PDA

View Full Version : need help with shindaiwa T230

peahlybros.
06-02-2011, 11:30 PM
So I bought a T230 trimmer used, really cheap. Thought it would make a good backup machine, but have found that its so light I rather use it and save the wear and tear on my FS90R, which btw weighs like 100 pounds.

Anyway, I havnt used the shindy much but I can not figure out how to put the line in.:hammerhead: It is a bump head. What is happening is that it constantly is feeding out line (doesn't have a shield). The head has arrows pointing in both directions for winding line and no divider to separate the left line from the right.

Can anyone help? Is the head just no good?

GlynnC
06-03-2011, 11:22 PM
So I bought a T230 trimmer used, really cheap. Thought it would make a good backup machine, but have found that its so light I rather use it and save the wear and tear on my FS90R, which btw weighs like 100 pounds.

Anyway, I havnt used the shindy much but I can not figure out how to put the line in.:hammerhead: It is a bump head. What is happening is that it constantly is feeding out line (doesn't have a shield). The head has arrows pointing in both directions for winding line and no divider to separate the left line from the right.

Can anyone help? Is the head just no good?

I'm thinking you are winding the line backwards. I have a T230 in the garage but it has been changed over to a speedhead. Both lines wind the same direction.

peahlybros.
06-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Which way are you supposed to wind it? since there are arrows pointing in both directions. Do you like the speedfeed head?... I think I might just have to get a new head

anyone else use this trimmer?

GlynnC
06-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Which way are you supposed to wind it? since there are arrows pointing in both directions. Do you like the speedfeed head?... I think I might just have to get a new head

anyone else use this trimmer?

If you have the spool in your hand, the bump knob down, looking at the back of the spool, the string is wound clockwise. Hold the 2 strings in one hand, a finger in between them, and wind--keeping tension on the strings so it is wound snug--not loose.

Many, many people on this forum love the Speedfeed head--I'm not one of them. With the speedfeed head, you don't have to worry wich way the line is wound, slide the line thru the holes, equal the amount on each side, and start winding.

The Shindaiwa T230 is an awesome trimmer, as is the T260 and T270. Wish I had one. The one in the garage, as referred to in my 1st post, belongs to my brother.

peahlybros.
06-06-2011, 11:43 PM
thank you.... i will check to see which way I have it wound. I love the trimmer... its so light and pretty powerful... I just wish the head would stop feeding line haha

if you dont mind, what don't you like about the speedfeed?

Anybody have any opinions on their preference on shindy heads?

PLS-Tx
06-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Speed Feed is all we use, they are great.

Btw, I still have 4 T-230's. I have hedge clippers on two of them and pole saws on the other two.

GlynnC
06-07-2011, 11:02 PM
thank you.... i will check to see which way I have it wound. I love the trimmer... its so light and pretty powerful... I just wish the head would stop feeding line haha

if you dont mind, what don't you like about the speedfeed?

Anybody have any opinions on their preference on shindy heads?

Do a search on the speedfeed heads, you'll find lot's of info and opinions.

I personally like a bump knob that holds the head up a little higher--you're not suppose to let the head drag on the ground/grass, but I do.

If you decide to get a speedfeed head for the T230, I recommend the smaller head. My brother has the bigger head on his and it just seems too big for this size trimmer.