PDA

View Full Version : Check this bid, see what you think

rider1000
10-14-2002, 06:37 PM
I have a homeowner's association that wants a price on installing rip rap stone around a retention pond. See if you think my price is in line - never have done this type of job before.

Pond is 1080 feet around, figure to put stone out six feet. 6'X1080'=6480 sq.ft. Stone covers 35sq.ft. per ton=185 tons. I can get stone for $12.75 per ton +40% mark up=17.75 per ton.
Stone - $3283.75
Equip. rental - 2 skidsteers - $700.00 (2 days)
Weed barrier - $444.00
Labor - $2000.00

Total job - $6427.75

Does this seem in line? Figure me plus one other guy should be able to do this in two days, does this seem close? Thanks in advance.

LawnLad
10-14-2002, 07:33 PM
What surrounds the pond? Will you have to fix any damage to surrounding landscape from the skids? Spot seeding, ruts, etc?

Also, $700 for the equipment... I dont' know your rental rates, but essentially you've got $175 per day (typical). What about the damage waiver? What about transportation to the job? Are you moving them or are they being delivered? If so, how much? Should you mark up this equipment cost to cover your administrative costs? I would think.

Will you have any of your trucks on the job? Charge for your trucks? Other equipment?

KenH
10-14-2002, 08:23 PM
One other thing...when you figure out the amount of stone, dont forget to take into account the depth. When you are assuming 6x1080, that is assuming the stone is laid out flat, which usually isnt the case. I know its rip rap, but some will be overlapping. I would bump up the amount of stone you need to be safe.

hosejockey2002
10-14-2002, 10:15 PM
How is the truck access? Rip rap doesn't spread from a truck very well, but it will make a huge difference in the amount of time it takes to move it if it is all dumped in one area or dumped in piles all around the retention pond. Also, is the area where the rip rap is to be placed flat or sloped? This sounds like a pretty major job for two guys.

steveair
10-14-2002, 10:39 PM
Hello,

Is there going to be any excavation involved? I find it hard to believe you are going to be able to just go there and just start dumping stone along the bank. Most the time, you need to bring in a excavator to help level out the banks a bit to lesson slopes.
Also, a mini-excavator may help speed up the spreading of the stone.......I don't know how well you will be able to spread rip-rap by hand, but I know I don't do it very efficiency. With the excavator, you could spread it and level it out to final grade in a 10th of the time as you would by hand.

I would not be afraid to overestimate your stone on this one.....you will find that is going to go down a lot heavier than expected for proper coverage/pitch.

I'm with the others on estimating for repairing damage also.....2 skidsteers carrying stone all day can get real messy. Also, are you going to be able to dump in a parking lot or have to dump next to the pond in the grass/dirt? It may be much faster to dump by the basin, but then you are going to have to do some repair. If you are dumping in a lot, and have to travel a distance, I would expect a lot of damage to the turf carrying that many loads, along with a bit of spillage that will be 'fun' picking up out of the grass.

Last of all, I would check with local authorities on making sure what you/they are proposing to do is legal......there are some funny regulations involved with retention basins.........maybe, maybe not, but it couldn't hurt to ask around to make sure that you can put stone around the basin to begin with.

steve

DaddyRabbit
10-17-2002, 07:58 AM
Rider, I have found that having a backhoe when doing rip rap always comes in handy for the reason that you can smooth the rock so to speak on the slopes face nearest the water and make it look much better as opposed to just letting gravity dictate the shape. Remember the 4in1 bucket as well, another must. You will be applying G-tech fabric as a weed blocker/errosion prevenative as well won't you? I would not do it w/out it for the reason being it will look so much better longer making your company name look better/longer as well. :D