PDA

View Full Version : Does it Bother You...

MOturkey
06-05-2011, 10:02 AM
When you lose a property for whatever reason, and the person now mowing does a crappy job? I'm not a full-service operation, I only mow, and many, in fact, most, of the places I mow are not what would be considered high-end by any criteria, but I still try to do as good a job as possible.

We've mowed a residence turned business for the past couple of seasons. The property is an older home on the main drag which was owned by a school teacher. She was meticulous with her lawn care, and had one of the prettiest yards in the town proper. She retired, remarried, and moved away, and donated the property to the local library which sold it at auction. One of my clients bought the property for his sister, who I went to school with a million years ago, to start an antique shop.

The north part of the lawn is pretty weedy, but the south has 3 large oaks, and a nice stand of grass which striped well. Couple that with edging along the sidewalk and curb in front, and the lawn really stood out. We never cut it less than 3 inches, usually 3 1/2, especially later in the season. Well, the lady retired this year, and bought an old mower and said she was going to do the mowing and save some money.

Now, I drive by, and she is cutting it at about 2 inches. One blade is either bent or the deck isn't level, producing that furrowed look. To top it off, her "striping" pattern looks like she turned a couple of snakes loose and followed them around the yard. Edging? Forget it. For the life of me, I can't understand how she can think this actually looks nice, but apparently she does. We mow the business directly across the street, and drive by there about 10 times each week, and every time I look at it, I want to scream!:)

Since I know her, I've even thought about saying something about not mowing so short, because she is going to totally wipe out the grass in the nice part of the yard with some hot and dry weather, but, then, I think, if she doesn't care, why should I?

Patriot Services
06-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Nope, its business. Don't let it get to you. Write off and move on. More fish in the sea.
Posted via Mobile Device

QualityLawnCare4u
06-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't say a word to her. It used to bother me to lose one now it barely fazes me. They come and they go, its just business. I try and do the best work I can do no matter if the yard has beautiful grass or all weeds I give it my 110%. No matter how hard we try we are going to lose some. Don't give it a second thought and move on.

Lawn Officer
06-05-2011, 10:29 AM
In the beginning, it used to really bother me, and I would take it personally. But after having been in business now for several years, you learn to let such things roll off your back. Some customers, no matter how good of a job you do, will sell you down the river for the low-baller flyer hanging on their door. It's part of being in business. Still can bug me though.

Lawn Officer
06-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Okay, I lied. It bothers me enough to drive me to murder by mulching. :hammerhead:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2r3b2x3.jpg

205mx
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I hang flyers on the door sometimes. What's so wrong with that? If I'm driving from house to house and see a lawn that is extremely tall, I'll hang a flyer. So what?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cummins343
06-05-2011, 12:19 PM
unfortunately I think this is going to be a more reoccurring event as the year continues on.

Lawn Officer
06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I hang flyers on the door sometimes. What's so wrong with that? If I'm driving from house to house and see a lawn that is extremely tall, I'll hang a flyer. So what?
Posted via Mobile Device

I said "low-baller flyers" - there's a difference. Here in Minneapolis, we have some startup company offering to mow 1/4 acre lawns for $18.95. In fact, there's a thread here at this forum dedicated to this same company and it's ridiculously low offers. Mowing for $18.95? Fall Cleanups for $59.99? Yeah, right. That's what I meant by "low-baller flyers."

Some of my customers have been solicited by this outfit. Fortunately, most of my customers recognize the value and quality of my services and are willing to pay a fair price for it. If the customers bails ship for such nonsense, then in my opinion, they deserve one another. Just my take.

205mx
06-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh! Lol. My bad bud. That's crazy. $18? That sounds like somethin my 15 year old brother could do for some extra cash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
06-05-2011, 02:23 PM
When you lose a property for whatever reason, and the person now mowing does a crappy job?

No can't say that bothers me in fact I am delighted to see crappy work on ex clients. You hate to say it but you get to know some one long enough there is always some bad blood. My partner bugged the hell out of me a few years back wanting to solicit ex customers. So I finally gave in and we compiled a list of names of one time customers and those we fired and those that moved those that fired us you name it. Total came to about 275 names then we went down the list name by name and debated each one on weather we wanted them back. Our new improved list was under 10 names :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: hes never asked to do that again.