PDA

View Full Version : What makes a great Distributor?

emby
06-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Hello everybody,

Since there is another thread running with a list of Distributors and Suppliers I thought it would be a good time to share our thoughts about what we look for when working with a distributor.

What kinds of things would make a distributor stand out from all the rest?

As a designer/contractor what do you look for when choosing a distributor?

For example are they simply interested in volume or do they really care about each and every project that your working on? Do they provide you samples of lower, mid and high range fixtures for your design thoughts?

Raising the bar with your design's and proposal's is a part of excelling your business and if your going to put all that energy in making your business stand out, dont' you think that your distributor should do the same.

Lets here it.......

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-02-2011, 01:01 AM
1: Carry inventory of all the components you ask them to carry. Having your own shelf with max / min levels is even better.
2: They manage all warranty issues in house with a direct and immediate replacement or credit policy.
3: They offer excellent terms, either NET60 or a significant discount for payment upon delivery.
4: They keep their staff up to date with industry trends, events, news, products, vendors, etc.
5: They offer reasonable 'free freight' minimums or offer in-house delivery of goods.
6: They will not hesitate to help you out of a bind, deliver product right to site when necessary, even if they have to put it in a cab to get it there.
7: They admit their mistakes and implement programs to rectify issues with procurement, billing, etc.
8: They assign one individual to manage your account.

Im sure more will come to me...

(and yes, I actually have a distributor who does most if not all of the above)

Alan B
06-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Availability, price, service, support, return policy, warranty.

1a. Only carry quality products worthy of your reputation.
1. Always have all items (including pro-grade cast brass) in stock.
2. All items ship same day.
3. Best prices so you have have the biggest profit.
4. Live knowledgeable help and service.
5. Takes the contractors side in regards to returns, exchanges, warranty items -- no questions asked, no fine print (aka does not cover... xyz). Return at any time for any reason for a new replacement free of charge.
6. Lifetime warranty.
7. If you have a problem they send out a replacement immediately (and not wait for you to send back the return). This keeps customer down time to a min.
8. The ability to send 2 or even 200 of any fixture to you immediately.

If you have a local distributor that can do all that awesome. If not choose a national one than can such as Landscape Lighting World.

Thanks for the opportunity at some shameless self promotion.:waving:

indylights
06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Availability, price, service, support, return policy, warranty.

1a. Only carry quality products worthy of your reputation.
1. Always have all items (including pro-grade cast brass) in stock.
2. All items ship same day.
3. Best prices so you have have the biggest profit.
4. Live knowledgeable help and service.
5. Takes the contractors side in regards to returns, exchanges, warranty items -- no questions asked, no fine print (aka does not cover... xyz). Return at any time for any reason for a new replacement free of charge.
6. Lifetime warranty.
7. If you have a problem they send out a replacement immediately (and not wait for you to send back the return). This keeps customer down time to a min.
8. The ability to send 2 or even 200 of any fixture to you immediately.

If you have a local distributor that can do all that awesome. If not choose a national one than can such as Landscape Lighting World.

Thanks for the opportunity at some shameless self promotion.:waving:

Do you also help pay their legal bills and liability insurance if something goes wrong because they have installed a non-UL listed product?

emby
06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

ELumin8
06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
For me it's access to product knowledge, I don't expect my distributors to know everything but I do expect them to know where to go and then get back to me in a reasonable time.
In the past I've dealt with distributors that either fake knowing it, or just do not get back to me. Sadly they have lost out on my orders for doing so.