PDA

View Full Version : Bad Dealer!!!

kgcs
06-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I am currently a Hustler user and I love their mowers. The problem is my local dealer. When I bought the mower the lady told me that we treat are customers like family. Well I am glad to say I am not her son. When ever I need service they always see me faster than the other customers (there wait is 2-4 weeks if not longer), but that is still 1-2 days. That is 1-2 days that I loose money on. When I go in they will stop what there doing to look at it but not fix it. I understand if they can't fix it right away but it has to be sooner than a day or two. Am I right to be mad about this or is this the way all dealers are??

Also another topic but there is another dealer in town that has a good reputation but they do not sell hustlers. They only sell exmark and stihl. How are they in comparison to hustler and echo?

knox gsl
06-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I am currently a Hustler user and I love their mowers. The problem is my local dealer. When I bought the mower the lady told me that we treat are customers like family. Well I am glad to say I am not her son. When ever I need service they always see me faster than the other customers (there wait is 2-4 weeks if not longer), but that is still 1-2 days. That is 1-2 days that I loose money on. When I go in they will stop what there doing to look at it but not fix it. I understand if they can't fix it right away but it has to be sooner than a day or two. Am I right to be mad about this or is this the way all dealers are??

Also another topic but there is another dealer in town that has a good reputation but they do not sell hustlers. They only sell exmark and stihl. How are they in comparison to hustler and echo?

1-2 day turn around is pretty good, and the reason that I have a backup mower. As far as an Exmark compared to a Hustler its just as good and comes down to personal preferrence and dealer support same with Echo and Stihl. Before jumping ship on your current dealer you may want to go talk to the Exmark dealer and find out what they are willing to do when you need to get a machine repaired as I think 1-2 days is hard to beat. I also only take a mower to the dealer for repair work if its under warrenty, other than that I will fix it on my own time, same with normal maintenance.

punt66
06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
wow, complaining about 1-2 days? For this to be annoying you must be in there a lot! Go Hustler!

kgcs
06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
1-2 day turn around is pretty good, and the reason that I have a backup mower. As far as an Exmark compared to a Hustler its just as good and comes down to personal preferrence and dealer support same with Echo and Stihl. Before jumping ship on your current dealer you may want to go talk to the Exmark dealer and find out what they are willing to do when you need to get a machine repaired as I think 1-2 days is hard to beat. I also only take a mower to the dealer for repair work if its under warrenty, other than that I will fix it on my own time, same with normal maintenance.

Yes I understand 1-2 day turn around is good but I am looking for something better. I buy all my trimmers, blowers, edgers, and parts from them and I know I can find it cheaper else where but I prefer to give them business so when I need help they will stop what they are doing and help me. Right now I am not in a position to afford a back-up mower so when my mower is down, my business is down.

rcslawncare
06-04-2011, 06:42 PM
My Deere dealer always has loaners available, when I needed them just to check something out, within the hour I had another mower on the trailer and back to work. Toro dealer did the same thing to me like you described, so I lost them. Good luck, 1-2 days isn't bad, but Id check to see if they will loan you a demo...

kgcs
06-04-2011, 06:45 PM
One of the main reasons I am mad, is the fact that I brought a mower in there yesterday that had the clutch fall off. I told them I thought the bolt was stripped and it would need a new one. This was at 10am in the morning. So, I call back at 4 in the afternoon and asked if they had got a chance to look at it and he said it would be the first thing they do in the morning. So I go by there this morning to see if it was ready because I only believed it needed a bolt. Well when I go in there he tells me that the bolt was stripped (REALLY I told you that when I dropped it off) and it needs a new one. So I said sure go ahead and do it. He then says that is the problem, it has to be ordered and it will take a day to come in. That is why I am pissed. If he would of just spent 5 minutes on it yesterday and realized it needed a new bolt he could of ordered yesterday and it would of been in today. Now I have to wait until Monday to pick it up!

kgcs
06-04-2011, 06:48 PM
BTW they have floor models that have this bolt on it. Why couldn't they just take it off one of them and put it on mine. I like what you said rcslawncare about loaners but my dealer does not do that. I will check with the other dealership in town and see if they do that with there equipment.

kgcs
06-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I just googled the review for my dealer and it has one star. Here are some of the reviews. I really wished I did some research on my dealer before I bought my mower.

by The Forgotten One 08/31/2010
This company has promised that my equiptment would be ready on a certain date,and it wasn't. I took a string trimmer in that was working but hard to start, and requested a tuneup. They called and stated that it had been running but had quit. They told me that the coil was bad and another one was unavailable. I checked with the local Stihl dealer and was told that they hadn't tried to get a new coil.
I WOULD NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN.
Was this review helpful? 00 Report Abuse | Subscribe to The Forgotten One's reviews
Comment on Review

by Dissatisfied 04/26/2008
Told me my lawn mower would be repaired on Wednesday. On Friday told me it would be Saturday. On Saturday said it would be Tuesday. Offered no apology for the delay and told me that "if I didn't like it," i could come pick up the (unfixed) mower and be charged for the time they'd worked on it. Yeah, right. This is the second bad experience with these folks. Won't use again and advise everyone to steer clear.
Was this review helpful? 10 Report Abuse | Subscribe to Dissatisfied's reviews
Comment on Review

by mrbehne 04/24/2007
I will never go back !!!!: I took a 6 month old riding mower in to be fixed. I told them the main trans. pully had come loose before and I tightened down. Now the drive belt was eat up and needed replacing. I received the mower back with a new belt and a large bill. The next week when I tired to put it in Hi gear it vibrated like crazy. I took it back and this time I was told it needed some modified spring part to hold a new pully down. I paid another bill, then head to Wal Mart to see about a warranty reconcile. Amanda told me this had to be filed from GA Mower Co. I went back to the Ga Mower & Equipment place and was told : "This needed to be authorized by Wal Mart to be covered" Then she said a pully would not be covered anyway and there was nothing she would do! I grabbed my receipt back and said "Fine". She said I must be crazy and would call the law on me. I said " go ahead". As I left she came and made like she was getting my tag number..... STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE

knox gsl
06-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I agree with you about diagnosing a simple problem and ordering the part asap. There is no real good excuse for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
06-04-2011, 08:09 PM
1-2 days is good but they should have loaners or demos for commercial clients. Is your mower in there that often? If so consider buy a back up mower. Maybe a cheap walkbehind. Exmark and Stihl are two of the best in my opinion. I have no experience with hustler.
Posted via Mobile Device

MowingMowingMowing
06-04-2011, 08:12 PM
The dealer I go to has 24 hour turnaround or he will give you a mower off the show room floor, can't beat that.

mowerbrad
06-04-2011, 08:24 PM
You complain like you are some "high roller" coming in their shop and buy multiple mowers from them every year. You have spent what, $6000 total at their shop?

You have absolutely no reason to complain about a 1-2 day turn around, that is a great turn around time. They move you up to the "front of the line" and get your machine in and out within 2 days. What more do you want them to do, drop everything they have going and service/inspect your machine right then? I have news for you, you are not their only customer. Every other customer wants the exact same thing as you...service NOW!!

You just need to relax, the world doesn't just revolve around you!

kgcs
06-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I know the world doesn't revolve around me. I am ok with the 1-2 day turn around, I wish it was better but I am ok with it. Like I said earlier, the thing that pissed me off is the fact that they didn't do a quick inspection to see what needed to be done. It would of saved me 3 days if they would of realized then they need a new part and went ahead and ordered it then. Is that asking to much?
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I know the world doesn't revolve around me. I am ok with the 1-2 day turn around, I wish it was better but I am ok with it. Like I said earlier, the thing that pissed me off is the fact that they didn't do a quick inspection to see what needed to be done. It would of saved me 3 days if they would of realized then they need a new part and went ahead and ordered it then. Is that asking to much?
Posted via Mobile Device

You need to talk to the owner or manager and explain when your down your losing money. I would ask about a loaner. I don't care if you spent 1000 or $6000 if they want your business they better get on it. They should of took the bolt out of the floor model and fixed your the next day. I would insist that they do it. I would also tell them you need to buy a 2nd mower for backup, and would they be interested in selling you one? I ask to try a bigger model and demo it while they are fixing mine. Use it to get caught up.

Also next time do your own repairs on clutches etc. and find a new dealer asap. That guys a joke.

knox gsl
06-04-2011, 09:25 PM
How about a stripped bolt can be had at a hardware or parts store. Less than an hour an your back at work.

Will P.C.
06-04-2011, 09:31 PM
1-2 days is pretty good turnaround time. I have dealt with all types of dealers and they all promise quick turn around. I have only experienced 1 dealer that was good and the rest were your typical "bring it in and we will look at it" and then act dumb.

kgcs
06-04-2011, 09:32 PM
How about a stripped bolt can be had at a hardware or parts store. Less than an hour an your back at work.

Yeah I thought the same thing but is a special bolt that has to be torqued the right way or the clutch would be destroyed. But now that I think about it, maybe I was duped. The dealer also runs a lawn care service. Maybe he just wants less grass cutters out there lol

kgcs
06-04-2011, 09:34 PM
1-2 days is pretty good turnaround time. I have dealt with all types of dealers and they all promise quick turn around. I have only experienced 1 dealer that was good and the rest were your typical "bring it in and we will look at it" and then act dumb.

Wait... you are telling me there are dealers out there that do not act dumb?!?! Tell me where!!!

underPSI
06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Instead of complaining about a dealer I would be more concerned as to why my mower was in and out of the shop so much.

Will P.C.
06-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Wait... you are telling me there are dealers out there that do not act dumb?!?! Tell me where!!!

Well, the excellent dealer I am talking about stopped selling Stihl. They dropped Stihl, but continue to carry Red Max. They just do not sale any mowers or equipment I need or am interested in. They are a big Snapper dealer though and the Briggs factory is right across the street. My neighbor bought a 2004 rider with a brand new engine for 350 dollars.

kgcs
06-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Instead of complaining about a dealer I would be more concerned as to why my mower was in and out of the shop so much.

My mower is not in out of the shop alot, it is just the fact that when it is things like this make me mad. I bought my mower the beginning of last season and it has only been to the shop three times.

knox gsl
06-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Well maybe this will answer your question on Exmark then. I bought it in June of 2009, hasn't been to the shop yet. The only problem I've had from it is a bent blade.

rwaters
06-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Yeah I thought the same thing but is a special bolt that has to be torqued the right way or the clutch would be destroyed. But now that I think about it, maybe I was duped. The dealer also runs a lawn care service. Maybe he just wants less grass cutters out there lol

I figured I would help you out a little for future reference. A blade bolt is nothing special in face I never order standard bolts myself. you can tell the grade of a bolt by looking at the head and buy one to replace it. As for torq yes they do have to be tightened at 150ft lbs but honestly most mechanics I have seen just do it with a impact(although I would fire anyone in my shop for doing that, I feel we should do things right when we charge for it).

JB1
06-05-2011, 12:01 AM
I always here the comment "I can't afford a backup", the way I see it, you can't afford to not have a backup if your gonna be in business.

rwaters
06-05-2011, 12:09 AM
I always here the comment "I can't afford a backup", the way I see it, you can't afford to not have a backup if your gonna be in business.

I also expect you will see a lot of dealers cutting the loaner programs as you see to many examples of abuse of it. I would not let that sway you on a purchase decision as who knows if the dealer will still be offering a loaner next year.

JB1
06-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I also expect you will see a lot of dealers cutting the loaner programs as you see to many examples of abuse of it. I would not let that sway you on a purchase decision as who knows if the dealer will still be offering a loaner next year.

I agree, the dealer I use has told me some horror stories, I don't know if I would have a loaner program if it was me with all the abuse.

knox gsl
06-05-2011, 12:20 AM
I agree, the dealer I use has told me some horror stories, I don't know if I would have a loaner program if it was me with all the abuse.

How bad can the abuse be in a couple of days?

JB1
06-05-2011, 12:22 AM

broken blade bolts, bent blades for starters.

fivestarlandscapes
06-05-2011, 12:26 AM
You cant afford to be taking your machine to the dealer being that small of an operation. You should be fixing everything yourself, carrying spare belts, nut/bolt assortment, tire plug kit, blades, etc. I would never think of bringing anything to a dealer at $90 an hour. This is real simple stuff to fix, no computer diagnostics needed. If you cannot afford to have a backup mower, you certainly cannot afford to be taking your machine to the dealer for a bolt. Set yourself up with spare parts and tools.

rwaters
06-05-2011, 11:06 AM

I have seen as much as bent decks, and completely submerging the mower in water. And seen posts in this message board of things as far as dumping the mower in the ocean from a commercial cutter. Remember your dealer has to pay for all of that. We only offer loaners to guys that take care of the equipment and bought it from us.

mowerbrad
06-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I have seen as much as bent decks, and completely submerging the mower in water. And seen posts in this message board of things as far as dumping the mower in the ocean from a commercial cutter. Remember your dealer has to pay for all of that. We only offer loaners to guys that take care of the equipment and bought it from us.

My dealer offers free loaner mowers for any warranty work that needs to be done or if you break down and have participated in a particular service program they offer over the winter. Otherwise if you need a loaner mower it is somewhere around $90/day.

I have seen some of the machines that come into my dealer, they aren't well taken care of. When I talked to the service manager over there he was saying how so many of the lco's bring in their mowers for service and really haven't taken care of the machine at all. There things bent, scratched, not greased, dirty, etc.

Everytime I get a demo mower, I try to clean it up before I return it, so it looks better when I give it back than when I picked it up.

ProStreetCamaro
06-05-2011, 12:12 PM
1-2 days is good but they should have loaners or demos for commercial clients.
Posted via Mobile Device

No dealers around here have demo's let alone loaners for anybody other than John Deere. That is why I am going with a Z900 on my next purchase. Around here you better have back up mowers or you are screwed. 1 to 2 week turn around for mowers you bought from them that are under warranty or 1 month+ for non warranty or for mowers not purchased from the dealer is the norm around here. We have so many commercial cutters in the area both our big dealers have entire parking lots lined up with mowers waiting to be repaired.

PROCUT1
06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Ive ranted about dealers for years. The distributors give them dedicated territories, exclusive warranty rights and the next closest dealer is usually quite a distance away or just as bad.

With those conditions, they have the luxury of having you "leave it and wait"

There is no alternative.

Suppose it rains for 3 days and youre behind mowing and your customers are calling.....
Tell me the next few days you dont have some anxiety? Im sure youre starting earlier, mowing until dark, working days off, whatever you have to do to catch up.

Why? Because everyday that goes by youre worried if you dont get to their lawn, they will call someone else.

NOT DEALERS.

Im sure guys will pop up with exceptions.

But in over 10 years in the business, Ive never seen a dealer open early, close late, have mechanics there on a weekend, or make any sort of effort to catch up.

They have the parking lot full of mowers, guys calling, and they could not care less.
5:00 the doors get closed, and another day goes by.

Ill bet none of the dealers that have a month backlog on repairs have a sign outside that says "NOW HIRING, MECHANIC DESPERATELY NEEDED"

I look at some shops and wonder how the heck theyre not working almost 24/7 to try to catch up. Id be catching a nap on the couch and working all night almost in a panic if I had customers waiting a month.

But enough people will wait a month.

underPSI
06-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I bought my mower the beginning of last season and it has only been to the shop three times.

And that's not considered a lot to you? I would be pissed if my mower had to go in for repair three times in one and a half seasons. My Ferris hasn't gone in for repair once in the four years I've owned it nor did my previous Toro in the seven years I owned it. Maybe you also need to evaluate the way you maintain your equipment.

FLAhaulboy
06-05-2011, 02:15 PM
"Yes I understand 1-2 day turn around is good but I am looking for something better."

You'll never find a better turnaround under two days dude! The prob does not lie with the Hustler dealer but with you. You need a back up mower or learn how to fix the Hustler yourself but please don't whine about a dealer not caving into your whiny demands when it isn't the dealers fault.

whosedog
06-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Money talks,I've walked into a dealer and been told we will get to it tomorrow,I told them I need it now (no backup and my help waiting for me to get it fixed).So I said here's an extra $50 to whoever fixes it first. They jumped up from break time and scrambled,got my mower back in 30 minutes. Now when I walk in I get immediate attention.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-05-2011, 02:39 PM
So you depend on One Mower and when it's down your out of business. Problem is not your dealer its your set up. You need a back up mower asap and if it was me id want a back up truck as well but that's another item your learn someday. You are still in the honeymoon phase on that mower wait till something real breaks hydro pumps, wheel motors, the head gasket. And all of a sudden those 2 day delays will look sweet to you. You can't work if your equipment is broken and it always finds a way to break so you need back up equipment.

kgcs
06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
And that's not considered a lot to you? I would be pissed if my mower had to go in for repair three times in one and a half seasons. My Ferris hasn't gone in for repair once in the four years I've owned it nor did my previous Toro in the seven years I owned it. Maybe you also need to evaluate the way you maintain your equipment.

Well the first day I got it, a belt came off. This was my first mower, so I was unsure how to fix it. The second time was when a weld separated. The third time, which is this time, was when the the bolt and clutch assembly came off. The first one really should not even count because I should of known how to fix it but did not at the time. The second was when I hit a rock. The third, well I am not sure really how that happen. But yes, I do not think those three things are alot.

kgcs
06-05-2011, 02:42 PM
So you depend on One Mower and when it's down your out of business. Problem is not your dealer its your set up. You need a back up mower asap and if it was me id want a back up truck as well but that's another item your learn someday. You are still in the honeymoon phase on that mower wait till something real breaks hydro pumps, wheel motors, the head gasket. And all of a sudden those 2 day delays will look sweet to you. You can't work if your equipment is broken and it always finds a way to break so you need back up equipment.

I understand what you are saying about back up equipment and I completely agree. I am just not in a position to be buying back-up equipment.

kgcs
06-05-2011, 02:44 PM
"Yes I understand 1-2 day turn around is good but I am looking for something better."

You'll never find a better turnaround under two days dude! The prob does not lie with the Hustler dealer but with you. You need a back up mower or learn how to fix the Hustler yourself but please don't whine about a dealer not caving into your whiny demands when it isn't the dealers fault.

After listening to yall talk about turn around times, I now understand that I have a good turn around time. And you are correct it is not the dealers fault my mower broke and it takes two days to fix it, but it is there fault that they did not at least do a quick inspection to see if it would require any new parts and if it did go ahead and order them.

rwaters
06-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Ill bet none of the dealers that have a month backlog on repairs have a sign outside that says "NOW HIRING, MECHANIC DESPERATELY NEEDED"

The reason I do not have a sign that says now hiring is I would not want a someone who does not know what they are doing working on my customers equipment. Also to keep them around year round would take more then tripling our labor rate. I am sure other dealers have the same delema. 90% of our work comes in at the same time we do the best we can, and yes some of us do work overtime and weekends I in fact am taking a lunch break at work today trying to keep everything withing a week behind.

rwaters
06-05-2011, 02:54 PM
After listening to yall talk about turn around times, I now understand that I have a good turn around time. And you are correct it is not the dealers fault my mower broke and it takes two days to fix it, but it is there fault that they did not at least do a quick inspection to see if it would require any new parts and if it did go ahead and order them.

I agree with you that was a mistake but the question I propose is will you get better service at another dealership? I suggest complaining a little to the manager about the fact you think they should have looked at it but jumping ship might not be in your best interest. You will hear of a lot worse out and sometimes people do not keep promises they make when you buy new equipment.

ecurbthims
06-05-2011, 03:03 PM
I would think bitching to the service manager could possibly get your equipment put in the regular repair order instead of jumping the line like you are already doing.I worked in enough garages and dealerships that I have seen this done many times to countless pain in the ass customers .

Kelly's Landscaping
06-05-2011, 03:05 PM
This is my last 2 weeks give you an idea what repairs can pop up. Our 12 foot trailer the tire wear became to great so we had to replace them went down talked to our guy he ordered them. So we brought the tires in the next day and he mounted them then we brought them home and bolted them on problem fixed.

Next 44" lazer snapped throttle cable on a Saturday we bent what was left around the lever and limped through the weekend. I called the dealer that night let him know he put one aside to pick up which we did and installed it our selves the next week problem fixed.

Crew 2 was having weed wacker issues we have been planing an up grade for a few months so I called the dealer same time with the cable and said have 3 shin 282s ready to go when I stop by so they were prepped was in and out in 30 mins problem fixed.

Next 60" lazer trac vac engine threw a valve or something drove home swapped units and bolted on our spare cost me an hour and dropped off the broken one at the dealer when I picked up the cable. Will get it back in a week or so but managed to keep the inconvenience to a bare minimum.

Next 52" lazer choke on the track vac stopped worked I swapped the carburetor from a unit in the grave yard. I then also found some welds that had broken on the barrel ring at the base and banged them back in to position and welded them all in shop problem fixed.

Next 60" lazer stress cracks on engine platform of trac vac Again more welding done by me in shop also fixed a support to the unit.

This Saturday check engine light on out ram 3500 called mechanic set up appointment for Monday and the ram 1500 will have to do our fert rounds for the next 2 days.

That's just 2 weeks but you get the idea you need to be self reliant I can not fix everything but I can weld and I can diagnose my own problems and make the appropriate judgement calls. That didn't even include 2 employees calling in the entire week 2 weeks ago and the one that came back did a no show this Friday and Saturday so you see its one fire after another to put out.

kgcs
06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
I agree with you that was a mistake but the question I propose is will you get better service at another dealership? I suggest complaining a little to the manager about the fact you think they should have looked at it but jumping ship might not be in your best interest. You will hear of a lot worse out and sometimes people do not keep promises they make when you buy new equipment.

You are probably right. I will probably just stick with the dealership. The main reason is I am used to Hustler and Echo equipment and there the only ones in town who sell them. I think I was just making decision when I was mad and did not fully think about it.

THG
06-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Maybe this is just based on the area you live in but in my area, All dealers that I work with will provide a loaner to the original purchaser of the mower. This applies to large companies and home owners who buy commercial grade equipment. Most of them use that as a selling point to buy from them which I guess is the reason that most of them offer this service.

PROCUT1
06-05-2011, 04:14 PM
1-2 days is "good" compared to a month that I was always offered.

I never understood it, and yes, I spent tens of thousands of dollars there. And I still sat behind a homeowners murray.

They just show no anxiety, no rush, no nothing.

I had 8 ztrs, 6wb, and dozens of pieces of handheld equipment running everyday.

Why when something broke, could my foreman fix it in minutes no matter what happened and this was from a service truck on the side of the road.

He could change an entire engine on a trailer in front of a customers house before the guys finished the 10 houses on that street.

If you know what youre doing, have the right tools (organized so you can find them) and have the parts in stock, there is NOTHING on a lawnmower that takes long to fix.

So the whole "dont have a few minutes to do it on the spot" is bs in my book.

Will P.C.
06-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Procut 1 hits the nail on the head about dealers. They only have 2 mechanics or even 1 at some of these places. I am sure at 5 01 the guys are at the nearest Quik Trip buying a 6 pack.

My JD dealer is the only place that will offer a loaner and he is still 45 minutes away. They have mowers that need a service before being sold at HD, mowers that need repair from HO who bought from HD, mowers from HO, Equipment from Golf Courses and Farms, Commercial equipment, etc.

Guys think that since they spent 12 grand with the dealer that it should make them a special flower. Some guys are spending 100 grand+

PROCUT1
06-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Its not even a matter of them being busy.
I just cant understand the lack of panic when they are a month behind.

How can someone be that far behind, and 5:01 the lights are off and they dont give a rats tail till the next day?

RTR Landscaping
06-05-2011, 07:11 PM
1 or 2 days is an excellent turn around for this time of year. Everyone wants their mower fixed immediatley and a dealer can only do so much. My dealer concentrates on the LCO market and understands that down time costs money. It's always good to have a back up mower available for situations like this. Most dealers are eager to help as that's how they make their money, so 1 or 2 days seems reasonable.

Hawkshot99
06-05-2011, 07:53 PM
you are correct it is not the dealers fault my mower broke and it takes two days to fix it, but it is there fault that they did not at least do a quick inspection to see if it would require any new parts and if it did go ahead and order them.

But you wouldnt be happy either when they keep stopping work on your mower to inspect and order parts for mowers that came in while they were working on yours. To take a look they may have to pull whats in the shop out, bring yours in and then swap them again.

rwaters
06-05-2011, 09:12 PM
1-2 days is "good" compared to a month that I was always offered.

I never understood it, and yes, I spent tens of thousands of dollars there. And I still sat behind a homeowners murray.

They just show no anxiety, no rush, no nothing.

I had 8 ztrs, 6wb, and dozens of pieces of handheld equipment running everyday.

Why when something broke, could my foreman fix it in minutes no matter what happened and this was from a service truck on the side of the road.

He could change an entire engine on a trailer in front of a customers house before the guys finished the 10 houses on that street.

If you know what youre doing, have the right tools (organized so you can find them) and have the parts in stock, there is NOTHING on a lawnmower that takes long to fix.

So the whole "dont have a few minutes to do it on the spot" is bs in my book.

I agree with you on the fact that your dealer should take in consideration that you bought a commercial mower from them and you spend a lot of money with them but expecting them to be waiting for you parts ready and lift empty to fix your mower is asking to much. and trust me you do have things that take a while to figure out, not everyday but it does happen.

PROCUT1
06-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Im not asking them to part the heavens.

I know there is a limit to what they can do, and they cant do everything at once.

Its the simple fact that they dont make any extra effort regardless of how busy they are. And I dont even blame them, most do not have a lot of competition out there trying to take their business. If they did, they would lose a lot.

You know if it rains and your customers lawn gets a foot tall, that you better hustle and get it done. if it means working late, weekends whatever.

Because if you tell them "you have to wait till I get to it" they are going to call someone else who will gladly run right over there and mow it so that they get a new weekly customer out of it. Other lawn guys will be mowing lawns next door to your customer and knocking on their door to see if they want theirs done too since you didnt show up.

You are hauling butt and trying to catch up and losing sleep about it.

At least I was in the business.

But the dealer isnt. He could work faster, he could work later, he could have more parts in stock, but HE DOESNT HAVE TO. Youre not going somewhere else. Where are you gonna go when there are only a couple other dealers in the area and they are just as bad.

Let someone open a repair shop down the street with a huge parts stock, later hours, and make a real effort to get people in and out and see what happens.

Look at auto repair shops.

Ive been to places that tie up one of my trucks for a week.
Ive been to others who always seem to get it in and out the same day.

When a truck breaks, I call the place that gets me in and out quick. Both shops are good mechanics. Both do the job right. Both are nice to deal with. And the week long shop is a lot less busy than the same day shop. But somehow, I dont know how, they get me in and out.

You dont have that option yet with mowers.,

mowerbrad
06-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Let me give you an example of what I have gone through with dealers...

A couple years ago we had a new repair shop open up in town. I had done plenty of business with them since they first opened up shop. In the fall of 2009 my bob-cat ztr I had at the time had a hydro pump that started to leak. This leak couldn't have come at a worse time, leaves were falling and I was starting to get into clean-ups. So I take my machine to this shop (they had worked on it before) and told them what was wrong, they told me they'd find out what the problem was, let me know then fix it. Well a week or so goes by and I hadn't heard anything from them yet, so I stopped by the shop when I was in that area of town. They told me, "oh yeah, we just sent out the mower to have the pump rebuilt", they told me it wouldn't be too long before I get it back. I waited another week, still no mower...waited for a third week, still no mower...finally after the fourth week they finally had my mower ready. 28 days later I got my mower back and the whole month of October was pretty much over. To top it off, they told me the pump really didn't need to be rebuilt, they just thought it would be best to send it off to be rebuilt (without asking me first) and then stuck me with a $250 bill for repair that could have been done with a simple seal.

Now, my current John Deere dealer is way better. Last fall I was working on a Saturday to catch up with all the leaves falling. I get done with one lawn and then go next door to start doing the neighbor's lawn. Well after the first pass, the spindle assembly on the bagging system came apart. It was about 11:30am when I called my dealer, told them I would be by Monday with the blower system (since I couldn't make it before they closed at noon). They said they'd get me fixed up first thing when I came over in the morning. Sure enough, I walk in the door in the morning and meet with the service manager, he gets one of his guys working on the new spindle assembly and 15 minutes later I was walking out the door.

My John Deere dealer really knows how to keep their customers happy and keep us coming back.

THG
06-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Mowerbrad,
If the only dealer in my area that offered that service was John Deere then I would have all Deere equipment. In my area that service is standard with Scag, Wright and Toro with multiple dealers.

rwaters
06-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Im not asking them to part the heavens.

I know there is a limit to what they can do, and they cant do everything at once.

Its the simple fact that they dont make any extra effort regardless of how busy they are. And I dont even blame them, most do not have a lot of competition out there trying to take their business. If they did, they would lose a lot.

You know if it rains and your customers lawn gets a foot tall, that you better hustle and get it done. if it means working late, weekends whatever.

Because if you tell them "you have to wait till I get to it" they are going to call someone else who will gladly run right over there and mow it so that they get a new weekly customer out of it. Other lawn guys will be mowing lawns next door to your customer and knocking on their door to see if they want theirs done too since you didnt show up.

You are hauling butt and trying to catch up and losing sleep about it.

At least I was in the business.

But the dealer isnt. He could work faster, he could work later, he could have more parts in stock, but HE DOESNT HAVE TO. Youre not going somewhere else. Where are you gonna go when there are only a couple other dealers in the area and they are just as bad.

Let someone open a repair shop down the street with a huge parts stock, later hours, and make a real effort to get people in and out and see what happens.

Look at auto repair shops.

Ive been to places that tie up one of my trucks for a week.
Ive been to others who always seem to get it in and out the same day.

When a truck breaks, I call the place that gets me in and out quick. Both shops are good mechanics. Both do the job right. Both are nice to deal with. And the week long shop is a lot less busy than the same day shop. But somehow, I dont know how, they get me in and out.

You dont have that option yet with mowers.,

Auto shops have breakdowns spread out threw out the year and can hire staff accordingly mower shops have breakdowns in 2 months and can not afford to hire accordingly. Most of us do the best we can, but it is hard to get qualified mechanics to work the kind of hours your suggesting. Personally I am just now leaving work and all of my posts today were during breaks I have taken as I worked all day to catch up. But I highly doubt my customers even know I am here as the front door is locked so I can work. As for this mythical shop with plenty of mechanics and all of the parts in stock. I have never seen it though someday I hope it is me, but I doubt I could afford to have the perfect shop. Look I know every shop has a lot of improvement but we are not all bad people. And some of us try to do a good job.

rwaters
06-05-2011, 11:49 PM

A couple years ago we had a new repair shop open up in town. I had done plenty of business with them since they first opened up shop. In the fall of 2009 my bob-cat ztr I had at the time had a hydro pump that started to leak. This leak couldn't have come at a worse time, leaves were falling and I was starting to get into clean-ups. So I take my machine to this shop (they had worked on it before) and told them what was wrong, they told me they'd find out what the problem was, let me know then fix it. Well a week or so goes by and I hadn't heard anything from them yet, so I stopped by the shop when I was in that area of town. They told me, "oh yeah, we just sent out the mower to have the pump rebuilt", they told me it wouldn't be too long before I get it back. I waited another week, still no mower...waited for a third week, still no mower...finally after the fourth week they finally had my mower ready. 28 days later I got my mower back and the whole month of October was pretty much over. To top it off, they told me the pump really didn't need to be rebuilt, they just thought it would be best to send it off to be rebuilt (without asking me first) and then stuck me with a $250 bill for repair that could have been done with a simple seal.

You have an example of someone who opened up without being qualified to fix anything. At best they should have told you they were not qualified to work on your mower. But in my opinion they should not have been allowed to sell bobcat.

Will P.C.
06-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Procut1,
You said it yourself. They don't have to stay open, strive to keep you happy, stock all types of parts, etc. I still think that a dealer that did these things would make a better income, but I guess they make enough being sub par.

They have their dedicated brands, their territory, which forces buyers to use them.

mowerbrad
06-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Mowerbrad,
If the only dealer in my area that offered that service was John Deere then I would have all Deere equipment. In my area that service is standard with Scag, Wright and Toro with multiple dealers.

We do have a couple good dealers within an hour of my house; John Deere, Toro, Ferris, Wright. I can't speak for the scag, hustler or exmark dealers as I have never dealt with them.

LawnCareNoobie
06-06-2011, 12:19 AM

Now, my current John Deere dealer is way better. Last fall I was working on a Saturday to catch up with all the leaves falling. I get done with one lawn and then go next door to start doing the neighbor's lawn. Well after the first pass, the spindle assembly on the bagging system came apart. It was about 11:30am when I called my dealer, told them I would be by Monday with the blower system (since I couldn't make it before they closed at noon). They said they'd get me fixed up first thing when I came over in the morning. Sure enough, I walk in the door in the morning and meet with the service manager, he gets one of his guys working on the new spindle assembly and 15 minutes later I was walking out the door.

My John Deere dealer really knows how to keep their customers happy and keep us coming back.

I've had a similar experience with my local JD dealer as well. They actually have several locations in my area of the state and have pretty good customer service. . I have a 757 where the blades weren't engaging all the time when you pulled the switch. I figured it was something electrical (a lot of mowing in wet weather this spring). Me or my father could of probably fixed the problem ourselves but we just didn't have time to go through and figure it out. Called up the dealer on a Saturday morning and they said to bring it in. So we did. It was a simple fix (new switch) and we had it back that same morning. Our dealer will give us a loaner if needed. If it was anything where it was going to take a couple days we would of been given a demo or used unit so we don't get far behind. Fortunately, I've never had a situation where I had to bring in a mower for a big fix but it's nice to know just in case. In fact that was the first time I had to bring in any of the three mowers I have for any kind of work.

mowerbrad
06-06-2011, 12:27 AM
You have an example of someone who opened up without being qualified to fix anything. At best they should have told you they were not qualified to work on your mower. But in my opinion they should not have been allowed to sell bobcat.

This particular shop was a general mower repair shop, they accepted any brands, didn't actually sell bob-cat, actually the sold DC mowers (not going to get into that whole experience). I had no idea that they couldn't do the repair, they just sent it off for something that shouldn't have been done. I spent $250 when I should have just spent $50-$75 for a new seal to be put in.

That particular incident pretty much ended them getting any future business from me. Lots of things lead up to that, but that 4 week repair was just the last straw.

TheOctagon
06-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Procut1,
You said it yourself. They don't have to stay open, strive to keep you happy, stock all types of parts, etc. I still think that a dealer that did these things would make a better income, but I guess they make enough being sub par.

They have their dedicated brands, their territory, which forces buyers to use them.

I agree that some places have lost their way somewhat when it comes to service. Sometimes i will admit the drive just isnt there. Anyone who buys a machine from me goes to the front of the list as much as can be done. That being said I am the owner just like most of you are the owners of your company. It is easy for us to say Yes get it done however possible. Work later, stock more, bend over backwards to keep your customers. The employees on the other hand dont have the vested interest in the company that the owner does. They dont care if they make 10 to 15 more dollars before taxes for an extra hour of stressfully busting their hump. I worked at a shop once that had different labor rates for weekday, saturday, sunday, and afterhours. How many would be willing to pay extra for this service?

You are not chained down to that dealer. I have seen many many posts on here about how someone will not buy a certain brand because of the dealer support. Even though they like that brand more. Top mower mfg's just like top auto mfg's build pretty similar products, small differences but mostly similar. That is why i try my best to make people happy with what i sell as well as my service.

Auto shops have it much easier than we do as small engine repair shops, we do not have a napa or auto zone fully stocked w/ parts to head up to whenever we need something. If we need it we have to stock it ourselves. Essentially we are the parts store, repair shop and rental shop all tied into one. All of this costs and believe me it costs more than you could imagine. Just the other day i had to drive over an hour to install a key switch. 2 minute job 2 hours drive time. Warranty work but believe me the mower mfg does not pay for warranty drive time. I did it because i value my customers. That also meant that for 2 hours i didnt get any work done at the shop.

Dont accuse your shop of working an 8 to 5 40 hour work week unless you know it to be true. If that is the case then i say you talk to them about possibly working on your machine after hours or during non business hours to get it done at a higher labor rate. They have to pay the extra so its only fair that you do too.

I am not trying to start a fight or anything just sticking up for the other side of the fence where its not as perfect as you all make it seem.

PROCUT1
06-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Auto shops have breakdowns spread out threw out the year and can hire staff accordingly mower shops have breakdowns in 2 months and can not afford to hire accordingly. Most of us do the best we can, but it is hard to get qualified mechanics to work the kind of hours your suggesting. Personally I am just now leaving work and all of my posts today were during breaks I have taken as I worked all day to catch up. But I highly doubt my customers even know I am here as the front door is locked so I can work. As for this mythical shop with plenty of mechanics and all of the parts in stock. I have never seen it though someday I hope it is me, but I doubt I could afford to have the perfect shop. Look I know every shop has a lot of improvement but we are not all bad people. And some of us try to do a good job.

I am sure there are good repair shops out there. I have no idea how you run your shop, so please dont take anything I say personally.

Unfortunately I have never dealt with a mower shop that I would run the same way If I owned it.

When you carry one brand of mowers, and one brand of handhelds, there is no excuse for you not to have dam near every part for every machine in stock.

Why as a contractor could I maintain that inventory?
It was an extremely rare event for me to have to order a part.

I could never figure it out.

I knew with 12 mowers running, at least a couple times a month a PTO switch would go. So I kept 5 on the shelf. When I got down to 2, I ordered 5 more.

I knew a clutch would go every couple months. So I kept 2 on the shelf. When I used one, I ordered another

Tires were a constant thing. I kept new tires on rims ready to go. At least a full set for each type of machine.
Magnetos would go. I kept those

I had one of each type of spindle even though those never wore out, but on occasion someone would try to mow a railroad track and detonate one.

Wheel bearings, belts, a seat, deck springs, hydro pump, wheel motor, brake shoes. All stuff I had on the shelf.

Unless it was a blown engine, my night mechanic always had the machine up and running.

When I had to order a part, I got it NEXT DAY.

Why did it take my dealer a week to get that same part for double the money?

Its things like that I dont understand.

I can replace a ztr engine in 45 minutes. A walkbehind engine in 30. I can change a spindle in 10 minutes. Electrical problems are simple with nothing more than a test light.

I can do that because I need that machine back on the road making money right away. I have changed engines on a trailer in the field before while my guys were taking their lunch break.

They just dont care.

Pull the machine in. Look it over. Wait until next wednesday when they place their parts order. order the part. wait for delivery. then wait for another opening in the shop. push it in. almost got it done but its 5:00 on friday. push it outside till monday. push it back in on monday. finish the repair. then charge the customer for all that hard work.

That was the dealer.

In my case.

Employee radios there is a machine problem.

Grab service truck with all tools at my fingertips and head to jobsite.
Diagnose problem.
Grab the part from the stock on the truck.
Know exactly what tools I need, and what sizes.
Have everything within reach, air tools, battery tools....
Change part.
And back on the road 15 mins later.

But I do confess, if the engine was blown. That I had to order. So the machine would be down for 24 hours.

PROCUT1
06-06-2011, 01:07 AM
I agree that some places have lost their way somewhat when it comes to service. Sometimes i will admit the drive just isnt there. Anyone who buys a machine from me goes to the front of the list as much as can be done. That being said I am the owner just like most of you are the owners of your company. It is easy for us to say Yes get it done however possible. Work later, stock more, bend over backwards to keep your customers. The employees on the other hand dont have the vested interest in the company that the owner does. They dont care if they make 10 to 15 more dollars before taxes for an extra hour of stressfully busting their hump. I worked at a shop once that had different labor rates for weekday, saturday, sunday, and afterhours. How many would be willing to pay extra for this service?

You are not chained down to that dealer. I have seen many many posts on here about how someone will not buy a certain brand because of the dealer support. Even though they like that brand more. Top mower mfg's just like top auto mfg's build pretty similar products, small differences but mostly similar. That is why i try my best to make people happy with what i sell as well as my service.

Auto shops have it much easier than we do as small engine repair shops, we do not have a napa or auto zone fully stocked w/ parts to head up to whenever we need something. If we need it we have to stock it ourselves. Essentially we are the parts store, repair shop and rental shop all tied into one. All of this costs and believe me it costs more than you could imagine. Just the other day i had to drive over an hour to install a key switch. 2 minute job 2 hours drive time. Warranty work but believe me the mower mfg does not pay for warranty drive time. I did it because i value my customers. That also meant that for 2 hours i didnt get any work done at the shop.

Dont accuse your shop of working an 8 to 5 40 hour work week unless you know it to be true. If that is the case then i say you talk to them about possibly working on your machine after hours or during non business hours to get it done at a higher labor rate. They have to pay the extra so its only fair that you do too.

I am not trying to start a fight or anything just sticking up for the other side of the fence where its not as perfect as you all make it seem.

I know there is a lot to it and some are better than others.

Its like this.
Get in a checkout line thats a mile long.

The clerk acknowledges you and she is breaking a sweat whipping items across that scanner. Shes nice to everyone in line, and clearly working as fast as she can.

Somehow that long line just doesnt seem as bad as when you go to walmart, get on that same line, and the clerk is going so slow you think shes sleeping, chatting with other employees , and not making the slightest effort to step it up no matter how many people are in line.

PROCUT1
06-06-2011, 01:09 AM
To the dealers on here.

Im not suggesting how you should run your business.

im suggesting how someone should run their business if they open up down the street from you.

If youre the exception. Then someone running their shop like I am suggesting would not worry you in the slightest

Sammy
06-06-2011, 03:33 AM
The service sounds okay......The fact that he is also running a lawn service would be enough for me to go elsewhere !

kgcs
06-06-2011, 08:08 AM
The service sounds okay......The fact that he is also running a lawn service would be enough for me to go elsewhere !

I thought the same thing to when I first bought my mower. The lady says that it was her husband that ran the lawn business not her. But now her husband is the mechanic for the dealership??? Go figure

rwaters
06-06-2011, 08:42 AM
To the dealers on here.

Im not suggesting how you should run your business.

im suggesting how someone should run their business if they open up down the street from you.

If youre the exception. Then someone running their shop like I am suggesting would not worry you in the slightest

I understand your suggestions I am just suggesting that nobody has enough money to run such a shop, I am also suggesting that while I hope to get to that point I am not sure I will as I have not figured out how to make it profitable to do that.

My shop has been open for 20 years, I am the 2nd generation, we have well over $250,000 in parts inventory and still every week we have more then 3 parts orders, rarely for a mower I sold but it does happen. I think part of the problem is you have more brands of mowers then you do cars but my parts section is running out of space and I have over 20,000 sf of building space. I also have the luxury of a discount online store that helps me move more product allowing me to keep more in stock.

The business model is just not here for lawn and garden to be profitable as well as run a quick service department right now. I agree the shops that figure it out will do really well but so far nobody that I know of has accomplished it. As shop owners we are not trying to argue with you we agree that you should get better service but knowing what the other side of the coin is should help you negotiate better service as well as understand where the other side is coming from.

rwaters
06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I thought the same thing to when I first bought my mower. The lady says that it was her husband that ran the lawn business not her. But now her husband is the mechanic for the dealership??? Go figure

that is a little dishonest as I highly doubt the wife wanted to open up a lawnmower repair shop.... Normally it is the mechanic that wants to open up a lawnmower shop. But on the flip side most newer shops started out as commercial cutters, it could be he has not turned loose of it as it is more profitable then the shop for him. I think you will see more and more shops dabble in commercial cutting as we get asked all the time to do it, and with online sales taking the market the guys that are not online will start to look strongly at that.

SLMGT
06-06-2011, 11:57 PM
First of all a 42" Hustler Sport is not a commercial mower. You will be seeing a lot of mechanic time with this mower. I would not go with anything but a super Z in the hustler line. 1 to 2 days is pretty good turn time this time of year. Strive to save up and buy a better mower and use the sport as a back up.

SNAPPER MAN
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

dtc0207
06-07-2011, 08:38 PM
If your truck was to break down today and you take it to the dealer how long is the wait?? Around here a day or two
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Money talks,I've walked into a dealer and been told we will get to it tomorrow,I told them I need it now (no backup and my help waiting for me to get it fixed).So I said here's an extra $50 to whoever fixes it first. They jumped up from break time and scrambled,got my mower back in 30 minutes. Now when I walk in I get immediate attention.

aaaahhhhhhhaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! With me its not so much the dealer as it is the mechanic. Make friend with mechanic, tip well, and remember him @ Christmas.

kgcs
06-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I now have an update on what is going on. The part finally came in today and they realized they do not have a tool to put it on with!!!!! They are a dealership for hustler, shouldn't they have the tools to fix hustler mowers!?!?! So now they are looking for a place to buy the tool from. And on top of that, they told me when I brought it in, it would be covered under warranty. Now they are telling me that there is no way that hustler would honor that under warranty. The next hustler mower I buy will be a hustler but not from this dealer!!!

ProStreetCamaro
06-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I now have an update on what is going on. The part finally came in today and they realized they do not have a tool to put it on with!!!!! They are a dealership for hustler, shouldn't they have the tools to fix hustler mowers!?!?! So now they are looking for a place to buy the tool from. And on top of that, they told me when I brought it in, it would be covered under warranty. Now they are telling me that there is no way that hustler would honor that under warranty. The next hustler mower I buy will be a hustler but not from this dealer!!!

They dont have a socket and a ratchet? Unless hustler has some very strange way of bolting the clutch to the engine shaft all it is is a single bolt with a washer.

kgcs
06-08-2011, 04:52 PM
They dont have a socket and a ratchet? Unless hustler has some very strange way of bolting the clutch to the engine shaft all it is is a single bolt with a washer.

They state that it has to be torqued right and they don't have the tool for it. They also said the tool is going to cost $80 but they are not going to charge me for it?!?! Why would you charge me for a tool you don't have, isn't your job to have the tools?? This is really pissing me off!

JB1
06-08-2011, 04:53 PM

are they using vaseline ?

kgcs
06-08-2011, 05:24 PM
What is vaseline?
Posted via Mobile Device

rcslawncare
06-08-2011, 05:50 PM
are they using vaseline ?

haha, nice

rwaters
06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
They state that it has to be torqued right and they don't have the tool for it. They also said the tool is going to cost $80 but they are not going to charge me for it?!?! Why would you charge me for a tool you don't have, isn't your job to have the tools?? This is really pissing me off!

I am officially embarrassed for hustler that they would even except a dealer without a torq wrench. But on another note at least they could read instructions, some guys just use an impact.:hammerhead: I would find another dealer this guy sounds like a shade-tree mechanic might be an upgrade. Who is this shop?

mowerbrad
06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
How wouldn't hustler cover this under warranty? My Deere just blew a sidewall on a rear tire and my dealer replaced the tire under warranty.

I'd be going to a different dealer!