PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Aeration - Central North Carolina

NewLawnGirl
10-14-2002, 11:53 AM
My lawn is in need of much repair, beginning with aeration. We have numerous kinds of grass - Bermuda, fescues, and yes, even crabgrass!!!!

Is it too late in the season to aerate in Central North Carolina (Triangle Area)? I've read that you should do this early enough that the lawn will still have six weeks to grow. I haven't lived here long enough to know how long the growing season will generally last.

Thanks for the help.

Piedmont Lawn
10-14-2002, 07:45 PM
Hi NewLawnGirl,

It's not too late to aerate but you are pushing the window if you are going to overseed. New grass needs to mature for several weeks before the first frost.

Kelly

Grasshog
10-15-2002, 08:44 PM
What do you plan on seeding with. Fescue, Bermuda or Crabgrass. If you plan on seeding with Bermuda. Its to late.
Wait for Mid April. Crabgrass ( I dont recommend this grass)
Wait till Mid March. Fescue. Its not to late. I would do it pretty quick. Keep the ground moist. Seed heavy. The germination rate might be a little poor. Better now than in the Spring.

Green Pastures
10-15-2002, 09:23 PM
I dont think it's to late to seed fescue in N.C., I'm still seeding here in Virginia.

Scott

NewLawnGirl
10-16-2002, 11:05 AM
We were planning on using a fescue or a "sun/shade" mix (fescue, bluegrass, ryegrass). A friend of ours used one of those mixed bags with paper (mulching) and fertilizer already in it and had great results....we thought we'd try it in a rather large dead area (dead because we killed the crabgrass!) after we till it up. Then the rest of the lawn would be fescue.

Which brings me to another question. We have a large area in the front yard that is bermuda...can we overseed with fescue or would that be bad/weird? It's strange enough that we have areas of our lawn that are clearly different kinds of grass, we don't want to make it worse.

Thanks so much for your help.

Grasshog
10-24-2002, 08:29 PM
I would over seed the bermuda with fescue. At least you will have some color this winter.