PDA

View Full Version : Florida Business License

bigbrave
06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey guys, is it hard to get a business license just to mow and blow? I'm guessing you need commercial liability insurance, but do you need something else? Heck, do you even need the liability insurance? Just wondering.

Here in Colorado, no license is needed unless your selling products or your into fertilizer and chemicals. Thanks for your response.

fl-landscapes
06-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I answered that in the other thread, maybe you missed it. You need a business tax certificate $35 to mow, and liability insurance. To apply pesticides in general this is one of the toughest states to get certified. There is whats called the "limited landscape lis" which allows you to spray caution label pesticides within the landscaped areas excluding turf

Johnagain
06-02-2011, 09:33 PM
FL
It depends where you are in the state. I'm in Marion County and the county does not require an occupational license to mow. If I lived in one of the major cities in Marion County then I would neeed the license. The county felt like it wasn't worth their time to get licenses from county residents, they turned all this paper work over to the cities of the county.

Ric
06-03-2011, 08:13 AM
I answered that in the other thread, maybe you missed it. You need a business tax certificate $35 to mow, and liability insurance. To apply pesticides in general this is one of the toughest states to get certified. There is whats called the "limited landscape lis" which allows you to spray caution label pesticides within the landscaped areas excluding turf

FL
It depends where you are in the state. I'm in Marion County and the county does not require an occupational license to mow. If I lived in one of the major cities in Marion County then I would neeed the license. The county felt like it wasn't worth their time to get licenses from county residents, they turned all this paper work over to the cities of the county.

Big Brave

I highlighted the Liability Insurance and which County in the state because that does play a part in Licensing.

First. Many counties collect the $ 35.00 tax stamp occupational license with no requirement or certificate of insurance.

Second. Many counties have no real enforcement of Occupational licenses and therefore many are mowing without any Licensing or regulation of any kind.

I question the reason for your posts in the Florida forum? Are you stirring pot, or actually interested in moving to Florida??? The big advantage in Florida right now is we don't Plow Snow. But the Disadvantages are growing each and every day.

After Hurricane Charlie I let many of the Credentials that I worked hard for go. The reason was simple. There was no Legal or economic advantage in have them. I was one of 8 who had a Commercial Landscape install license in my county. But everyone was installing commercial landscape with out the License. The county code enforcement had no desire to enforce the Ordnance so why pay the License fee. Irrigation was just a tad different. New construction installs required a permit. But with only 10 licensed Irrigation Companies in the county 3 elected to go into a price war. $ 1100 city water hook up became common place and I couldn't buy the material to do a good install for $ 1100. Brass Back Flow Preventers were $ 200 alone. One Irrigation contractor got caught pulling the Back Flow Preventers and moving them from job to job.

I am not saying people aren't making a living in Florida's Green industry. What I am saying is it takes a while to get started and Competition is HUGE. An other quick Story was the Guy who went into the Pest Control business by hiring a CPO. He took the Test several times and couldn't pass it. so he studied every loop hole in the law and ran a Pest Control business for several years using those loop holes without a permanent CPO. After several of us complained the New State Ag inspector gave him enough problems he sold out and went to work for the company that bought his accounts.

bigbrave
06-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I figured someone would ask me why I started such a thread. I'm just curious about how you guys are doing down there. I was hoping you were kicking ass and making money, but questioned the economy. My gf is from the Palm Bay/Cocoa area and has told me how bad the economy is in FL. I've actually thought about moving there, but probably would buy a different business and get out of the mowing & blowing bus. I do like the idea of not having to plow snow though. I hate it and don't do it, although you can make good money at it.

I went to Phoenix for spring training and there economy is really bad too. I know it's bad all over the country, but some states are worse than others. CO isn't that bad anymore and seems to be getting much better. Ok, it's not the greatest, and could be better, but it's really not bad.

The competition really isn't bad here and I'm currently mowing 212 homes. Of course, I've worked hard building my name and almost all of my customers are from referrals. I don't have any commerical properties, but I may try harder to get into them later. I don't need a license of any kind, but I carry 1million in commerical liability. I also use a combination of walk behind mowers and a couple Stander RHs from Wright.

Again, I wasn't trying to stir the pot, I was just curious about how things are going with you guys down there.

Ric
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Big

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. The trouble is Florida grass gets real green in summer rainy season when we have 90/90. That is 90% humdity and 90 degrees temperture. If you can hang, August is the best time to start a blow & go. The reason is every one who can't hang in the heat is quiting. Come Oct to Dec used mowers are cheap because by the cut mowing Bahia is over for the year and all the newbie are selling off equipment to eat. Even then there are more mowing guys than lawns. Stand on any major street corner and count mower guys as they drive by. When you reach 25, go home. You won't be on the corner more than a few minutes.

Patriot Services
06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I can promise you won't get 212 accounts for several years here. Florida rates also are below average compared to others areas. Pros are smaller yards, year round work if your smart and versatile. But as others mentioned the weather is no joke. Heat indexes 120+ before 10am are the norm.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigbrave
06-04-2011, 12:13 PM
That 90/90 stuff is brutal and I have no desire to work in it. Don't know how you guys handle it?!

Like I said, if I move down there, I'll purchase a different kind of business and not bother getting into the mow and blow stuff. To be honest, I don't think I'm strong enough to handle working in your summers, but I think it would be a lot of fun living in FL. Lot of fun things to do and having the beach is nice. Of course, I would love spring training in March every year.

Anyway, sounds like it would be very difficult to start a new lawn care business down there so I would never try. However, I'm growing tired of living in CO and want to move away. So I'll probably sell my business and FL was one of a few states I thought would be a fun place to land. Any objections???

Patriot Services
06-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Nope. At least your moving here for the right reasons. Too many guys come here trying to be the next great mowing sensation. Any ideas for your next business venture? Remember FL is a big state. What may work in Miami would be a disaster in Orlando or Tampa. Panhandle is completely different yet again.
Posted via Mobile Device