PDA

View Full Version : Small landscaping truck w/ dovetail, 1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

salviiip
06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
see my craigslist ad for details http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2354795972.html

flatlander42
06-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Now that is way cool!

THEGOLDPRO
06-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Dang thats actually pretty dope looking.

Pressedun
06-03-2011, 11:00 PM
The perfect city mowing truck, you can maneuver that thing anywhere!

jsslawncare
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I wish I had $3000 extra, I'd go and get it tomorrow.

White Gardens
06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Makes me want to do that to my S-10.

QLM
06-04-2011, 01:02 AM
great job man!

THEGOLDPRO
06-04-2011, 09:22 PM
lol i showed my brother this link and he has been talking about this truck all day.

flyingdutch16
06-04-2011, 09:32 PM
dam i wish i lived closer. Id pick it up within the hour!

Jimslawncareservice
06-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Where did you get a bed like that
Posted via Mobile Device

Shasta Lake Landscaping
06-04-2011, 11:55 PM
I wish I was closer, that thing would be mine. In the ad it states you built it, how long did it take you?

Bfish
06-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Wish I would this would have been for sale 2 months ago.

salviiip
06-06-2011, 12:39 AM
thanks for all the comments guys. I built the bed myself. It took a few months but overall it was probably 160 hours of my labor. The design took a lot of head-scratching because I had to improvise how I built it using a lot of scrap materials. I have accumulated quite a bit of angle iron that I tried to use to save money. The cage up front is made mostly out of angle iron from old bed frames. I wish someone would buy it, it was fun to build it and I still use it, but I am going in a different direction. It is great for these tiny neighborhoods I work in but that only represents 1 day of work every 2 weeks. It's worth the drive if you need something like this.

NeighborhoodCut
06-09-2011, 01:42 AM
I would love to have this. I live in gainesville not too far from ya! Just getting my business of the ground. I don`t exactly have the cash but i have a few trades.

Hell on Blades
06-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Could you design / build one to fit another truck???

Exact Rototilling
06-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Could you design / build one to fit another truck???

Yes. Been pondering with this concept for my 85 Toyota 4x4 that is in really good shape except for bed rust. The big enemy for these little trucks is the weight of the conversion vs. stock bed. This one was custom fabricated by the owner if read correctly and he used a wood floor so I'm assuming a weight savings...? The other problem in my area is the need for clippings haul off....

If anyone talks it up with the seller ask him about the weight of this conversion vs. the stock bed.

salviiip
06-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks, for the interest guys. And sorry I haven't been posting very frequently. The bed is very relatively lightweight. The design was somewhat improvised to include material that I already had and to save on cost. With a better budget I could definitely build something even lighter. The wood floor definitely saves on weight versus a sheet of steel. As far as hauling off clippings, this bed doesn't leave much extra space. This is a very need-specific build. It works perfectly for what it was intended for. I am thinking of cutting off the dovetail portion and attaching it to a full size pickup. If you remove the tailgate from a full size for truck, the dovetail will fit right onto the bed of the truck. I will probably devise a way that it can slide into a trailer hitch for removing it when not in use. Who knows? I am always changing things up. The fun is in engineering and then building it. I had a homemade tailgate lift assist built for the truck bed too. I just haven't gotten around to reinstalling it.

salviiip
06-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey guys, it's pretty sad that I have to post this but I have been getting some pretty ridiculous requests regarding the sale of this truck.

No. I will not meet halfway between where I am located (Atlanta) and Maryland, or wherever you are. I wouldn't meet with you even if it was just 15 minutes away. If you are a serious buyer and really want to purchase this truck, you will take your time and fuel to travel here to view the truck. Obviously if you are as far away as Maryland, you have to really want this truck badly to travel here to see it with no guarantees that you will actually like and purchase the truck. And even if you love the truck and wind up purchasing it, you have quite a considerable cost to factor into the purchase price. You will have spent time and fuel to drive here plus you will likely spend someone else's time to drive 2 vehicles back. If you come up here with tow truck or trailer you will likely spend just as much due to the increased cost of fuel for towing. Nevertheless, how far you have to travel doesn't matter one bit to me. I will not lower my price because you had to travel a long distance to see this truck. I mean, c'mon! Seriously? I am sorry that this even bears mentioning but I have had some seriously stupid requests.

The truck is still for sale, the price is right but this is a sorry time to be selling anything. Around here you can buy a pretty nice NPR with a landscaping bed for around $5500. My truck at $3000 doesn't even seem to compare. However, I am aware that this truck is the perfect setup for someone somewhere. I have no immediate need to sell the truck. I still drive it to get groceries and other general errands. Sadly this is the most economical vehicle I own. I am averaging 25mpg when not loaded for lawn mowing. I realize it is a very need-specific truck but you couldn't purchase this truck and this bed for this price. Unless you can build it yourself this is the best deal. The bed alone has about $600 in steel cost alone.

supercuts
06-10-2011, 10:28 PM
that bed is worth the $3k. great job.

salviiip
06-11-2011, 01:20 PM
that bed is worth the $3k. great job.

I appreciate that. I personally would find it really hard to believe that someone would pay $3000 for just the bed. But you're right. A truck bodies place would charge that much for something like this. I think mostly because it would have to be designed for the first time. Once they have built something like this and have all the plans drawn, they are quicker to build each subsequent unit. I am not a fabricator by profession just yet, but if I had the tools a real fab shop has, I could have probably built this in 3 days. I am sure a real fabricator could build it in a day.

cut level
06-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I talked to Sal this afternoon, good to meet you Sal, great price for a dang good looking truck that fits exactly what we need! We have been holding out hoping we would find a truck exactly to the tune of this one. My bro in laws buddy took a Nissan and did this himself and I said we won't find one worth a flip. Hopefully we have!
Posted via Mobile Device

salviiip
06-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Sorry again guys, but this is getting really old. If you are serious about the truck, I have a tel # posted on the craigslist ad. The craigslist ad clearly states if you are a serious buyer CALL. I am still getting PMs on lawnsite and I am not taking requests to deliver this truck from Georgia to Missouri seriously. Thanks for your compliments regarding the truck. It was a blast to build and a joy to drive and work out of.

Exact Rototilling
06-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I appreciate that. I personally would find it really hard to believe that someone would pay $3000 for just the bed. But you're right. A truck bodies place would charge that much for something like this. I think mostly because it would have to be designed for the first time. Once they have built something like this and have all the plans drawn, they are quicker to build each subsequent unit. I am not a fabricator by profession just yet, but if I had the tools a real fab shop has, I could have probably built this in 3 days. I am sure a real fabricator could build it in a day.

Salviip,

If I had your ability in welding lay out and fabrication I'd shift gears and open shop making dovetail conversion. This reminds me of days of the California gold rush. All the prospectors needed to be sold shovels and supplies....meanwhile it was slim pickings for many looking to get rich quick or even just make a living. Just like Lawncare.

What I'd really like to see is an aluminium dovetail flat bed conversion possibly using extruded aluminum to increase strength and reduce weight.

Closest thing I have seen is a UTE Ltd bed then add a tailgateramp.
Posted via Mobile Device

salviiip
06-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Salviip,

If I had your ability in welding lay out and fabrication I'd shift gears and open shop making dovetail conversion. This reminds me of days of the California gold rush. All the prospectors needed to be sold shovels and supplies....meanwhile it was slim pickings for many looking to get rich quick or even just make a living. Just like Lawncare.

What I'd really like to see is an aluminium dovetail flat bed conversion possibly using extruded aluminum to increase strength and reduce weight.

Closest thing I have seen is a UTE Ltd bed then add a tailgateramp.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am actually working really hard towards that. I have been buying, repairing, and reselling trailers for a while now. This is the first body I have ever built from scratch. I really enjoyed designing and improvising as engineering issues arose throughout the build. I built the whole body with a 110V mig welder and flux cored wire. If I had the start up money, I would buy a bigger welder and start taking orders. I have just recently built a small 20X32 metal carport with a portion of that being enclosed. Unfortunately, while running the lawn care business, it's really tough to make the time to do much else. Thanks for your comment. As for the aluminum bodies. I have seen them but they don't seem to hold up very well for very long. They have a tendency to crack. I like the idea of the weight savings and not having to worry about rust. If you have the money, there are places that will build it.

Mjben08
06-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Pics please

IRRITECH
06-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Pics please

Okay, you are certified a moron.

IRRITECH
06-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Okay, maybe not. Craigslist posting is gone. Apologies.

flatlander42
06-18-2011, 07:04 PM

Not so fast hot stuff........The craigslist post has expired, and the pics are gone.

IRRITECH
06-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Not so fast hot stuff........The craigslist post has expired, and the pics are gone.

And if you could read you would not have posted that

Exact Rototilling
06-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I saved them off the CL listing on one of my other PC's....will post them later....need to take a nap....http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/graemlins/default/sleep.gif

flatlander42
06-19-2011, 01:20 AM
And if you could read you would not have posted that

we posted at about the same time......I only saw your first post.....if you would look at the time stamps you could see that.

I also did save the pics, but won't post them they are not mine! :waving:

XLS
06-19-2011, 01:38 AM
flatlander send me the pics PM if you can thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

salviiip
06-19-2011, 02:27 AM
relax everyone, the ad did expire but I still have the images hosted. I am attaching them now. XLS, do you remember me? I found some of your old posts here about your own small landscaping truck you were supposedly building.....did you ever finish that? If so, you should post your pics. You caught a lot of crap and insults for starting that thread but not being forthcoming with your photos. Remember? Reading that thread was like watching a train wreck.

I am pretty sure the truck is sold. Will know in about an hour or so. If not, I will relist it on craigslist.

http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02846.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02847.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02848.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02849.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02854.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02855.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02856.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02857.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02858.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02859.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02860.JPG
http://dogwoodlawnandlandscape.com/DSC02861.JPG

cut level
06-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Sorry folks sale is closed! It's 3:55 a.m. Got to Sal's a lil while ago took it for a test run truck is in very good shape and has a kickass bed on it. It is a 95 model that is very tight! We dropped the drive shaft in the street ran our lights and now we are headed back to west Tn just above Memphis. A tad over 450 miles to home.

This is exactly what I have been looking for and so glad I hung with my patience I have to say it really paid off!

I know you hate to see it go Sal but I wish I was home to load it up Monday will come soon enough!

XLS I will be happy to send you some more pics of the truck to help you along the way!
Posted via Mobile Device

salviiip
06-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Sorry folks sale is closed! It's 3:55 a.m. Got to Sal's a lil while ago took it for a test run truck is in very good shape and has a kickass bed on it. It is a 95 model that is very tight! We dropped the drive shaft in the street ran our lights and now we are headed back to west Tn just above Memphis. A tad over 450 miles to home.

This is exactly what I have been looking for and so glad I hung with my patience I have to say it really paid off!

I know you hate to see it go Sal but I wish I was home to load it up Monday will come soon enough!

XLS I will be happy to send you some more pics of the truck to help you along the way!
Posted via Mobile Device

Just to clarify, the drive shaft was REMOVED so the truck could be towed back on a dolly. The drive shaft wasn't "dropped" as in the truck fell apart on a test drive. That's how it sounded to me when I read this. Good luck with the truck and take good care of her.

XLS
06-20-2011, 01:06 AM
ICertianly remember you,long time no speak... not highjacking the thread but i still catch it everytime i post pics ... i took and loaded a walker into a ranger to show how it fits and stated how we do it and i wont post pics again, tired of the jealous kids but i did start using alot or rangers that look just like yours there the only major differance is we have a 5` dovetail after the bed....the flat of our trucks end just above the rear eye of the springs. we currently have 7 of them and have started converting chevy full size.
how wide was your beds....we just use 78`` wide trailers for the frame.....on our z71`s we use 7`10`` trailers.
my guys love them for city cutting

I wish i seen your post sooner i would have loved to send it to morristown over there.....what did it sell for if you dont mind saying or pm me
Posted via Mobile Device

salviiip
06-21-2011, 12:39 AM
ICertianly remember you,long time no speak... not highjacking the thread but i still catch it everytime i post pics ... i took and loaded a walker into a ranger to show how it fits and stated how we do it and i wont post pics again, tired of the jealous kids but i did start using alot or rangers that look just like yours there the only major differance is we have a 5` dovetail after the bed....the flat of our trucks end just above the rear eye of the springs. we currently have 7 of them and have started converting chevy full size.
how wide was your beds....we just use 78`` wide trailers for the frame.....on our z71`s we use 7`10`` trailers.
my guys love them for city cutting

I wish i seen your post sooner i would have loved to send it to morristown over there.....what did it sell for if you dont mind saying or pm me
Posted via Mobile Device

I sold the truck for the asking price, $3000. Post some pics of your trucks you built. 5' dovetails on 6' ranger beds???? I want to see that. Post pics on this thread or PM me.

XLS
06-21-2011, 03:12 PM
i didnt see the thread untill i posted the other day and i would have done $3000 no question . cut level if you ever decide to sell it ....give me a yell first . it would save me hours to just buy them and not have to build them .

salviiip
06-23-2011, 02:24 PM
i didnt see the thread untill i posted the other day and i would have done $3000 no question . Cut level if you ever decide to sell it ....give me a yell first . It would save me hours to just buy them and not have to build them .

show some pics of your supposed trucks you built. Why so evasive?

XLS
06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
not evasive i just dont have pics sorry ....best i will do is post them when i go out there .and why do you care so much it looks like yours nothing special ......just work trucks

THEGOLDPRO
06-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Sounds evasive to me.

Exact Rototilling
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
salviiip,

Here is what I was refering to re: allminum flat bed conversion. Then add a Tail Gater ramp to the back.

http://www.uteltd.com/PDF/ss/SEMA-ute-beds.pdf

http://www.tailgateramps.com/tailgatedown.jpg

http://www.tailgateramps.com/augclip1.wmv

XLS
06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
do the same item fora ford ranger and you have what most of ours look like.......we also use a type of trailer on somesimilur to a `` NOJACK``trailer....check it out as well
Posted via Mobile Device

salviiip
06-26-2011, 02:14 AM
salviiip,

Here is what I was refering to re: allminum flat bed conversion. Then add a Tail Gater ramp to the back.

http://www.uteltd.com/PDF/ss/SEMA-ute-beds.pdf

http://www.tailgateramps.com/tailgatedown.jpg

http://www.tailgateramps.com/augclip1.wmv

How about that aluminum flat bed with a slide in removable dovetail with ramps....that would be sweet. When I originally started building the mighty max, I was planning for the dovetail to be removable. This would leave a flatbed like you have pictured. You could then tow a small trailer instead and still have the space in the bed. I improvised at the last minute to save money and use the steel I already had. I am planning to build my original design with removable dovetail, but I am gonna build it on an F150 or F250. I would love to find one with an inline 6 cylinder and 5 speed manual transmission. Those trucks get great MPG. I probably won't build it until this off-season but I'll post pics if I do.

Exact Rototilling
07-18-2011, 03:27 AM
How about that aluminum flat bed with a slide in removable dovetail with ramps....that would be sweet. When I originally started building the mighty max, I was planning for the dovetail to be removable. This would leave a flatbed like you have pictured. You could then tow a small trailer instead and still have the space in the bed. I improvised at the last minute to save money and use the steel I already had. I am planning to build my original design with removable dovetail, but I am gonna build it on an F150 or F250. I would love to find one with an inline 6 cylinder and 5 speed manual transmission. Those trucks get great MPG. I probably won't build it until this off-season but I'll post pics if I do.

So what years did Ford make the inline 6 with a 5 speed? I may not need the 3/4 ton and the 1/2 maybe more than adequate for my needs. What kind of ballpark MPG #'s do the inline 6's get? Is it common to find those is 4x4? I really don't know squat about full size domestic trucks. Been happy fine with my 1985 Toyota 4x4 since I bought it new, but the truck is not happy about pulling my 6x12 enclosed due to wind drag above 55 MPH. It does fine around town.
Posted via Mobile Device

rcslawncare
07-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Got a friend with a 1993 F-250 with the 300 6 cyl and a stick. Its gets 16 mpg in mixed driving and pulls a loaded car trailer great. It is only 2wd, but does have 240k on it... It just wont stop

georgiagrass
07-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Looks like it was a nice truck. This would be a good setup for someone who carries just a 21" and a small ZT or walk behind.