PDA

View Full Version : I found a way to never scrap a deck again

soloscaperman
06-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I let the blades on near a running hose and in about 3 mins the deck power washes it's self clean enough that I can see the old red paint under the deck! The deck comes out super clean every time and I will never scrap a deck again! Also mowing puddles of water cleans the deck way better then scraping. Deck is baby smooth and now I notice the grass has a harder chance of sticking afterwords.

MJB
06-03-2011, 12:16 AM
I let the blades on near a running hose and in about 3 mins the deck power washes it's self clean enough that I can see the old red paint under the deck! The deck comes out super clean every time and I will never scrap a deck again! Also mowing puddles of water cleans the deck way better then scraping. Deck is baby smooth and now I notice the grass has a harder chance of sticking afterwords.

I just park over a flat sprinkler and run the blades for a few minutes.

topsites
06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
LOL I'd be kind of careful creating loads of suction with sharp revolving steel knives around rubber hoses,
also there exists the concern of fresh water usage considering we are running out of drinking water,
but I like the puddle idea and I am glad to hear this simple trick works so well.

Runner
06-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Yeah...THATS the way to scrap the ol' spindle bearings out!

lyndont
06-03-2011, 12:27 AM
My toro recycler has a hook up for a hose but I still have to scrape it. It doesn't do as well on those I guess
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Yeah...THATS the way to scrap the ol' spindle bearings out!

Ya but I didn't know better and got away with it for 20 yrs. Why do some mowers come with the hose hook up for cleaning if it's that bad for spindles?

Are the spindles not sealed as good as the older ones? I don't seem to ever have spindle issues and I used to mow a lake to clean my deck. What I didn't know didn't hurt me.:laugh:

flatlander42
06-03-2011, 01:54 AM
also there exists the concern of fresh water usage considering we are running out of drinking water,

Where does the water go after being squirted on the mower deck....just gone? If you can't mix water with the grass on the mower deck, we better not water lawns, or let rain touch grass either.

I have been looking for a small flat sprinkler to do just this. As far as spindle damage goes.....what if you don't have any spindles? :D

And could it really be any harder on things than mowing wet grass anyways?

grassman177
06-03-2011, 07:55 AM
it does work awesome, used to do it alot . never find puddles to do it anymore though. i take care of much nicer places now.

ALC-GregH
06-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Nope. Same thing in all reality. The spindles are sealed. Unless you're using a pressure washer and pointing right at the spindle seals, it's no different then mowing in the rain.

Darryl G
06-03-2011, 08:12 AM
I would be concerned about spindle bearings too.

soloscaperman
06-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Well we all mow wet grass from early dew and light rain so I will will let you know how my spindles wear.

Roger
06-03-2011, 08:24 PM

Yes, lots harder. The density of water is much higher than that of grass, even wet grass. It takes lots more power to push water out from under the deck than wet grass. The difference is huge. Don't underestimate the forces required to move water at high speeds. This is basic physics, and is not unique to mower decks.

topsites
06-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Where does the water go after being squirted on the mower deck....just gone? If you can't mix water with the grass on the mower deck, we better not water lawns, or let rain touch grass either.

I have been looking for a small flat sprinkler to do just this. As far as spindle damage goes.....what if you don't have any spindles? :D

I was referring to running water, not rain, and all I can tell you is the world is
running shorter, and shorter on fresh water with every passing day.

Lakes are disappearing, reservoirs reaching new lows, glaciers gone, the list goes on.

Here the East Coast is just now settling in for yet another drought, I've lost count
it's been that many years in a row.

Folks don't understand.
They will not understand the implications until one day they turn the faucet on...
And nothing comes out.

That's when they'll finally realize that what we've been saying all along might have been true.

Mickhippy
06-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I dont think you'd need the water coming out of the hose at full squirt. Just enough to get it up onto the blade. The blades wash the deck, not the pressure out of the hose. A couple of minutes with basically a dribble isnt much to waste. Especially when you have home owners watering there lawns and gardens 4 times a week, let along industrial and commercial wastage. Bugger all wasted in the scheme of things!

As far as bearings go, I would let the spindles cool before putting water anywhere near them. The blades will push water away from the spindles anyway.

44DCNF
06-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Drop your deck as low as possible and bounce the water stream from a sweeper nozzle off the pavement near the left rear wheels (or opposite the discharge side) so it angles up under the deck. Once clean, let mower run with blades on to dry for a minute or two.

I'm surprised you are just learning this method, solo-man. Been doing it since the days of the wind up toros which had a washdown port in the deck.

weeze
06-03-2011, 11:35 PM
i don't own a sprinkler :o