PDA

View Full Version : have you ever had this problem?

lyndont
06-03-2011, 12:24 AM
I was on the way home today and the right leaf springs on my trailer broke and the right fender tore up my tire pretty good but I made it home. I went to atwoods to get replacements but they said for 1500 pounds. Where can I find some more heavy duty springs or should they be alright. I am considering replacing both so I don't have to do it again later. Then I dug up my sprinkler heads on my aerobic septic to clean the filters and stripped the threads on one because I was in a hurry so today was pretty frustrating. They are old rainbird sprinklers that I want to replace anyways. Do all heads work on those systems? I know nothing about that stuff. I should post that in the irrigation forum but thought someone would know.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Where did you buy the trailer?

Reason I ask is I have never had anything fail on mine but I bought mine for commercial duty and I have had leaf spring shackles
break on my truck but I've loaded 5 thousand pounds on my 3 thousand pound rated trailer and nothing has ever broken in 10 years.

So it just puzzles me that a leaf spring would break, unless it's really old,
you way overloaded, or it ain't made for this type of work.

The thing is, how do we know if it will hold up, once replaced?
If the trailer isn't made for this type of duty, it would be best to replace the whole trailer as fixing it with a heavier duty spring
will only transfer the stress to the next part in line, in terms of failure it won't prevent it, if the trailer is underrated it needs to
be replaced with one of the proper weight and duty determination.

That's the first step, is finding out if this trailer is the right tool for the job, once we've determined that, we can proceed.

lyndont
06-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Route 66 trailers outside of Tulsa but it was used and they have probably never been replaced. I tried to call today but no one answered. I just need to get it fixed by sat. Or I am going to have some angry customers.
Posted via Mobile Device

lyndont
06-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Route 66 trailers outside of Tulsa but it was used and they have probably never been replaced. I tried to call today but no one answered. I just need to get it fixed by sat. Or I am going to have some angry customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

lyndont
06-03-2011, 12:49 AM
It should be heavy duty enough. It is a 12ft single axle trailer with a cage in the front and 3 trimmer rack on the side. I replaced the floor, sanded it down and repainted it. I would hate to get rid of it but I may need to get a tandem axle soon. Its old but it looks good. How can you tell what the axle can handle. It says 2500pnds on the tongue though.
Posted via Mobile Device

lyndont
06-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I usually have a 50in gravely walk behind and a cub cadet 50in zero turn but they shouldn't weigh more than 2500pnds I wouldn't think. But I have loaded it down with firewood pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-03-2011, 07:22 AM
All right, I think you're probably all right with a replacement, you'll need to measure your present springs' width
as that is one of the size determining factors, they're made 2" and 2.5" and 3" wide are some of the most common,
it is very simple the width you can just measure any of the actual flat steel planks straight across.
Also are the shackles front and back all right?

Shackles being the pieces that attach the spring to the frame of the vehicle, in this case the trailer.
If the shackles are fine you might check with Northern, I believe they sell complete leaf springs, unfortunately
I think you might be out a couple hundred or more, I can't remember but something tells me they're not cheap.

And I could be wrong, maybe they're only 50-100 but you'll also want to check into the duty rating although honestly
I think once you've determined the width you should be all right, still I would make sure this isn't a job you have to repeat
anytime in the near future now.

On the irrigation, any BRAND head should work but it has to be the correct type.

topsites
06-03-2011, 07:34 AM
One other thing, are you sure it's the spring itself?
It may just be you broke a shackle, these I'm not sure about, I had to mail order the one my truck was in need of.

But it's important, before you head out looking for parts, find out what it is you need.