PDA

View Full Version : Here's our kcmo city lowballer's beautiful work

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-03-2011, 12:28 PM
This is the entryway to a very nice bike/walking trail here in KC. Supposed to be mowed every other week...mechanical edging, trimming, trash, mowed to 3.5", and blown clean. Looks like a lapse in "scope of service" to me. That grass is at least 2.5 ft. tall...and growing as of today June 2, 2011. Wasn't the first mow of the year April 11? Yeah, it was...

GravyTrain
06-03-2011, 01:11 PM
looks like quality work to me ;)

what's the old saying "You get what you pay for?"

jason72g
06-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Wow! That's pretty good looking. One day I hope to be able to mow with that quality of worksmanship!

Cam.at.Heritage
06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
That's what almost all of our city boulevards and parks looked liked until early this week, I cut our shop lot 5 times before the city came 1. It was getting ridiculous.

Here a pic after they had made one pass
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_YzVX5US1xk/Tek2cAX3RuI/AAAAAAAAAtI/an-HOihDshE/s640/IMG00230-20110524-1209.jpg

jnrogers
06-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Wow, wished I could edge the sidewalks as good as them. :laugh:

topsites
06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Hmmmm, very interesting.

MowHouston
06-03-2011, 10:00 PM
With all of the time and energy you spend whining and bit*hing about other people's work and lowballers, you could have volunteered somewhere and made a difference in someone's life.

grassman177
06-03-2011, 10:30 PM
although i share your feelings about lowballers and lawnidiots, you really go out of your way dont you.

siclmn
06-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I enjoy the pictures and I am as pissed as he is that people are getting paid to do such shoddy work. I hope he is forwarding the pictures and information to someone in that city that gives a %$#@.

wvaughn7
06-03-2011, 10:45 PM
...someone in that city that gives a %$#@.

I think that is the problem right there. No one that is in a position to do any good cares. They are saving thousands over the course of the year and in their position that's all that matters. No it doesn't look that good, but it will eventually get hacked down to a manageable height.

TMlawncare
06-03-2011, 11:13 PM
With all of the time and energy you spend whining and bit*hing about other people's work and lowballers, you could have volunteered somewhere and made a difference in someone's life.

This thread has to do with job bids and money. The stuff that pays ourselves and our employees. Volunteering does not pay the bills.

MowHouston
06-04-2011, 05:48 PM
This thread has to do with job bids and money. The stuff that pays ourselves and our employees. Volunteering does not pay the bills.

The city isn't looking to pay you for your quality cut. All these threads are is the same old spy pics, moaning and groaning about lowballers. Move on already or at least keep it in one thread.

Nothing you do is going to change it. They always weed themselves out anyhow.

jsf343
06-04-2011, 10:39 PM
The city isn't looking to pay you for your quality cut. All these threads are is the same old spy pics, moaning and groaning about lowballers. Move on already or at least keep it in one thread.

Nothing you do is going to change it. They always weed themselves out anyhow.

if you are going to cry go cry to your mommy.

If you don't like reading about it then don't read it, its still a free country (barely) and people can write about what they want to. If I were the op I would be ticked too.

vencops
06-04-2011, 10:45 PM
I hope he is forwarding the pictures and information to someone in that city that gives a %$#@.

Can't say whether or not the city gives a %$#@ or not....but....I'd bet the 1st part is a given.

TTM42
06-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Dont you have anything better to do than whine?

MowHouston
06-05-2011, 08:21 AM
if you are going to cry go cry to your mommy.

If you don't like reading about it then don't read it, its still a free country (barely) and people can write about what they want to. If I were the op I would be ticked too.

It sure is a free country but it doesn't mean you have to whine all day because the city didn't choose your op.

I never said he cant do it. I just pointed out that it is the same ol crap day in and day out from this guy. There's never a change.

Aw mah gawd! Look at dis dere grass cut I told yoo dem guys caint cut grass dem dam lowballers.

Christ.

But I guess if you have the time because you cant get the jobs then thats what freedom is all about.

MowHouston
06-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Can't say whether or not the city gives a %$#@ or not....but....I'd bet the 1st part is a given.

I bet the city knows. But I doubt they care. Like its been pointed out before. Bad economy, saving money, yada yada yada.

jsf343
06-07-2011, 09:56 PM
It sure is a free country but it doesn't mean you have to whine all day because the city didn't choose your op.

I never said he cant do it. I just pointed out that it is the same ol crap day in and day out from this guy. There's never a change.

Aw mah gawd! Look at dis dere grass cut I told yoo dem guys caint cut grass dem dam lowballers.

Christ.

But I guess if you have the time because you cant get the jobs then thats what freedom is all about.

From this guy? who do you mean the op of the thread? I don't know if he is a whiner or not, but sometimes after a long day (sometimes bad day) a person feels like cutting loose with some of the built up frustration, I am sure you do the same, if he comes home and makes a thread about it than big whoopee.

Don't get me wrong if someone is writing threads all the time about that stuff, it does get old, no debate or argument from me on that. If he is just frustrated with some idiot that doesn't know his costs and then goes out and lowballs and screws up the work he tried to get... I can understand.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-08-2011, 01:34 AM
I enjoy the pictures and I am as pissed as he is that people are getting paid to do such shoddy work. I hope he is forwarding the pictures and information to someone in that city that gives a %$#@.

And after talking with inspectors, he had a ***** session with them. We have a system here in KCMO where you call in and place specific complaints directly to department heads and mayor's office. Since I am a former big time contractor, my concerns get prompt attention. I know when inspectors and lowballers aren't doing their job. The park pictured is the entryway to 85th & Oak, Trolley Run/S. Oak Park. A disaster as pictured. Inspector said he would have it mowed...I'll check today if that is a reality.

Nex

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-08-2011, 01:37 AM
From this guy? who do you mean the op of the thread? I don't know if he is a whiner or not, but sometimes after a long day (sometimes bad day) a person feels like cutting loose with some of the built up frustration, I am sure you do the same, if he comes home and makes a thread about it than big whoopee.

Don't get me wrong if someone is writing threads all the time about that stuff, it does get old, no debate or argument from me on that. If he is just frustrated with some idiot that doesn't know his costs and then goes out and lowballs and screws up the work he tried to get... I can understand.

I don't mind a bit if a guy can go out, underbid me, do at least as good as I can or better for tht price. But if a guy lowballs and does way, way worse...or doesn't mow at all...I'll let 'em know about it. Nobody is getting free checks from the taxpayers while I'm around. I'll go up the ladder with Mayor Sly James if I have to...I don't care who gets their ears rung up. If you think I'm feisty online, trust me...much more bombastic in person.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-08-2011, 01:39 AM

Christ.

I work as much as I want and even had to put a CL ad saying thanks but don't call me...can't take any more work. Sorry to burst your bubble, champ. Some of us don't have to run 7 days a week to put bread on the table...life's lottery they call it...

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-08-2011, 01:41 AM
although i share your feelings about lowballers and lawnidiots, you really go out of your way dont you.

I have accounts all over the city...all city parks are within a few blocks of something I mow...

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-08-2011, 01:43 AM
dont you have anything better to do than whine?

one of my hobbies...

ALC-GregH
06-08-2011, 08:41 AM
one of my hobbies...

apparently.

siclmn
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Good for you RPM. The world is so full of people who sit back and watch things roll over them. In my life the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I am the person who always tells it like it is and suffers the consequences, weather they be good or bad. It sounds like that is the way you roll too.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Good for you RPM. The world is so full of people who sit back and watch things roll over them. In my life the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I am the person who always tells it like it is and suffers the consequences, weather they be good or bad. It sounds like that is the way you roll too.

I can't tell you the last time in this world I've been gentlemanly about something major and it got corrected. Don't remember that. When I get up and in your face with facts, provable facts...that's when change happens. People will not do the right thing unless you kick them in the balls. That's what this life has taught me well. If you don't respond with a kick to the left one, I'll kick the right. When both are swollen, maybe you'll listen. Sounds like you like that approach too?

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
06-08-2011, 01:27 PM
you really go out of your way dont you.

Above and beyond Sir. .........Above and beyond.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
06-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I have accounts all over the city...all city parks are within a few blocks of something I mow...

You also keep a camera with you at all times while you happen to ''RUN'' across these things don't you....

This is the guy that everyone see's on the side of the road taking pictures of slightly tilted telephone poles, Powerlines that seem to be to close to the birdsnest in the underlying tree and Cracked sidewalks. All while thinking to yourself as you drive by....

What in the &*@# is this guy doing?

This is him.

kennc38
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
This is the entryway to a very nice bike/walking trail here in KC. Supposed to be mowed every other week...mechanical edging, trimming, trash, mowed to 3.5", and blown clean. Looks like a lapse in "scope of service" to me. That grass is at least 2.5 ft. tall...and growing as of today June 2, 2011. Wasn't the first mow of the year April 11? Yeah, it was...

Looks like they're using that "phantom cut" technique I've been hearing about. I hear it's all the rage in KC.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Lmao. Nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get Some...
06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Lmao. Nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

X2. :laugh:

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Looks like they're using that "phantom cut" technique I've been hearing about. I hear it's all the rage in KC.

In fact, upfront and should'nt receive a Phantom Cut. PCs are for slow pays only as mentioned in my handbook of customer etiquette.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
06-10-2011, 09:50 PM
How do you not know that is what is going on? Or do you have a insider giving you info from the citys account payable dept?
Posted via Mobile Device

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
06-10-2011, 09:51 PM
And by the way, are you still paying that landscaping company to cut your grass or are you handling it yourself now?
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-10-2011, 10:06 PM
In fact, upfront and should'nt receive a Phantom Cut. PCs are for slow pays only as mentioned in my handbook of customer etiquette.

You telling me you hand out a handbook to each of your customers?

One other thing...
Those handbooks won't do you a bit of good in a court of law. :waving:
Bigger men than you have fallen before, thinking that if they printed the rules
and made every customer read them, that meant everyone had to follow.
They were wrong.

They can sue you over fake cuts, it's illegal to bill for work that wasn't done, handbook or not.
It is also illegal to treat slow payers different from anyone else.

Ultimately it isn't about you or me.
It's about what the law and the judges have to say.

c3wlandscaping
06-11-2011, 12:08 AM
the way i see it is that people who do a terrible job actually help us. i am very new to "professional" lawn care. this is my first year along with a few others i see riding around with their craftsman riders in the backs of their pickups. back to my point. if a guy comes in and says he can do a lawn for $20 and just butchers the hell out of it and it looks worse than if they would have grown a hay field in their front yard, park, cemetery, or what ever and your "professional" cut is $10 more. the person who actually cares will hire you for $20 a cut more. let the lowballers in. i give a list to all the people i give bids to of people who might be cheaper than i am. i also give them a copy of my insurance and my license. so far i have not lost one. we are "professionals" we need to act and perform like it. just my $.02

TTM42
06-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Dont we all know that idiot is just a blowhard who has enough time on his hands to drive around taking pictures of people actually working when he should be taking care of his own business and not worrying so much about others?

STIHL GUY
06-11-2011, 11:37 AM
ya get what you pay for

Mowingman
06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
I mowed under contract for our city for 10 years. Everything from street medians and parks, to the city landfill. Always made good money, but had to bid very carefully. The guy who bought my business in 07, is still mowing for the City. Most all cities are under very tight budget constraints right now. An easy place to cut back is in the area of mowing. My city contracts allowed the city to adjust the frequency of mowing as they saw fit. This makes it hard to bid, but they were very good about allowing me to make up lost mowings later when the budget was in better shape. So, I would not blame the contractor for all the tall weeds and grass, and the unkept look of city properties. They are probably doing exactly what they are told to do. It is a lot easier for a Parks Dept to cut a few mowings from the annual cycle, than to close a public swimming pool for the summer. Lots less flack from the public.

Will P.C.
06-11-2011, 12:50 PM
the way i see it is that people who do a terrible job actually help us. i am very new to "professional" lawn care. this is my first year along with a few others i see riding around with their craftsman riders in the backs of their pickups. back to my point. if a guy comes in and says he can do a lawn for $20 and just butchers the hell out of it and it looks worse than if they would have grown a hay field in their front yard, park, cemetery, or what ever and your "professional" cut is $10 more. the person who actually cares will hire you for $20 a cut more. let the lowballers in. i give a list to all the people i give bids to of people who might be cheaper than i am. i also give them a copy of my insurance and my license. so far i have not lost one. we are "professionals" we need to act and perform like it. just my $.02

I am not sure why everyone equates Craftsman and the like mowers with crappy cut and butchering. I have seen some excellent cuts from these mowers.

Penncare
06-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I agree with c3. I can only work my business plan and if others want to cut a lawn for $5 that is fine with me. I think c3 is so right that the people who cut for less typically make us look better, not worse.