well I dont know why the highschool kid at lowes told us we were buying a actuauly john deere when we wernt, Its even PAINTED GREEN, and has a briggs and stratton engine with a john deere sticker stuck on it right here"

:hammerhead:

Hilarious. It's funny how some people are so gullible to believe what a young kid will say just because he has a Lowes badge on. Obviously the guy didn't do any research on what he was buying other then the quick conversation with a kid. The way JD does business using a cheap brand to put their name on is why I'll never buy a JD. (I'm not talking about the commercial side) That and the way they treated loyal dealers by sticking a knife in their back.

LawnCareNoobie
06-04-2011, 11:59 AM

What is the truth? Did someone say that JD mowers at Lowes were great machines? I don't think they are and I wouldn't buy one. It's stupid because you are branching a $1500 mower sold at Lowes to a $10,000 mower that isn't sold at Lowes. What does this have to do with Commercial Zero turns, or better yet commercial JD zero turns?

MJB
06-04-2011, 12:38 PM
What is the truth? Did someone say that JD mowers at Lowes were great machines? I don't think they are and I wouldn't buy one. It's stupid because you are branching a $1500 mower sold at Lowes to a $10,000 mower that isn't sold at Lowes. What does this have to do with Commercial Zero turns, or better yet commercial JD zero turns?

Someone stated there were 10 JD's for every Dixie Chopper. I think that is why Richard made the comment about JD being soldat box stores. Everyone is buying the cheapies, not the commercial units. I've never seen a commercial JD being sold in my city at all. But I have seen some of those cheapies on trailers from the box stores.

I went to my JD dealer last week and he won't bring in commercial mowers tried to sell me a residential unit for $5000. No thanks.

LawnCareNoobie
06-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Someone stated there were 10 JD's for every Dixie Chopper. I think that is why Richard made the comment about JD being soldat box stores. Everyone is buying the cheapies, not the commercial units. I've never seen a commercial JD being sold in my city at all. But I have seen some of those cheapies on trailers from the box stores.

I went to my JD dealer last week and he won't bring in commercial mowers tried to sell me a residential unit for $5000. No thanks.

Ooh ok. Lol I can't believe I didn't get all this until you mentioned that. Sorry people nevermind my responses.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Ooh ok. Lol I can't believe I didn't get all this until you mentioned that. Sorry people nevermind my responses.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's fun to get everyone excited sometimes. :waving: Only this time I didn't do it haha.

mowerbrad
06-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Let's clear a few things up about this whole John Deere made by MTD thing. I know you guys are referring to the particular models sold at Lowes and Home Depot, so I will focus this response toward the 100 series lawn tractors.

The 100 Series lawn tractors from John Deere are NOT contracted out to MTD for manufacturing. The 100 Series tractors are built in a John Deere factory (John Deere Power Products) located in Greeneville, TN. The factory started out in the 80's as a satillite facility to the larger turf facility in Wisconsin. This particular factory now is responsible for production of all 100 series lawn tractor's.

http://www.shingoprize.org/files/uploads/AwardRecipients/ShingoPrize/10-JohnDeereGreenevilleTN.pdf

http://greenevillesun.com/story/301008

kmzlawncare
06-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Never had a JD but in my town Dixie's are used by 90% of all lawn care professionals. I'm sure in other towns Its different maybe JD. But I don't call JD or any other commercial mower junk just different .

THG
06-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Mowerbrad,
If the John Deere's at Home Depot and Lowes are actually made by John Deere then I cannot figure out if that is a good thing or not for John Deere. Like I said I don't own any Deere equipment but always thought of John Deere as a good company until they started putting out the Box store products. I think most would agree that the Box store JD's are no better than the other box store brands which I think hurts John Deere's reputation. JD's commercial mowing equipment is very good equipment and their farm grade equipment is as well but I think I liked it better when I thought their Depot brand was made by someone else.

LawnCareNoobie
06-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Mowerbrad,
If the John Deere's at Home Depot and Lowes are actually made by John Deere then I cannot figure out if that is a good thing or not for John Deere. Like I said I don't own any Deere equipment but always thought of John Deere as a good company until they started putting out the Box store products. I think most would agree that the Box store JD's are no better than the other box store brands which I think hurts John Deere's reputation. JD's commercial mowing equipment is very good equipment and their farm grade equipment is as well but I think I liked it better when I thought their Depot brand was made by someone else.

The only positive I see in it for Deere is that they are making a profit off these people who think they are getting real JD tractor quality out of these $1500 machines. This is where JD's reputation gets tarnished. People who don't really understand the differences between a $1500 mower and a $8000 mower will probably think that all JD is bad. Stupid of them to not do their homework or simply look at the machine itself. Thinner metals, more plastic, etc. Personally I don't understand why JD went with the box store market (other than more $). I rarely hear any positives about those mowers. If I do it's from a home owner who hasn't really experienced a top notch mower.

Hawkshot99
06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
The only positive I see in it for Deere is that they are making a profit off these people who think they are getting real JD tractor quality out of these $1500 machines. This is where JD's reputation gets tarnished. People who don't really understand the differences between a $1500 mower and a $8000 mower will probably think that all JD is bad. Stupid of them to not do their homework or simply look at the machine itself. Thinner metals, more plastic, etc. Personally I don't understand why JD went with the box store market (other than more $). I rarely hear any positives about those mowers. If I do it's from a home owner who hasn't really experienced a top notch mower.

For the homeowner who just mows their own place, they are good mowers.

tuffram
06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Let's clear a few things up about this whole John Deere made by MTD thing. I know you guys are referring to the particular models sold at Lowes and Home Depot, so I will focus this response toward the 100 series lawn tractors.

The 100 Series lawn tractors from John Deere are NOT contracted out to MTD for manufacturing. The 100 Series tractors are built in a John Deere factory (John Deere Power Products) located in Greeneville, TN. The factory started out in the 80's as a satillite facility to the larger turf facility in Wisconsin. This particular factory now is responsible for production of all 100 series lawn tractor's.

http://www.shingoprize.org/files/uploads/AwardRecipients/ShingoPrize/10-JohnDeereGreenevilleTN.pdf

http://greenevillesun.com/story/301008

If I were a JD employee, I would be ashamed that such a big name company with all its history and tradition was building such a pile of crap mower with the JD name on it for Joe blow. All of those Lowes, HD, TS mowers and ZTR are pure cheap crap and give JD a bad name. I would rather tell them it was made by MTD or someone other than a JD company to save face. If they wanted to target homeowners for sales, they should have put a different name on it and color or something like that.

mowerbrad
06-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Mowerbrad,

When Deere started selling in the big box stores, they made a move to expand their customer base. Often times people do not go into actual equipment dealers to buy their new lawn mower, they just go to HD or Lowes, why....because the dealer may be an hour away but HD is just 10 minutes down the road. This allowed Deere to have an even larger customer base while still keeping their product mainly at dealers (its not like they offer all series at HD and Lowes).

When John Deere came out with the 100 series sold in the big box stores, they came out with a product to meet a certain price point. You have to remember that these consumers may only want to spend $1800 on a new mower, they are not going to buy the higher end 300, 500 or 700 series mowers because they can't afford $3500+ for a lawn mower. But most people who buy the 100 series don't mow large lots, these are homeowners who live in neighborhoods with 1/3 acre lawns. These homeowners just want to "keep up with the Jeffersons" so they get a John Deere lawn mower and think is all good. These people may only put 40-50 hours on their mower every year, so getting several years of service out of the mower is not a problem.

The 100 series allowed Deere to compete in a whole new market. The 100 series is not their "high-end" line, it was just made to fit a price point. Just because Deere started to offer a "budget friendly" lawn mower for homeowners, doesn't mean they don't still build quality equipment (higher end lawn tractors and commercial equipment). It was a good business stratigy for Deere.

MOHUSTLER
06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I guess its like buying a ford Fiesta and expecting it to be an F350 powerstroke.

99% of the problem is the people buying them just see the green paint and think its the classic "john deere" when its not!

tuffram
06-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I guess its like buying a ford Fiesta and expecting it to be an F350 powerstroke.

99% of the problem is the people buying them just see the green paint and think its the classic "john deere" when its not!

Could not agree more!!!

THG
06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
I understand why JD went into the market but I would have thought they would have tried to be a notch above a Craftsman mower but there not. Stihl makes a homeowner series of handhelds and they are atleast a notch better than typical homeowner brands sold at Sears.

fier23
06-08-2011, 04:18 AM
I will say I have seen more deere commercial ztr's with less than 500hrs with new replaced engines on them than I can count on two hands for sale. Might be the kawasaki engines but makes me think twice about buying one for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Wow,,, that's all I can say,,, Wow!

Thinking about buying one not sure about mowing with it
My thinking is a V plow on the front chains all around What a Snow plow rig fits on sidewalks

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-09-2011, 11:57 PM
all dixies are junk. have worked on way too many of them. wouldnt take one if someone gave the junk to me.If u have somebody wanting give you one Send my way I'll take it
I,m a owner of 8

All still run and will run longer and harder then any JokeDeere

lawnsunlimited6
06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
choppers are for grass,john deeres are for farming!!!!! the majority knows this!

Richard Martin
06-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Don't you just hate it when the Chinese spam 14 separate sub forums.