PDA

View Full Version : Rototiller areator??? Winter project

Jimbo
10-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Anyone ever heard of turning a rototiller into a lawn aerator? I got the idea because used tillers are very cheap, and it seems that all one would have to due is remove the tines and mount a heavy drum with aeration spikes (cores).

Has anyone tried it? Any problems? Any ideas?

Jim

TurfGuyTX
10-14-2002, 12:13 AM
That's an interesting thought. If I can figure out how to make it work, I'll pass it on to you. Jimbo, my prayers are with you and the rest of Maryland and Virginia regarding the sniper.

Jimbo
10-14-2002, 12:15 AM
Thanks Bryan.

About the tiller, I think I can make it work no problem.

I was just wondering if anyone else already tried.

P.S. I got the Mag stuff so you can e-mail me anytime with questions.

Jim

Tony Harrell
10-14-2002, 05:36 AM
My tiller, Troybuilt, the wheels turn twice as fast as the tines so it would dig like a tiller. I've thoght about it though. It would be a versatile machine no doubt.

Runner
10-14-2002, 12:58 PM
That is the kind of tiller that I have thought about many times of doing something like this. With 6the Troy-bilt, you would just run the transmission in neutral, and have the tiller engaged.

65hoss
10-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Think about how slow it would be. Not to mention the narrow width.

Tony Harrell
10-15-2002, 05:32 AM
I never thought about disengaging the drive wheels! It may just work! It still spins fast though. Maybe you could build a velke for it? I know it sounds crazy but, that's how new inventions come about sometimes. Let's keep the comments, ideas coming. For instance, incorporating the throttle with the drive bail like on Ryan or Lesco/Classen models would be a good idea.

Gravely_Man
10-15-2002, 02:00 PM
Sounds like it might work but would be a little slow. This could be the next big lawn breakthrough! Keep us posted on what you find out and try.

Gravely_Man

Loosestrife
10-18-2002, 09:11 PM
How many hours do you think that the engineers spent designing, building proto-types, re-configuring... the Ryan, Blue Bird, Classen, ect. aerators?

It is ALOT more time than you think. They didn't just play junkyard wars and come up with something..