PDA

View Full Version : kawasaki 29 dfi coolant missing

ktackett
06-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Has anyone had trouble with Kawasaki 29 DFI missing coolant? I am missing a little coolant everytime I run the motor, I took it to the dealer they told me that they pressure tested it and it was ok. They said there is a small gap around the cap neck to let air in so the engine can pull coolant in and they said the bouncing around is causing coolant to leak out there. I don't buy that!

SouthSide Cutter
06-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Has anyone had trouble with Kawasaki 29 DFI missing coolant? I am missing a little coolant everytime I run the motor, I took it to the dealer they told me that they pressure tested it and it was ok. They said there is a small gap around the cap neck to let air in so the engine can pull coolant in and they said the bouncing around is causing coolant to leak out there. I don't buy that!

If its leaking there you ought to be able to see it. Mine has close to 1000 hrs and never have added wtr.

brianslawncare
06-05-2011, 12:13 AM
my over flow bottle gets a little low every once in a while. i have a 27 kawi. never looked into it, just added when needed. must be the same problem you have.

topsites
06-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Have you tried visually inspecting the machine for leaks yourself?

djagusch
06-05-2011, 02:54 PM
My 27kawi (same motor basically) runs coolant approximately 2"s below the line on the overflow. I topped it off before and it always ends up being there. I found above the line doing steep slopes coolant would come out around the overflow cap.

If you can keep some in the overflow I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
06-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Its burning it. They know it. It needs new head gaskets and maybe new heads. Mine has been doing it for 1,200 hours and it runs fine. I need to add coolant about once every three days. About a cup and a half. If its under warranty stay on them. If its coming out of your pocket I would run it until it gets bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

ktackett
06-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I checked the engine I can't see any leaks, the only place is on the side of the bottle where it looks like something is leaked out. But I am not sure I didn't do it filling it up with more antifreeze. It could be burning it, they sweared up and down they pressure tested it. I need to call Cub and go to another dealer. I feel like i'm getting the run around. I called them once on another problem already!

ktackett
06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Oh one more thing it's been doing it since it was new and I only have 76 hours on it, for a motor that costs that much you would expect better!

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Mine did that 2 yrs ago. Found it to be the head gasket. Unfortunatly it was after the damage was done. Take the time to pull the heads and check. The gaskets are only around $25. A lot cheaper than a new motor.

James

If I can find the pics of it, I will post.

P.Services
06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
What did it end up doing to the motor?
Posted via Mobile Device

ktackett
06-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Please do post pictures I would love to see them! How many hours did it have when it started missing coolant?

jherety
06-06-2011, 12:54 AM
You might consider pulling the plugs to see if coolant is making its way into the combustion chamber.
Posted via Mobile Device

ktackett
06-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I dropped the mower at another Cub dealer last Friday, well he called me today to say that they did a good visual on it, pressure tested it, checked the oil and compression tested it. It all came back the same, nothing could be found. The tech said he would let the motor run for an hour and let it cool and check it. Well I call him today and he said I was right the coolant was down, he said they had been repairing engines for some time and had not seen this before. He said the next step is to call Kawasaki, I asked if he had seen anything coming out of the bottle. He said no, that the mower had not been moved much. Well at least they know there is something wrong now and not trying to say it's OK!

Grassman6
06-11-2011, 01:58 AM
I've had the same issue for years...on rough terrain you will lose a small amount down to about 1/3rd full in the overflow. Check carefully around the area below the overflow tube for residue. It dries quickly and if you have more than 1500 hrs on the engine go ahead and change the head gasket(s). You can usually smell the sweet aroma of antifreeze when the head gasket starts to leak. Royal purple antifreeze additive will help lower the temps also.

ktackett
08-27-2011, 08:10 PM
The dealer changed both head gaskets and checked the Antifreeze and it still going down, he also put a new kit for the recovery bottle with new hoses and seals. He brought my mower home and put more dye in the cooling system,he wants me too run it for 10 hours. Well with most of the grass dead it took a while before I could cut, i finally had enough grass to cut. He came out with a ultraviolet light and we pulled it in the pole barn and checked the motor, we found dye around the bottle and coming from the a small hole under the water pump. I pulled the oil dip stick and held the light there and sure enough it had a light yellow glow. The dealer is calling Kawasaki to see where we go next. I payed a lot more money to get this motor it's not give me this kind of trouble. I will never buy a liquid cooled engine again on a mower again, if Kawasaki does not make it right I will be done with them too!

dahammer
08-27-2011, 09:57 PM
The oil wasn't discolored, milky looking? I'd want them to put a new engine on at this point, as it sounds like you've been chasing this long enough and don't need the hassle of chasing down the source.

ktackett
08-28-2011, 05:52 AM
The oil wasn't milky at all, when he used the ultraviolet light it had a yellow tint to it. I don't get it on what's going on engine but your right I am going to press them hard for a new motor!