PDA

View Full Version : Scag Tiger Cub choking. Air Cleaner?

poohboy
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Scag Tiger Cub - STC48A-19KA
48" mower, 19 hp Kawasaki motor.

Last week I mowed for the first time this year. The mower seemed like it was a little low on power. I figured the blades probably need sharpened.

Headed to a different location, I stopped and got gas. When I tried to mow the next place, the mower wouldn't hardly run.
I thought maybe it was bad gas. I tried different gas. Still won't power up properly.
Seems to run OK but when I kick on the blades it seems really low on power.
Sometimes the motor acts like it is fouling one of the spark plugs. It probably is.

Today I wondered if the air filter was plugged up. I took off the cover and pulled the filter. It doesn't LOOK bad.
I never tried it before, but I started the motor with the filter OFF. It runs GREAT.
I don't want to run it without some air filter. Is there something I am missing?

How often do you change the $$ paper filter?

In looking online for new filters, I see that there is maybe supposed to be a foam wrap that goes around the paper air filter?
That foam is probably washable. Is that foam wrap missing and causing me troubles?

Do you have a foam filter wrap?

I though about trying to figure out if there is an adjustment on the carb. Is mine just set too rich and with the air filter on there is restricts the air intake just that much to make a difference and make it run bad?

The fuel filter never looks like it has fuel in it. :confused:
My fuel filter is right there beside the motor.
The filter is clear plastic. It is inline between the tank selector valve and the fuel pump on the side of the motor.
Does your fuel filter look empty, even with the motor running?

Bluffman
06-02-2011, 07:52 PM
I replace my fuel filter every spring and around mid-summer on my Cub. Maybe dirty gas but mine is noticeable and that's the first thing I do.

cuttinscott
06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
May have the WRONG air Filter. They have 2 filters that LOOK the same but are very different! one is designed for the early style with a external vent carb and the newer one is for the newer type internally vented carb..

early type #11013-7024
newer type #11013-7027

both use the same foam wrapper. #11013-7009

The newer type air filter on the older type carb will make the engine run very Rich and will soon foul the spark plugs

Scott

topsites
06-02-2011, 09:56 PM
That foam wrap is called a pre-filter, it is optional but at $3 a pre-filter it will
make that $20 air filter last a lot longer, plus they are washable but you need to
soak it lightly in oil before installing.

I recommend buy one air, two pre.
And the reason you want two is so when one is dirty you put the clean one on.
Then wash the dirty one when you get a chance but either way it has to air dry!

RSK Property Maintenance
06-02-2011, 11:32 PM
i have the same machine with around 270hrs same 19hp kawi and i have done 1 fuel filter and maybe 2 air fiters. i take the air filter off and if I can see light through it and it doesn't look very dirty i'll put it back on, and the fuel filter, well when the machine starts to get a little low on power i know its time to change the fuel filter, I have never touched the carb on the mower and don't plan to it really is a beast for being such a small engine.

poohboy
06-02-2011, 11:44 PM
May have the WRONG air Filter. They have 2 filters that LOOK the same but are very different! one is designed for the early style with a external vent carb and the newer one is for the newer type internally vented carb..

early type #11013-7024
newer type #11013-7027

both use the same foam wrapper. #11013-7009

The newer type air filter on the older type carb will make the engine run very Rich and will soon foul the spark plugs

Scott

Thank you for the numbers.

I did take the old filter with me today and got another one.
They match the #11013-7024 numbers for the early type.
They gave me a #11013-7025 foam wrapper.

The mower runs better. It still seems like it is running rich.

Is the carb adjustable?

when the machine starts to get a little low on power i know its time to change the fuel filter

Maybe time for a new fuel filter. I don't think it is that old. Maybe just some bad gas.