PDA

View Full Version : Can get nut off spindle

puffyhead929
06-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Anyone have any idea how to get the nut off of the top of a pulley on an Exmark ultra cut spindle? When I block the blades the shaft in the spinde still turns.

Dr.NewEarth
06-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Look for a round key hole that you could fit a nail or screw driver into and lock it in place.

I'm guessing here.

grincon
06-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Theres a bolt on the bottom.

Ridin' Green
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Barrow an impact wrench from someone. I had one I couldn't get off on a different brand of mower because of the same problem, but the impact had it off in about 3-5 seconds.

Hawkshot99
06-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Barrow an impact wrench from someone. I had one I couldn't get off on a different brand of mower because of the same problem, but the impact had it off in about 3-5 seconds.

This, or use 2 wrenches. 1 on the top nut, and 1 under the deck on the bottom of the spindle.

Ridin' Green
06-03-2011, 11:33 PM
This, or use 2 wrenches. 1 on the top nut, and 1 under the deck on the bottom of the spindle.

This will only work if one of them is left hand thread. Mine were both right handed, and that's what I was having trouble with. When I would try to take off the top nut like that, the bottom one (which had been off lots of times so that I could sharpen the blades) would back off/loosen, leaving the top one still stuck. The impact wrench didn't even require anything to hold the bottom nut. It just spun the top one off quick, fast, and in a hurry.:)

Hawkshot99
06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
This will only work if one of them is left hand thread. Mine were both right handed, and that's what I was having trouble with. When I would try to take off the top nut like that, the bottom one (which had been off lots of times so that I could sharpen the blades) would back off/loosen, leaving the top one still stuck. The impact wrench didn't even require anything to hold the bottom nut. It just spun the top one off quick, fast, and in a hurry.:)

The Exmarks have a large bolt going up through the spindle. On top of the deck is the nut he cant get off. My older scag WB was the same way as well.

knox gsl
06-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I had to use an angle grinder to get mine off when replacing a spindle.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
06-04-2011, 11:47 AM
This is nuts. <Punt intended>

If it's a bolt and nut, use a wrench on the bolt side and a impact gun on the nut side. It's really that simple.

A-1 LAWN
06-04-2011, 01:36 PM
if it is a nut.buy a nut splitter. you can purchase them from harbor freight and they actually work.