PDA

View Full Version : What's the best leaf bagger for a John Deere Z-Trak?

Ijustwantausername
06-04-2011, 05:59 PM
I have a pretty large church I will have to bag leaves for in the fall and wanted to go on ahead and purchase a good bagging system. Lots of bumps and holes on the property so it needs to be a good one. Any suggestions?

mowerbrad
06-04-2011, 08:30 PM
The system that John Deere offers is about the best one you can get for a Z-trak. You can go aftermarket but its hit and miss for whether people like them or not, the Deere system gets pretty good reviews, I know I like mine.

Ijustwantausername
06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
The system that John Deere offers is about the best one you can get for a Z-trak. You can go aftermarket but its hit and miss for whether people like them or not, the Deere system gets pretty good reviews, I know I like mine.

Oh ok, would I have to go to an actual dealership to buy it? How much did it run you? Where did you get it?

LawnCareNoobie
06-04-2011, 11:34 PM
I have a pretty large church I will have to bag leaves for in the fall and wanted to go on ahead and purchase a good bagging system. Lots of bumps and holes on the property so it needs to be a good one. Any suggestions?

Cyclone rake is your best bet. I got one that I use with a 727A.

I got the cyclone rake XL (biggest one at the time) which holds something like 40 bushels. Way more than you can hold in any bagging system. It also has a separate engine so you aren't drawing hp from the mower engine and it was cheaper. You talk to someone and tell them what mower you have, they will choose the right setup that you need.

Works great and it's a huge time saver.

http://www.cyclonerake.com/index.htm

Ijustwantausername
06-05-2011, 12:24 AM

I got the cyclone rake XL (biggest one at the time) which holds something like 40 bushels. Way more than you can hold in any bagging system. It also has a separate engine so you aren't drawing hp from the mower engine and it was cheaper. You talk to someone and tell them what mower you have, they will choose the right setup that you need.

Works great and it's a huge time saver.

http://www.cyclonerake.com/index.htm

Yeah, that's what I think I'm going to go with. I just hate that its like 6 ft long. I only have a 12 ft trailer. Either I'm going to have to unhook it when I load it and slide the tongue part under the mower or buy a bigger trailer? Ehh...

Ijustwantausername
06-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Are PECO baggers any good?

mowerbrad
06-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Oh ok, would I have to go to an actual dealership to buy it? How much did it run you? Where did you get it?

You would actually have to go to a dealership to buy one. There are two models you can get, a 2-bag model or a 3-bag model. They will run you from about $1900 for the 2-bag to $2800 for the 3-bag model. I bought the 3-bag model and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's expensive but well worth the money. It packs the bags nice and even, chops up leaves pretty well and I can take the whole system on and off in a matter of a couple minutes.

On a previous ztr I had a trac-vac 655pro so it stuck out much farther than the bagger I have now. I hated taking that on properties, especially ones that I would have to go around obsticles because of how much tail swing it had. It also took up too much space on the trailer and was not good on hills. I would never buy a trac-vac again.

Ijustwantausername
06-05-2011, 02:40 AM
You would actually have to go to a dealership to buy one. There are two models you can get, a 2-bag model or a 3-bag model. They will run you from about $1900 for the 2-bag to $2800 for the 3-bag model. I bought the 3-bag model and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's expensive but well worth the money. It packs the bags nice and even, chops up leaves pretty well and I can take the whole system on and off in a matter of a couple minutes.

On a previous ztr I had a trac-vac 655pro so it stuck out much farther than the bagger I have now. I hated taking that on properties, especially ones that I would have to go around obsticles because of how much tail swing it had. It also took up too much space on the trailer and was not good on hills. I would never buy a trac-vac again.

Thanks man, for that much though there is a Toro with a built in rear bagger for $2800 on CL. I'd rather have a whole mower for that cost :dizzy:

LawnCareNoobie
06-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Yeah, that's what I think I'm going to go with. I just hate that its like 6 ft long. I only have a 12 ft trailer. Either I'm going to have to unhook it when I load it and slide the tongue part under the mower or buy a bigger trailer? Ehh...

Yeah, that is the only downside with it being long. I have a 16 ' and 12' trailer and on the 12' I have to disconnect it and slide it under the mower a little, just like you said. It turns with the mower too so you got to watch out when mowing next to things. Doesn't take long to get used to though.

ixlr8
06-06-2011, 07:41 AM

I got the cyclone rake XL (biggest one at the time) which holds something like 40 bushels.
[begin hijack]
LCN- I also have a 727a and I have been doing the debate between the CR and the JD bagger. Why did you pick the CR over the JD bagger and can you give me some plus/minus of the CR. I like the convienence of the JD bagger, but I find the 727 is a little weak on some of the hills I deal with and I am afraid that the JD bagger will take too much power to drive. Then again.. the CR loaded is going to make the 727 struggle on the hills as well.

TIA
[end hijack]

LawnCareNoobie
06-06-2011, 11:22 PM
[begin hijack]
LCN- I also have a 727a and I have been doing the debate between the CR and the JD bagger. Why did you pick the CR over the JD bagger and can you give me some plus/minus of the CR. I like the convienence of the JD bagger, but I find the 727 is a little weak on some of the hills I deal with and I am afraid that the JD bagger will take too much power to drive. Then again.. the CR loaded is going to make the 727 struggle on the hills as well.

TIA
[end hijack]

I just thought I would get a lot more for my money with the cyclone rake than the JD bagger, and it was still cheaper. The separate engine and the amount of debris you can pick up without having to empty it was the biggest factor in my decision. You don't have to use it to mow either. You can walk around with a long hose and suck leaves out of garden beds or just rake big piles of leaves into the hose.

There are very few negatives with the cyclone rake alone. The only thing is the length of it and having to be careful when you make turns. You could really take something out with it if you aren't paying attention. You aren't going to be able to mow like you would without it either. It doesn't matter to me because I am just trying to pick up the leaves and not worry about making stripes, etc.

It does get pretty heavy, and the hydro pump does whine a little more when using it but there was never a point where I thought "maybe I shouldn't be using this." I have used it for two seasons so far and have gone all day sucking up leaves without a problem. How hilly are the properties that you are doing? I haven't really used it on a lawn with serious hilly terrain so I can't tell you how it would work on there. They should of put at least a 25hp engine on those 727s. Other than that I really like mine.

ixlr8
06-07-2011, 10:27 AM
They should of put at least a 25hp engine on those 727s. Other than that I really like mine.
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. I agree the 727 could use a few more HP, other than that.. I really like mine. Based on your comments and most of my properties, I think I will go with the Cyclone Rake and save myself $1000.
Thank you again,