PDA

View Full Version : What to buy - Scag Tiger Cat or Hustler X-One

Rockysquirrel
06-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I am about to purchase either a new 61" Scag Tiger Cat with the 27hp Kohler and the suspension seat or the 60" Hustler X-One with the 27hp Kohler. The price of both machines are within a few hundred dollars of each other and both are available from the same dealer.

Initially I was set on the Tiger Cat because of it's deck design and cut quality but after looking at the new VX4 deck design on the new X-One, it is up for consideration.

There are some nice touches to the X-One. For example the controls are on the non-edging side, there are larger fuel tanks with site lines, automatic parking brakes, a rotated engine for easier fluid changes and a longer warranty.

The Tiger Cat has the suspension seat, a narrower width on the real wheels to allow for a greater deck overhang when cutting around beds, more anti-scalp wheels, a shorter frame, and it is also lighter.

I would appreciate any an all feedback on which one to buy and why.

Thanks.

kirkmbrown2001
06-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Hustler is the way to go! I have a hustler and I am not disappointed. You definetly want to pick the one that is better buillt with the better warranty and the winner is Hustler! You won't be disappointed!

G. Ramey
06-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I was at the Scag dealer yesterday. He told me the Tiger Cat was a renamed Tiger Cub. So it has been around a while. I used one for two weeks this spring. It was a good mower. I would say my second favorite mower behind my Hustler Mini Z. I think the X one would get my vote. Look at the new Hustler deck and the Scag deck. They are almost carbon copies of each other, so if the decks are the same I would buy the faster X one.

djagusch
06-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Hustler is the way to go! I have a hustler and I am not disappointed. You definetly want to pick the one that is better buillt with the better warranty and the winner is Hustler! You won't be disappointed!

How is it better built? Tiger cat equals proven design (basically 10yrs compared to the xone 1yr), scags cut is wonderfull, people say the xv4 or whatever they call it cuts as good as a scag. Sounds like scag was the benchmark there and wasn't beat. I would pick the proven machine.

How many things designed 10yrs ago are still contending with the competitors latest and greatest.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthSide Cutter
06-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Got a 25hp TC 61" been a good mower. I used it more this spring due to wet conditions than my TT. Just didn't rut as bad. I only gave 6700 for mine. And almost bought another with 125hrs for 4100. Really good mowers for the money.

kirkmbrown2001
06-04-2011, 10:39 PM
How is it better built? Tiger cat equals proven design (basically 10yrs compared to the xone 1yr), scags cut is wonderfull, people say the xv4 or whatever they call it cuts as good as a scag. Sounds like scag was the benchmark there and wasn't beat. I would pick the proven machine.

How many things designed 10yrs ago are still contending with the competitors latest and greatest.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your right, maybe that specific model was designed 10 years ago compared to the 1 year of the x-one. But in overall company inovation and experience, Hustler wins hands-down. Scag was founded in 1983 compared to Hustler, who produced the industry first Zero-turn mower in 1964! That's a 19 year difference. Hustler invented the zero-turn technology that everyone else copied. If you look at their timeline (http://www.hustlerturf.com/original-zero-turn-riding-mower.html), I see a lot of "firsts" in it.

I will admit that I have never driven a scag and I am not saying it is a bad machine. From my experience with Hustler and their corporate customer service, they are superior in my book. Just giving my opinion and that is after all what Rockysquirrel is looking for! :)

elitefox
06-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

+1 good points djagusch

There is a reason SCAG's motto is "simply the best" just use one. I PROMISE you'll never buy another machine or look at lawncare the same. You will have less fatigue cause scag really spent the time in engineering their machines. Not to mention you'll never see a day of down time. Demo both machines, you'll walk away orange and proud

djagusch
06-04-2011, 11:32 PM
[SQUOTE=kirkmbrown2001;4052146]Your right, maybe that specific model was designed 10 years ago compared to the 1 year of the x-one. But in overall company inovation and experience, Hustler wins hands-down. Scag was founded in 1983 compared to Hustler, who produced the industry first Zero-turn mower in 1964! That's a 19 year difference. Hustler invented the zero-turn technology that everyone else copied. If you look at their timeline (http://www.hustlerturf.com/original-zero-turn-riding-mower.html), I see a lot of "firsts" in it.

I will admit that I have never driven a scag and I am not saying it is a bad machine. From my experience with Hustler and their corporate customer service, they are superior in my book. Just giving my opinion and that is after all what Rockysquirrel is looking for! :)[/QUOTE]

I would say scags sales to commerical end users the last 30yrs would be higher but don't have numbers to back it.

Dane Scag started a great company (and others) and metalcraft took the reigns. Since 1995 they have used the same spindle assemble as today without much issues. Other mfg's change every couple years. Their line up of belt drive w/b goes way back in design and still sells well today. The turf tiger is from 1998, tiger cub/cat since 2001. I can't think of any mfg that has 90's designs that still compete to the newest of today. There cut is great.

Oh by the way I owned a super z for a yr and sold it as I felt it was a throw away mower, get 4 yrs out of it and its junk. Bought a trimstar the same year and had a frame replaced due to welds cracking making the mower 2 pcs.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnroscoe
06-05-2011, 12:24 AM
We've got a Scag TC with a 52" deck in our fleet going on its 6th year, and it's the best ZTR I've ever seen. Solid as a rock, easy to maintain, great cut quality. I wouldn't trade that 6 year old machine other manufacturer's new machine, it's that good. When it dies, we'll replace it with the same thing.

rwaters
06-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I would say scags sales to commerical end users the last 30yrs would be higher but don't have numbers to back it.

Dane Scag started a great company (and others) and metalcraft took the reigns. Since 1995 they have used the same spindle assemble as today without much issues. Other mfg's change every couple years. Their line up of belt drive w/b goes way back in design and still sells well today. The turf tiger is from 1998, tiger cub/cat since 2001. I can't think of any mfg that has 90's designs that still compete to the newest of today. There cut is great.

Oh by the way I owned a super z for a yr and sold it as I felt it was a throw away mower, get 4 yrs out of it and its junk. Bought a trimstar the same year and had a frame replaced due to welds cracking making the mower 2 pcs.
Posted via Mobile Device

come on look up the right info. Scag has not been producing the same mower with no design changes. Scag produces a good mower but stick to the facts. Every company trys to improve the deck design from year to year including scag. Test the mowers out if you can, see what mower you prefer. I am guessing dealer support will be the same.

By the way yes I am a Hustler dealer, but I do not in any way work for Hustler, and as I am not a scag dealer I will not make any money on the sell of your mower. I am shocked that the scag is that close we are about a $1000 lower on the xone then the local scag dealer.

Rockysquirrel
06-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for everyone's input so far. I have been reading as much as I can and it seems like both machines have their pros and cons. Unfortunately I haven't come to a clear decision yet. None of my local Hustler dealers have an X-One to demo to see how the cut quality and comfort are since these are very important to me. It seems as though the steering on the Hustler's are better than the Scag's due to the larger steering dampener but this might just be getting used to the machine.

Are there any opinions on the larger hydro pumps with the cooling fans on the X-One over the smaller ones with no fans on the Tiger Cat? Either machine would be powered by the same 27hp Kohler so are the larger pumps going to use more of the engines power? The X-One also has an internal hydro fluid tank filter versus the Tiger Cats external filter with additional hoses if that makes a difference. The grip pads on the foot pan on the X-One look a little cheap compared to the Tiger Cat. Do they end up peeling off?

Rwaters, you mentioned that the Tiger Cat was selling for about $1000 more than the X-One where you are. Where I am located, with the Scag promotion, the Tiger Cat is the cheaper of the two machines by about $400.

Lastly, since Excel Industries (the manufacturer of the Hustler) also makes the Big Dog X1060, is the Hustler just a Big Dog painted yellow with fuel tank windows? It seems a little disappointing to see that they are selling similar machines.

Any additional help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

NCGreenWorx
06-05-2011, 05:30 PM
It may come down to who has the better financing, ( got my x-one for 3.75% APR for 5 years) and which dealer is closer to you. Also which dealer has a fast turn around for maintenance if you ever need it. I think a lot of these commercial mowers split hairs when it comes down to it, I have talked to a lot of guys around my town and everyone love the mower they got. The only time I hear someone complain is when they didn't get enough mower for the job.

Something else I just thought about...accessories! the x-one is my first z-turn mower. I went from a 48" lesco walk behind and I was surprised by the clippings left behind by the x-one. I am now looking into a bagger/grass catcher. So think about any ad ons you might want to price compare those too.

RTR Landscaping
06-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I have all Scags and use the Tiger Cat 52". Scag in my opinion makes the best mowers period. I'm sure Hustler is a good machine but I would go with the Scag. My friend just bought a Scag Cheetah and got 3.75% for 60 months. Of course you need to consider the dealer's service and support after the sale. I own 6 Scags and my maintainence costs track about even from year to year. If he has one, look at a cut away of the scag spindle. I've never had to replace one. The Velocity decks are really good at cutting all different types of grass wet or dry. You'll probably be happy with either, good luck!

ALC-GregH
06-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I have all Scags and use the Tiger Cat 52". Scag in my opinion makes the best mowers period. I'm sure Hustler is a good machine but I would go with the Scag. My friend just bought a Scag Cheetah and got 3.75% for 60 months. Of course you need to consider the dealer's service and support after the sale. I own 6 Scags and my maintainence costs track about even from year to year. If he has one, look at a cut away of the scag spindle. I've never had to replace one. The Velocity decks are really good at cutting all different types of grass wet or dry. You'll probably be happy with either, good luck!

Thanks for saving me the time to post all that. :)

Simply the BEST!

Lawnut101
06-07-2011, 01:39 AM
I got a good price on a Hustler X-One. I may be picking one up. Just wondering how the new deck cuts, if anyone knows...

Jims Lawncare
06-07-2011, 07:49 AM
I Wouldnt get rid of my Scag TC for any other mower, except for a Scag Turf Tiger...I Love It, and my customers Love the finish cut it leaves.

rwaters
06-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

The scag deck has not been without redesign in the last 10 years. In fact I have a stack of them from a few years ago that were all replaced before they made it out to the field they were so bad.

What deck is on your scag? The older scag decks just plain SUCK but the velocity deck is supposed to be very good with crappy over grown lawns because it has a huge discharge opening allowing it to really get the grass cut and out from under the deck. Does the grass look like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/1306682152588.jpg

Or is it more reasonable? If it is super tall like above I dont know of any finish mower that will do a good job with out having to make multiple passes.

MOHUSTLER
06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
We are a dealer for both brands. I will say that yes scag has set the bar for everyone else to keep up with on cut quality. And id argue that hustler set the bar for operator comfort.

Scag has tried to follow what hustler has done with the cheetah in ride comfort. And hustler has tried to follow what scag as done in deck design.

For me as a dealer it would be extremly hard for me to pick a winner between the two. Both are top of the line mowers.

All I can say is im happy to sell both brands because either way I win :)

Rockysquirrel
06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Mohustler,

Since you have the benefit of selling both Scag and Hustler, would you be able to do some pros and cons on each of the machines in question? Some of the items include cut quality, durability/strength, overall design, components, quantity and ease of adjustments/maintenance/repairs, cost and availability of parts, ride comfort, navigability around beds (tight turns and overhang), resale value, and manufacturer longevity, support and warranty.

If price and profit were not decision factors, which machine would you personally buy, the Tiger Cat or the X-One and why? Lastly do you think the two machines are comparable or not?

Thanks as this is a big purchase and I want to make the right decision.

djagusch
06-07-2011, 11:52 PM
The scag deck has not been without redesign in the last 10 years. In fact I have a stack of them from a few years ago that were all replaced before they made it out to the field they were so bad.

Yes the standard deck was to 2001 when the advantage deck came out, they kept that deck to 2006 when the velocity deck came out. Same deck since.

I own a 02 tt w/advantage deck and it cuts great. Also have a couple mowers with the velocity also cuts great. Sounds like you are a dealer that didn't know how to adjust pitch and figure out how to get a great cut for your area.

For a tt's frame from 02 on is the same with minor changes (rops mount different back plate for engine lenghts). The biggest changes in the tt was a deck lift springs and hydro res change in 02. Rest is changes in engine offers, and some hydro size changes. So another words no start from scratch redesigns, just tweaks.

For the tiger cub/cat the is very little changed since 02. Engines, rops mounts, seat offering.

I don't know any mfg that has this little change on it mower line.
Posted via Mobile Device

A-1 LAWN
06-08-2011, 12:30 AM
go with the scag!

MOHUSTLER
06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Mohustler,

Since you have the benefit of selling both Scag and Hustler, would you be able to do some pros and cons on each of the machines in question? Some of the items include cut quality, durability/strength, overall design, components, quantity and ease of adjustments/maintenance/repairs, cost and availability of parts, ride comfort, navigability around beds (tight turns and overhang), resale value, and manufacturer longevity, support and warranty.

If price and profit were not decision factors, which machine would you personally buy, the Tiger Cat or the X-One and why? Lastly do you think the two machines are comparable or not?

Thanks as this is a big purchase and I want to make the right decision.

Il do my best to answer your questions.

Cut quality, scag has held this crown for years. Hustlers new deck is verry close though. The scag does still leave a better stripe of both mowers ( no stripe kits installed)

Durability,... Scag has a great rep for being a tank. And they ARE! Hustler is no slouch in that area, I see verry few problems from the hustlers in this catageory. Both have freak failures, every brand does but neither have reoccuring porblems as of now.

Over all design, This question is hard. It kinda lumps all catagories into one. But I personaly think hustler has the best design out of all Z turns made. Simple smooth and easy. Thats what everyone looks for.

Cost and avaliability of parts. Both hustler and scag go through a distubritor for me. All are allways alaviable. I can count on one hand the number of times something has been on backorder. BOTH are top knotch. On the price I give the edge to hustler, they tend to be a tad cheaper on replacment parts.

Ride comfort.......Hustler hands down. Not even a comparasion

Manuveribility, I still tend to lean twards the hustler with a smoother dampener system. Just has a better feel to me (this one is strictly oppinion of every operator)

Resale value... Tie, they both are about exactly the same.

Support and warranty,... Support is a tie, Both are excelent. Hustler is deff the king of factory and dealer support. Scag is just as good. No complaints about either. ( but I have 2 great reps that will bend over backwards for thier dealers) Takes alot of slack off of me when I know I have someone who will stand up for the dealer as well.

Warranty, They both have above the normal warranty periods. And I dont think neither has denied me a claim that I have submitted to them.
Sleep easy when you buy either machine.

Last just for fun, which one would I buy.... This year I own an X1 last year I owned a tiger cat. who knows what il try next year. :)

benjaminesh
06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
We have approx 120 hours on the x-one and so far I'm impressed. The cut quality is very good, we have mowed in the rain quite a few times this spring (foreclosed properties) and it still discharges clippings very well. I have never owned a scag but have demoed a few and the operator comfort is much better on the x-one

Guzzo856
06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
go with the tiger cat. scag is a proven company with all of their mowers. The tiger cat is wery menouverable and handled tight like a speed car. Much more quality

Rockysquirrel
06-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Mohustler,

Thanks again for your point by point review. This sure is a tough decision. Do you think the components on either machine are better than the other. For example Scag touts their spindles as being the best and Hustler has the smoothtrak steering with the larger dampener. The Scag has smaller hydro pumps with no cooling fans and the Hustlers are larger with fans. Do you think it makes any difference? Am I correct that the Scag has all self adjusting belts where the Hustler requires manual tension adjustments?

What about the tire to tire width for overall handling, comfort, and trimming in tight places like curved beds? The Scag is 46" wide and the Hustler is 54". The Hustler publishes a left side trim capacity of 5.9" and I do not know what the Scag is but mathematically it should me more.

To further complicate my decision, I have the opportunity to buy an almost new 2011 60" Super Z with the 31hp Kawi and the flex forks for the same money as the X-One and the Tiger Cat. I would be glad to hear anyone's thoughts on this option. My concerns on the Super Z are as follows;
1. The 31hp Kawi is not powerful enough to run the large pumps or as good as the Kohler since there are no hydraulic valves lifters
2. The rear wheel to wheel width is even wider at 57" creating a trim side capacity of only 2.5"
3. The machine it the heaviest at over 1500lbs (300 - 400 lbs more than the other machines).

Thanks again. I know a decision is looming.

djagusch
06-08-2011, 10:51 PM
What are you mowing. Are you a commerical guy or homeoqwner avg size lawn?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rockysquirrel
06-08-2011, 10:58 PM
What are you mowing. Are you a commerical guy or homeoqwner avg size lawn?
Posted via Mobile Device

All of the lawns are residential ranging in size from 1/2 to 1 acre. I currently do them all with a 48" walkbehind.

MOHUSTLER
06-09-2011, 09:56 AM
The 31hp super Z is plenty of power. The 37 is nice but overkill.

The scag wins on the trim side. Not sure of the exact measurment but I know its greater then then X1. Since I dont commercial mow anymore I cant say that it will hurt you though. I have never had a issue with either mower in that catageory.

The super Z is one heck of a mower and if you can get that mower for around the same price DO IT. Ya its heavy as a stuck pig, but for good reason, its a heavy built cut no corners mower.

The hydro comparison is a hard one. They are both good and I have not had an issue with either mower cooling fans or not. They are both good.

(p.s) I think cooling fans are worthless and only used as a sales tool. I dont belive as far as they hyrdo goes that blowing air over the ouside of the pump can cool the system more then 2-5 degreese. Which is almost nothing. Compared to an actuaual cooling system that cools the mower hydros 20-30 degrees.

Also PJ, if your reading this, I have been wondering if hustler knows how much the new super Z hydro system cools. I know its above and beyond any cooling system that anyone has put on a mower to date.

Chevy z71
06-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Tiger Cat.

THG
06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Rocky Squirrel,
Did you pull the trigger yet? I am a Scag person myself but I have never tried a Hustler. Just curious as to what you did.

Rockysquirrel
06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
No final decision yet. Originally it was only the Tiger Cat, then I saw the new Hustler deck design and the X-One entered the mix. Lastly the Super Z deal for the same money. I haven't been able to demo the Hustlers to see how they do. I liked the Tiger Cat and have always liked Scags but the Hustlers seem to be doing some things just a little better. Unfortunately I haven't personally experienced the Hustlers cut quality with the new deck and that is one of my most important criteria.

Rockysquirrel
06-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, I ruled out the slightly used 2011 Super Z since I found out from Kawasaki their three year warranty is NOT transferable beyond the original owner regardless of the number of hours on the machine/engine.

Hustler does allow portions of the machine warranty (not engine, lifetime frame, lifetime leading edge of deck, and 5 year/3000 hour pump and motor on Super Z) to be transferred for a $100 fee after it has been checked out by a Hustler dealer.

Now I am back to the Scag Tiger Cat or the X-One. There are no choices to be made on the Tiger Cat but the X-One offers the Kohler 27 or Kawasaki 31hp engine.

cutnedge
03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Il do my best to answer your questions.

Cut quality, scag has held this crown for years. Hustlers new deck is verry close though. The scag does still leave a better stripe of both mowers ( no stripe kits installed)

Durability,... Scag has a great rep for being a tank. And they ARE! Hustler is no slouch in that area, I see verry few problems from the hustlers in this catageory. Both have freak failures, every brand does but neither have reoccuring porblems as of now.

Over all design, This question is hard. It kinda lumps all catagories into one. But I personaly think hustler has the best design out of all Z turns made. Simple smooth and easy. Thats what everyone looks for.

Cost and avaliability of parts. Both hustler and scag go through a distubritor for me. All are allways alaviable. I can count on one hand the number of times something has been on backorder. BOTH are top knotch. On the price I give the edge to hustler, they tend to be a tad cheaper on replacment parts.

Ride comfort.......Hustler hands down. Not even a comparasion

Manuveribility, I still tend to lean twards the hustler with a smoother dampener system. Just has a better feel to me (this one is strictly oppinion of every operator)

Resale value... Tie, they both are about exactly the same.

Support and warranty,... Support is a tie, Both are excelent. Hustler is deff the king of factory and dealer support. Scag is just as good. No complaints about either. ( but I have 2 great reps that will bend over backwards for thier dealers) Takes alot of slack off of me when I know I have someone who will stand up for the dealer as well.

Warranty, They both have above the normal warranty periods. And I dont think neither has denied me a claim that I have submitted to them.
Sleep easy when you buy either machine.

Last just for fun, which one would I buy.... This year I own an X1 last year I owned a tiger cat. who knows what il try next year. :)

Wow! What an excellent post MOHUSTLER......

Procut lawn expert
03-06-2012, 12:42 AM
i run scag turf tigers but do not like the kohler i run kawasaki 29hp and cat motors that kohler blows up in no time. you will love it i have run a lot of mowers and i don't see me getting on anything else again

mtmower
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM
MoHustler. Not to high jack but how would you compare the new SZ to a TT/Cheetah? Esp. the QOC? Are your guys mowing yet. Thanks

Procut lawn expert
03-07-2012, 11:04 PM
how do you like that hustler i have heard nothing but good about them they told me where i got m they had those to that the deck was about the same what motor you got on your .yea i am mowing down in TN are you could you post some pics of the mowing that thing does

mtmower
03-08-2012, 12:38 AM
how do you like that hustler i have heard nothing but good about them they told me where i got m they had those to that the deck was about the same what motor you got on your .yea i am mowing down in TN are you could you post some pics of the mowing that thing does

Procut. If you are asking me. I think you would be hard pressed to find a heavier duty built mower than the Hustler. I ran a Honda 24 and still have a Kohler 28 efi 66". At 1000 hrs each, other than a couple of problems with the Honda motor and the very early bearing styled pulleys on my 1998 they are great, simple to work on, fast, good warranty, factory is great, smooth to operate, etc. If this new VX4 deck cuts great, the only other things they could do to improve them IMO would be: vibration dampened operator platform, pneumatic front. tires (which they used to have, now optional), bigger gas tanks (now down to 12 gal. do to EPA goodies), I understand the gas cap tethers are bothersome, unless they've changed something it would be nice if the deck took less effort to lift, and of course cut the price in half. :rolleyes:

Couldn't come up with any pics quick. But they cut and stripe nice. The only deck issue I had with the earlier style was the clipping dispersal. Not so much clumping just not spread out nice and evenly, which caused me to use my back pack blower to make it look perfect in our thick fine northern grasses. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Procut lawn expert
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks man i am really thinking about trying one this year. i have looked at a few i have just never had any luck with kohler motors

Ridin' Green
03-08-2012, 03:20 PM
mtmower, and Procut
I have posted links to mickhippy's youtube channel several times, but I see he just posted these pics yesterday of a cut he did with his new 2012 SZ.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=370492

Exmarkboy13
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Hey what did you choose? im debating between these two mowers aswell

S&M Landscapes
10-16-2012, 12:12 AM
I recently demoed both of these mowers.

I have had a tt, but needed something a little smaller for res properties.

I have to say i didnt mind the hustler, nice cut.. but when it came down to it, the scag just felt so much more solid.. and the velocity+ deck on bermuda, wet or dry is the best i have ever seen.
Posted via Mobile Device

brewe
10-16-2012, 09:46 PM
another Scag fan!:dancing:

T Scapes
10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
i was out looking at mowers with a friend monday i have a tiger cat and love it he checked both out and both of us agreed on scag. To me the X 1 didnt look as well built as scag i would of love to put em side by side but everything on my scag looked so much better built and beefier