PDA

View Full Version : Grub Control - Nematodes, Lime...What Really Works??

NewLawnGirl
10-14-2002, 12:01 PM
We have a serious grub problem, which is causing a serious mole problem. And in the summber, it becomes a serious japanese beetle problem (they were ferocious last summer with my shrubs).

I don't think I want to apply a general "critter killer" because many of the critters living down below are good for the lawn (earthworms, etc?). I've read about using nematodes as a control, but don't know where to purchase them or how to determine how much of them to use. Could anyone tell me where to look for these, and the proper use? Or suggest anything else that won't kill every critter, just the bad ones. Someone told us that lime helps control grubs, but I haven't found any supporting documentation on it...is this true?

Thanks.

Grasshog
10-15-2002, 08:49 PM
Lime doesnt kill Gurbs. I recommend you find a local LMO and have your lawn treated with Merit. Its a once a year treatment. Good for your lawn and shurbs. Kills Grubs dead.

Lime is good for your lawn. Do add some.

NewLawnGirl
10-16-2002, 10:58 AM
Grasshog~ Is there anyway of knowing how much lime to use without actually having your soil tested? Will it harm if you use to much? Will it be ineffective if you use to little? Should I add it at the same time as aerating and seeding?

Also, what is Merit? Does it kill any other little critters or just the grubs? I'm worried about using chemicals (have a dog and well water), and about killing things that are actually good for my lawn.
Thanks!