PDA

View Full Version : Exmark leaving strips

Rangr25
06-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I just purchased my first exmark this season (X series 60in deck with a 29hp kaw engine 6 series deck). At first everything seemed to be cutting great but now that the grass is really growing im leaving two strips of uncut grass on either side of the center blade. In shady conditions where the grass is a little thinner this problem seems to be a lot worse and it doesnt seem to make a difference whether im creeping or going at normal mowing speed. Has anyone else had this issue and or have any suggestions on how to get that nice clean cut? (I sharpen the blades every night as well as scrape the deck)

jwsland
06-04-2011, 12:37 AM
I have had the same issue. Still working it out.

Try using solid foil high lift blades. Have you hit anything while mowing lately?

MJB
06-04-2011, 01:29 AM
I just purchased my first exmark this season (X series 60in deck with a 29hp kaw engine 6 series deck). At first everything seemed to be cutting great but now that the grass is really growing im leaving two strips of uncut grass on either side of the center blade. In shady conditions where the grass is a little thinner this problem seems to be a lot worse and it doesnt seem to make a difference whether im creeping or going at normal mowing speed. Has anyone else had this issue and or have any suggestions on how to get that nice clean cut? (I sharpen the blades every night as well as scrape the deck)

Measure your blades to make sure they got the right ones. Look it up I'm guessing a 60" Ultracut deck will have 20 1/2 inch blades from corner to corner. Also just for fun check your deck pitch to see what it came from the factory at. Belts tight??

MOHUSTLER
06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
This is uncommon to have an issue like this with exmark, and to have 2 people have the same issue. Have you contacted your dealer to see if they have any input on the situation?

( hope this isnt another trition deck situation ) :hammerhead:

topsites
06-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Here we go again :p

Did you remember to take the deck out of its transport position?

Rangr25
06-04-2011, 01:36 PM
The blades that they are putting on these things from the factory now are a high lift blade without the notch in them. I contacted the dealer this morning and the mechanic said he has been getting this same feedback from other customers so he is going to contact exmark Monday morning and see if a deck update is available.. Deck is set in between 3-3.5". I have checked the deck pitch cause when I received the mower after the wonderful dealer prep job it had 29psi in the rear tires so I wanted to double check and make sure it wasn't all f-ed up. It came out to being right in the 1/4" ball park. In the mean time I bought a new set of blades so we'll see what the dealer has to say Monday.

MJB
06-04-2011, 01:45 PM
The blades that they are putting on these things from the factory now are a high lift blade without the notch in them. I contacted the dealer this morning and the mechanic said he has been getting this same feedback from other customers so he is going to contact exmark Monday morning and see if a deck update is available.. Deck is set in between 3-3.5". I have checked the deck pitch cause when I received the mower after the wonderful dealer prep job it had 29psi in the rear tires so I wanted to double check and make sure it wasn't all f-ed up. It came out to being right in the 1/4" ball park. In the mean time I bought a new set of blades so we'll see what the dealer has to say Monday.

Oh I hate the deck updates. Exmark did it with the Triton, now the 6 series deck. I hope you fix it with just blades. Hustler had so many updates and add ons the 2006 XR7 deck, that I needed a rocket scientist to figure out this baffle up , this baffle down, which blades, front lip on or off. I guess you can tell I hate add ons. Do it right before it leaves the factory.

Rangr25
06-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah exactly I agree 100% for the price of these machines you would think they would be tested and approved in all mowing conditions and on all types of turf. Maybe before they go into full production the manufactures should make a handful for each region and let the companies test them how they will actually be used in the industry instead of in house testing before it goes into production. I also went through all the stupid updates on the hustler but in the end i was happy about it cause the mower did improve, I just wish that stuff would be worked out before it hits the floor. All it does is cut into our already small profit margin by dealing with the crap that in my opinion should already be figured out.

ProStreetCamaro
06-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Try some high lift solid foil blades. That is what comes on gravely mowers and the blades for my 60" are the correct size for your 60" exmark. I am honestly in shock that they changed the ultracut in any way shape or form. Previous ultracut decks were unmatched in cut quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-HI-LIFT-BLADES-ARIENS-GRAVELY-09081200-08979600-60-/260747588736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb5c47480

Rangr25
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM
With the new deck it says the center hole on the exmark blade is .94 which comes out to being like 5/16 so im having trouble finding blades similar to that. The gravely looked like it said it was 5/8.

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 11:28 PM
My new lazer does the same thing from time to time. i always double cut so i dont really pay much mind to it.

I MOW ALONE
06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
my new lazer with the series 6 deck does'nt miss anything. series 6 deck is the same as ultracut 4 with triton spindles.