PDA

View Full Version : Why does it seem...

Storm the Patriot
06-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Why does it seem that 9 out of 10 landscape trailers have lights that are not working...?...including my trailers...They seem to be so finicky, and after some time or another they dont work. For me it seems to be fuse related, but I do notice that it is not just me, and a lot of trailers being pulled have lights that dont work.

DQL10
06-03-2011, 10:54 PM
No clue. Maybe because wires get cut or the light bulbs get rattled around and break. All I know is that my trailer shorted out my turn signals on my truck the other day and have to replace the entire wiring on my trailer and new bulbs in my truck.

Knight511
06-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Any search about trailer lights not working good (anywhere on the internet) will turn up people telling you to check the ground. I drilled a new hole for an actual grounding lug, sanded off the paint and attached my ground to the frame of the trailer and ALL of my light problems went away.

If you have a finicky ground on your trailer, you will have finicky lights.

PROCUT1
06-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Usually it is a grounding problem.

Im constantly chasing trailer light problems.

I see it varies depending on area. Im working in Tennessee right now, and its almost 10 out of 10 trailers would fail a DOT inspection. But enforcement seems non existant.

In NY, where every local PD has a DOT unit, plus the state police DOT at every corner, you see most trailers and trucks complaint.

i would be paranoid to leave the shop in NY if I had a marker light out, and leaving without lights working, brakes working, and everything strapped down like it was a nuclear bomb would not be even considered.

Down here, you see full sized excavators, skid steers, you name it, just sitting on trailers passing you at 75 mph being held on by prayer and luck.

I dont think ive seen a landscaper with a mower strapped down yet.

White Gardens
06-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Most trailer wiring doesn't work because the owners haven't taken the time to re-wire them correctly.

Look at the age of the trailer also. I'm willing to bet that they are at least 5+ years old.

Keith
06-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Sometimes the sockets in the tail lamps can get flaky too, causing the lights to work intermittently.

One thing that I did notice though. When I switched to LEDs, they were less affected by other shortcomings. I towed a trailer around for four or five years that had a less than perfect wiring harness and they always worked. When I have trouble with the trailer I have now, LEDs will go on it.

DQL10
06-05-2011, 04:28 PM
^ x2 on the light sockets. Are LED's really that much better? I have to rewire one of my trailers sometime this week to get it to pass inspection and it needs a new light. Debated LED's or just regular halogen bulbs.

mowerbrad
06-05-2011, 05:37 PM
On my old trailer with halogen lights, the bulbs would rattle around so much that they would break...happened a couple times a season. I currently have LED's and so far so good.

I do see quite a bit of non-working lights on trailers though. Its not just landscape guys either, its the weekend campers, the guy with boat trailers, the guys with their quads going to the sand dunes, etc. Not enough people check out their trailers regularly, who knows how long some of these people have had non working trailer lights. I make sure to check over my trailer once a week and make sure everything is working.

ffemt1271
06-05-2011, 06:54 PM
i swapped to leds a few yers ago. they are very good. i swapped my new trailer to leds the day i bought it. zero light problems so far

Keith
06-05-2011, 07:26 PM
^ x2 on the light sockets. Are LED's really that much better? I have to rewire one of my trailers sometime this week to get it to pass inspection and it needs a new light. Debated LED's or just regular halogen bulbs.

I like them. Tractor Supply has a Blazer brand kit, and that is the same one I had. It's about $40, $30 when it's on sale.

I had a woman back into my trailer. She knocked the lens off and smashed up a couple of the LEDs. Luckily the emitters are red and it still worked when I quit using the trailer a few years back.

93Chevy
06-05-2011, 07:36 PM
I rewired my trailer last year myself and all my lights work fine. But I don't use mine every day anymore so it doesn't see a lot of abuse anymore. But at any rate, I took the time and did everything right on mine.

XLS
06-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I got tired of my guys "doing it Right " on a seasonal basis and decided to go to pickups and box trucks ..... they will hardly ever give you problems . it seemed that between the lights getting cracked from viberations and bumps and the work today but not tomorrow situations that out trailers gave us getting away from them was the bes way to fix the problems.