PDA

View Full Version : Customers that just don't get it

Expert Lawns
10-13-2002, 11:25 PM
I have several Indian and Arabian customers. I have noticed that they do not know much about lawn or lawn care. Maybe they've never had a lawn before, I don't know. I always feel like I'm talking to a 3 year old when explaining things to them. I dont' mind, cuz I know damn well that I'm not Mr. Smarts when it comes to many things. but this year i had a customer blame me for putting tire tracks on her driveway. they have a cement driveway that is almost white. you know, the real light color. anyways, the marks were right in front of her garage from where her and her husband back out of the garage, turn, then head ou of the driveway. (they have a side facing garage). i told he that i was there to mow the lawn, not to do turns in front of her garage. she was determined to prove it was me..

and a few months back, the same customer tried blaming me for the driveway caving in! she said my lawnmower was too heavy, and that her husband was upset. i wonder what kind of car they drive if its lighter than my mower??? i guess i expect some people to have a little common sense. (i ended up dropping them, they were big hassle and i coudlt' take it anymore).

anyone run into problems like this? :confused:

I MOW ALONE
10-13-2002, 11:36 PM
not that bad but you did the right thing to drop them how long did you put up with this

LAWNGODFATHER
10-13-2002, 11:42 PM
I have been blaimed for a swimming pool cracking, a garage floor cracking, hell anything you can think of that it is almost impossable for us to do.

They get dropped just as fast as they thought they could blaim me for it.

Tony Harrell
10-14-2002, 05:57 AM
Lucky for them they're your customers. I would've been thinking about pulling my leatherman out. Just to oil it of course.

Tvov
10-14-2002, 08:41 AM
It is good to read threads like this. It helps to know that I am not alone in dealing with PITA customers!!

I'm doing billing right now, otherwise I could tell some stories!

awm
10-14-2002, 09:02 AM
takes all kinds. sometimes its just a matter of gaining their confidence.
with others,i just let somebody else put up with their kinda trouble.

Brickman
10-14-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Tony Harrell
Lucky for them they're your customers. I would've been thinking about pulling my leatherman out. Just to oil it of course.

Tony you crack me up. You sure like your leatherman. :D So do I.
The leatherman is fix all for MANY problems. :)

LLMSERVICE
10-14-2002, 09:40 AM
I once had a client who wouldn't let my female staff cut his lawn.

He felt it wasn't their place.

I didn't keep him long, but long enough for him to drive me nuts.

SIG
10-14-2002, 09:45 AM
I got blamed for running over a 4x4 post which held this ladies mailbox. There were tire tracks about 4 ft up on the post. I told her I didn't do it. She insisted that I did. She said it happened the week earlier. I said when did you notice it. She said the next day after you mowed when I left for work. (Red Flag) Meanwhile there was a field office for a road construction project, there was a gentleman listeneing to me getting yelled at, he came over (this was a week later) and fessed up to it. It is amazing what people will blame you for with absolutly no info!

Gravely_Man
10-14-2002, 10:59 AM
We can and do get blamed for everything. I just mark it up to being part of the job. If it gets to be too much then I just politely move on and they find someone else to yell at. Life is too short to deal with a ton to crap from people. Some junk is ok and to be expected but when it is excessive and constant time to move on.

Gravely_Man

Expert Lawns
10-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by LLMSERVICE
I once had a client who wouldn't let my female staff cut his lawn.

He felt it wasn't their place.

What an ***. wonder what he does for a living. wake up.....we did pass some womans rights laws bud :mad:

bobbygedd
10-14-2002, 02:57 PM
i personally refuse to deal with "certain types" of customers. those kind of people are not dumb, they just play dumb. they want everything for free, and try to play u for a fool. they are far from dumb, next time u go to a convenience store try to short them 3 cents, they will pick up on it before the money hits the counter. last time a customer tried to blame me for something that i didnt do, i explained to them that i hurt my back and neck while working at their property, and asked for the name of their homeowners ins company. they shut up quick

John Gamba
10-15-2002, 07:40 AM
Exactly What LGF Said. i drop Custumers Before i even interview them. I Have a rep that if you give Me any S--t you Can have the drunken monkey down the street stripe your lawn.
John.

GarPA
10-15-2002, 07:51 AM
hate to sound like Archie Bunker...but from real facts and too many bad experiences from certain "profiled" groups, I choose to not even do an estimate for people who fit the profile....and as Boobysaid, they arent as dumb as they sound...they are just playing you for free info....its happened to me countless times from certain groups of folks......

AVRECON
10-15-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i personally refuse to deal with "certain types" of customers. those kind of people are not dumb, they just play dumb. they want everything for free, and try to play u for a fool. they are far from dumb, next time u go to a convenience store try to short them 3 cents, they will pick up on it before the money hits the counter. last time a customer tried to blame me for something that i didnt do, i explained to them that i hurt my back and neck while working at their property, and asked for the name of their homeowners ins company. they shut up quick

Quote: Kitzy
hate to sound like Archie Bunker...but from real facts and too many bad experiences from certain "profiled" groups, I choose to not even do an estimate for people who fit the profile....and as Boobysaid, they arent as dumb as they sound...they are just playing you for free info....its happened to me countless times from certain groups of folks......

I don't even bother returning their call's. Been there and done that too many damn times.:blob2:

LAWNGODFATHER
10-15-2002, 06:22 PM
I am not venting, but type in my exitement.

Customer, always complains that his unlevel, rutted up, exposed tree rooted, etc....lawn did not get done exactly the way he likes it by one of my crews. This guy wants you to trim the high spots the mower leaves from hitting ruts or holes in his lawn. My mower cuts uneven (NOT)....ALL this creap I out up with for several years, and I charged out ragouslly according for.

He called today to complain while after I have had a terrable day that had nothing to do with lawn care or my business.

I was polite and extremely nice to try and accomadate him, but I will not besubjected to being the only one to be sent to mow his lawn, nor will I spend anymore time with this ignorent shovanistic bbbbastard. All this havoc/static because there is a female mowing his lawn.

KICK BUTTTT I am done with this J*CK *FF.

DAMN I feel even better than when I told him off nicely on the phone.

Anyone want his name and number? $65 for 13m takes 19min avg. to do.

The Mowerdude
10-15-2002, 06:43 PM
Hey LGF, don't hold back.......tell us how you REALLY feel! :D

mike9497
10-17-2002, 01:20 AM
i had 2 customers.one said that four weeks ago i took a chunk out of his new side walk.funny how he waits to tell me when he called on that week and said he didn`t want is lawn done.i also had one of those seven 11 indian dudes not even pay me for my service.so i sent him a letter sayin that i was going to take him to court and 2 days later after waiting 7 weeks he finaly paid me.

Tony Harrell
10-17-2002, 05:45 AM
Hey Brickman, If I win the lottery I'm gonna buy a 500 acre ranch out there in Wy and hire armed guards to patrol on horseback. Don't think I'll put tags on the car, I'll get a helicopter if I need to go to town. Kinda like the Ponderosa but without Hop-Sing. Then I'm gonna put a bounty on the heads of international troublemakers.

Brickman
10-17-2002, 12:17 PM
:D Heck just fly to where ever the trouble maker is with your helicopter and use your leatherman on em.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-17-2002, 08:43 PM
How about being blaimed for chipping a concrete sidewalk?

It has been pointed out that is was chipped from putting rock salt on it duing the winter.

I would love to know how a sidewalk lower than the grass is getting chipped from driving a mower over it.