PDA

View Full Version : fertilizing

TheLawnCareGuy
06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey everybody, im just getting into starting a lawn care buisness and i am confused about fertilizing lawns. I know there are fertilizers such as lime and winter care but i have no clue as to when to use them and or others. any help about when you need to or should fertilize lawns to keep the nice and green would be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks

Matt

LandscaperPro
06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
These guys on here know more about this than me, but I used to own a lawn installation co and i used a starter fert. of 19/19/19(triple 19), or a 24/13/19. Just to get the the roots started quicker. Lime should only be used after getting a soil test. If ph is to low I think, us use lime to decrease acidity. After that triple 13 is decent for just spring and fall applications. Always spray for weeds before fertilizing in the spring. No need to feed weeds, and then your grass will block light on the bare spots left from the weeds. If I'm not right, these guys will let ya know.

Thanks,
Blake
LandscaperPRo

Ijustwantausername
06-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey everybody, im just getting into starting a lawn care buisness and i am confused about fertilizing lawns. I know there are fertilizers such as lime and winter care but i have no clue as to when to use them and or others. any help about when you need to or should fertilize lawns to keep the nice and green would be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks

Matt

There is a Pesticide and fertilizer section a little lower on the main forums page. Also, do you have a pesticide license? You need one to apply anything to treat "pests" for a fee on someone else's property.

topsites
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Excuse me, have you taken the yard Lesson course 101b "Surprise consumption of dog fecal matter with trimmer string" yet?
It is a required course for all new arrivals wishing to become bona fide lawn boys,
agreed it isn't the most fun but everybody has to take it, no excuses.
Please, proceed right that way.

Raymond S.
06-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Hahahaha...Been there done that, bought the T-shirt, took a picture and sent it home to mom.
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCityLawnCareLLC
06-02-2011, 06:25 PM
@Lawn Care Guy:
As mentioned before, there is a specific forum just for fertilizing. Anyhow, I was in your shoes at on point. I just started reading A LOT. THen I called the state Ag department and got the study material for my license to spread herbicides and in the study materials and teaches you the basics. Thats a good place to start.

vencops
06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
You need a license in your state to spread fert.?

Ijustwantausername
06-15-2011, 11:33 PM
You need a license in your state to spread fert.?

I can't tell if you're joking or not but yes if you spray for a fee/someone else's yard, you have to have a license.

vencops
06-15-2011, 11:37 PM
No, I'm not joking.

You live in the same state I do.

To spray/apply pest./herb. you have to have a license. As far as I know, though....you don't have to have one to spread fert.. Do you know something I don't?

Ijustwantausername
06-15-2011, 11:40 PM
No, I'm not joking.

You live in the same state I do.

To spray/apply pest./herb. you have to have a license. As far as I know, though....you don't have to have one to spread fert.. Do you know something I don't?

Oh okay, yes you do. I got mine about 2 months ago when I saw someone post something about it. I had no idea. You can get fined up to $2,000 if you are caught and it's based solely on the discretion of the official that "catches" you. Anything be it fertilizer, round up etc for a "pest" which can be animal or weed, you have to have one.

http://www.ncagr.gov/SPCAP/pesticides/license.htm

vencops
06-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Maybe there's a disconnect, here. I KNOW you have to have a license to apply pest./herb.. Conceded.

MY question was/is.....are you saying an LCO has to posess a license to spread fert.? If so, can you cite in that link where it says so?

Thanks.

Either way, I'm covered (licensed). But, I wasn't aware someone needed a lic. to simply apply fertilizers.

Ijustwantausername
06-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I see. Try this.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=24710

vencops
06-16-2011, 12:01 AM
From that link....

You do not need a lic. if just applying fertilizer and fertilizer only (atleast here in NJ).

Pretty sure this is the case in NC, too.

Again, are you saying otherwise?

Smallaxe
06-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Don't know what state NS is, but if you have cool season grasses, check out this extensin office website... There are a lot of people who will bash the timing, becuz it cuts into their number of apps, but if you are wanting to grow grass for people and do a good job for them, then this is a good starting place...

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson5.html

Ijustwantausername
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I must have been drunk when I read your post...ha No, you do not need a license to spread JUST fertilizer to help the soils fertility. You do if the fertilizer treats a pest, like an unwanted grass, crabgrass etc.