PDA

View Full Version : Competively pricing Aeration/Overseed on 28 unit 4 acre Condo Association

McClanahan73
06-05-2011, 02:40 AM
I am contracted for mowing and snow removal on listed property. They use a national company for fert/weed who is also bidding on the aeration/overseed. I have a good rapport with the associations head people, so being in the ball park price wise should be ok. Meaning going on the high side is ok by me.

Terrain is completely flat, with few obstacles. Turf is in good condition, as it runs adjacent to a golf course. I have one split drive aerator, so I will have to rent a machine to get it done effeciently. I have typically applied 3 to 5 lbs of seed per thousand square feet on other properties when overseeding.

With such a big property, and having many different units, I admit being a bit lost on where to price this. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If it helps at all, current mowing price is 260 per mow(2 guys) with a time of completion of 3.5 hours for mow/trim/blow Thanks...

hackitdown
06-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Is it actually 4 acres of turf, or is it a 4 acre property? The important question is how many sq/ft of grass. You say 3.5 hours to mow, but on what type of equipment? I might charge $750 to aerate, and $12 per 1000 sg/ft to seed at 3 lbs per.

This may be a job for a tow-behind or a Lawn Solutions stander style.

McClanahan73
06-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. (1) 54 inch ztr used for mowing. Yes it's almost 4 acres with initial measurement of 150k sq ft of actual turf. I'm leaning toward 140 per unit Aeration/seed. Also, I was a bit misleading, as there is two homes per unit, so actually there is only 14 buildings, with two units per building. That would total 70 dollars per household giving me an estimate of 1,960 for Aeration/Overseed + rental fee for 1 aerator.

hackitdown
06-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. (1) 54 inch ztr used for mowing. Yes it's almost 4 acres with initial measurement of 150k sq ft of actual turf. I'm leaning toward 140 per unit Aeration/seed. Also, I was a bit misleading, as there is two homes per unit, so actually there is only 14 buildings, with two units per building. That would total 70 dollars per household giving me an estimate of 1,960 for Aeration/Overseed + rental fee for 1 aerator.

At 3 lbs per 1000 sq/ft, you are looking at 450 lbs of seed. Around here, that would be $900 in seed cost. I'd be looking for more like $2500 total in my market.

lukemelo216
06-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Our typical aeration price is 290/acre. So on a job like that were i could send a few guys I probably be around 260/acre for them. Then overseeding and starter fertilizer Id do at like $260/acre as well. So more or less about $2100 for the job. But with that Id probably send about 3 guys there to do it so I would be in and out pretty quickly.

McClanahan73
06-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Update, as the company they have doing the chemical apps won with their bid of just under 1k. I'm not dissapointed as I had a gut feeling I would come in way too high with 2,125. It baffles me though, in how can they make much profit being the seed alone takes up a large portion of that quote. Oh well, back to mowing:)