PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with crews...

solomower
06-04-2011, 07:26 PM
For those of you with crews, how do you know if your crew is mowing "One-time" lawns or not? Just the honor system? They're not aloud? Trust the crew leader? Also, what if a customer asks for service and they want a quote, do you take a ride down??

Thanks

stan the man
06-04-2011, 07:59 PM
i ride around and check on the lawns after the day is over

TJLANDS
06-04-2011, 08:08 PM
i ride around and check on the lawns after the day is over

Really? Seems like a waste of time and money.

My crews would just text me if someone needed a quote. It would be tough for my crews to mow on the side with the trucks and equipment but anything is possible. I dont check their work everyday.
If I get a complaint I will check it out. Other than that they know they would lose their job, that is enough to keep them honest.
I also give them a bonus for every house they are responsible for signing. Not much but something.

hackitdown
06-04-2011, 09:08 PM
For those of you with crews, how do you know if your crew is mowing "One-time" lawns or not? Just the honor system? They're not aloud? Trust the crew leader? Also, what if a customer asks for service and they want a quote, do you take a ride down??

Thanks

It is like asking how do you know if your wife is cheating on you. You don't.

grassman177
06-04-2011, 09:15 PM
It never last s long, the customer will call eventually wns they will nger caught.best way is gps traking
Posted via Mobile Device

McVey Landscape
06-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Well if they were not getting the job done I would be getting a call. If someone wants a quote, they are told to contact the office and a guy(me) would be out shortly.

solomower
06-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm not talking about running an entire business on the side. Just mowing the old lady that says " hey can you mow my lawn, my husband is out of town"? How do you know your not doing those?
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
06-04-2011, 09:26 PM
I suppose you dont.

McVey Landscape
06-04-2011, 09:29 PM
We normally don't just mow once. What I do in this case is grab the equipment and bust it out myself, this way I can speak with them offer other services, give them some ideas on scapes etc... In some cases after we were done they called back to set up a weekly service or some type of scape.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-04-2011, 10:21 PM
My guys have to log every stop. Time in, time out any problems that need to be addressed. If someone stops them and asks for a quote, they just give the person one of my card and gets their name and number. They then call me and I immediately call that possible customer. I will tell you, I can look at the log sheet at the end of the day and can tell if the job was done correctly or not, just based on the times. Anything in question gets a walk through that evening. If anything is not completed, it will be brought to their attention the next morning. When you have been in the business a while, you can walk a property and know how long it will take before you ever start the mower.
Oh, by the way, if the foreman doesn't make sure the property is done right, he looses his bonus for the week. That's right, one job that is not completed properly in a week, and the bonus is gone. It's amazing how a $50 bonus will keep them on track.

James

Patriot Services
06-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Smart phone before and after pics sent upon completion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Puddle of Oil
06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
We had something similar like that happen before at my last employer. A customer talked to the supervisor and asked him to cut the lawn. The supervisor agreed however the other 3 guys on the crew didn't. So for a couple weeks the supervisor was getting paid by the customer to cut the lawn while using our boss's equipment. The other 3 guys just sat and watched him mow. They were to scared to tell anyone. Well of course one of the ops managers some how found out and fired the whole crew. Soon after that they put gps in the trucks.

93Chevy
06-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Wow...residentials must be a nightmare. Company I'm a supervisor for just does commercials...I'm only responsible for about 10 accounts per week on my route. It's nothing for one of the 3 managers to whom I'm responsible to drive by a couple of my accounts every week and make sure everything's being done to standard.

That would sure be tough to check on multiple crews doing dozens and dozens of resi lawns every week.

Will P.C.
06-04-2011, 11:54 PM
This is just part of the business. You will always have 'those' employees who will privataly/discreetly let the customer know that they can come by on the weekend and cut for cheaper.

Another scenario is the customer tells the crew leader he wants a sidewalk put it. The crew leader might 'neglect' to tell the boss and do it on his own time.

I have seen a few guys bold enough to even use there company's equipment.