PDA

View Full Version : Striping kit

POWER STROKE
06-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I am thinking of making my own striping kit, I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on what stripes best a rubber one or the rolling kind. TIA for any input.

360 Lawn Service
06-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I tried a roller from Jungle Jims. This roller was junk. I installed rubber material of the back engine shroud on my Bad Boy. It about 1/4" off the ground on level concrete. Works great!
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-05-2011, 12:34 PM
http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/products/58390-trustripe-lawn-striper.aspx

Check this out. It's spendy but you could make one. Anybody else shop at Power Equipment Warehouse, I really like them.

MJB
06-05-2011, 01:09 PM
They also have some good video of the equipment they sell. So you can see it work before purchasing it.

tm14930
06-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Here's a whole thread on the topic of making roller type lawn rollers, and building examples. starts in '07 but also has current posts.

H\http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192602

POWER STROKE
06-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your input and info. I went with the rubber kind, I started it today and got off to a good start just gotta paint it and I'll be all set. I will post pics when I finish it. Thanks again for your help.

rwreuter
06-05-2011, 11:58 PM
http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/products/58390-trustripe-lawn-striper.aspx

Check this out. It's spendy but you could make one. Anybody else shop at Power Equipment Warehouse, I really like them.

That is one expensive piece of rubber!!!;)

POWER STROKE
06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
As promise guys here should be a pic of the finish product, I went with a rubber striper all I got to do is paint it. I should have some pics of the stripes tomorrow. Thanks to every one for your help and input.

blk90s13
06-09-2011, 11:45 PM
waiting to see the stripes pictures

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-10-2011, 12:09 AM
if the rubber flexs to easy wont make a nice stripe a stiffer rubber works best 1/2'' thick

POWER STROKE
06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
if the rubber flexs to easy wont make a nice stripe a stiffer rubber works best 1/2'' thick

I know I'm looking for a thicker rubber but can't find them any where.I got this one from Menards about 1/4-3/8 Thick.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-10-2011, 12:36 AM
I know I'm looking for a thicker rubber but can't find them any where.I got this one from Menards about 1/4-3/8 Thick.

Horse stall mat works will 1/2'' Farm/Home store here sells for 40

Hell on Blades
06-10-2011, 05:11 AM
You could try a mudflap from the local truckstop.

The best I ever saw was a guy that got a hold of a roller from a conveyor company. He got it cut to match his 33" troy built and then had bearings pressed in. The best stripes I've EVER seen.

Diddy
06-11-2011, 12:31 AM
I tried a roller from Jungle Jims. This roller was junk. I installed rubber material of the back engine shroud on my Bad Boy. It about 1/4" off the ground on level concrete. Works great!
Posted via Mobile Device

where did you get the rubber material at?

jslawncare22
06-11-2011, 12:41 AM
I just made a stiper 2 day for my deere I used a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe and some plastic edging I got from a job I will try it out tomorow & post picks if it works
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-11-2011, 12:42 AM
You might be able to bolt a heavy chain across the bottom for to make it stripe better. I mounted mine close to the ground so I could use softer rubber. But each machine is different.

flatlander42
06-11-2011, 01:06 AM
just here for pics....

jetedwardz
06-11-2011, 09:38 AM
awesome quote flatlander

icobob
06-11-2011, 09:48 AM
MJB , I would love it if you could post pics of yours as I have the same mower. Also, could you tell me at what position are your rear scalp wheels set at. Mine are on the highest and scalps sometimes coming out of ditch onto the road.

MJB
06-12-2011, 01:02 AM
MJB , I would love it if you could post pics of yours as I have the same mower. Also, could you tell me at what position are your rear scalp wheels set at. Mine are on the highest and scalps sometimes coming out of ditch onto the road.

My rear scalp wheels are in the same position from the factory. I raised the front ones 1 hole. No scalping issues. Hows your pitch?
THE PICS ARE HERE

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=350956&page=3

jslawncare22
06-12-2011, 01:21 AM
I just made a stiper 2 day for my deere I used a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe and some plastic edging I got from a job I will try it out tomorow & post picks if it works
Posted via Mobile Device

here is what i came up with its simple and worked out ok i just used pvc pipe zip ties and a piece of plastic edging and atached it to back of mowing deck .,i need get the steering fixed on mower it pulls to the left for some reason any idea why ?

jetedwardz
06-12-2011, 09:18 AM
if u use self tapper metal screw and some decent sized washers itll increase the rigidity of the plastic. instead of zip ties.

icobob
06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks MJB. Think I will try that. Dont know which holes they were in from factory, I bought it used and the back are in the top and I have a 1/4 in. pitch. It only scalps coming from the yard to the road, not a huge problem. Just got the mower and still trying to figure some things out. Came off a Hustler Mini Z and will give the handling to it. Like everything else about the BB.

MJB
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks MJB. Think I will try that. Dont know which holes they were in from factory, I bought it used and the back are in the top and I have a 1/4 in. pitch. It only scalps coming from the yard to the road, not a huge problem. Just got the mower and still trying to figure some things out. Came off a Hustler Mini Z and will give the handling to it. Like everything else about the BB.

I think the rear scalp rollers are in the center hole. I don't need the rear as low because the back of the deck is higher than the front by about 3/8" on mine. I raised the front ones so I would see less of the scalp rollers in my stripe. When I cut 3 " or below I see the scalp roller line more so than cutting higher, but I never raised them yet. I looked at some old pictures I took that I can not upload and the rear rollers are in the 2nd hole from the bottom I assume that is the center hole because I never get that far under it to look.

jslawncare22
06-12-2011, 01:03 PM
With the deck being lower in the front dos that make the stripe more noticeable ? And how dos it affect cut quality I figure it would just push the grass down in stead of cut it
Posted via Mobile Device

jslawncare22
06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
if u use self tapper metal screw and some decent sized washers itll increase the rigidity of the plastic. instead of zip ties.

I have a couple bolts holding the plastic to the pipe I didn't want to use any thing that has a point on it incase it works loose and it could flaten my tire
Posted via Mobile Device

360 Lawn Service
06-12-2011, 01:44 PM
where did you get the rubber material at?
Tractor supply horse stall mat. About 3/4" thick, very rigid and takes a beating. I will post pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Schuley
06-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I went to the "farm & Fleet" or what ever you have around you for a farm type store. I bought some baler belting. (like for a hay baler) they sell it by the foot. I think I paid $2/foot, so everything cost me $16. Its 1/4" thick 2 ply rubber with the thread reinforcement in it. They have 4" wide and 10" wide. I bought the 4" wide stuff and doubled it up to make 1/2" thick. I then hung it from the rear tie down handles. It works pretty well, but could be a bit heavier, i'm going to add some weight somehow, I though of adding a piece of metal to the bottom edge, but fear it might tear the inside of the tires. Thinking about bolding a piece of chain, or just another strip of rubber on it. Its pretty stiff, but still flexible and won't mark things up like concrete.

MJB
06-12-2011, 05:48 PM
With the deck being lower in the front dos that make the stripe more noticeable ? And how dos it affect cut quality I figure it would just push the grass down in stead of cut it
Posted via Mobile Device

Most all mowers come that way from the factory, when they start cutting bad usually besides blades, or buildup under the deck, it's not enough pitch. 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower in the front works best. Improves the cut, and the stripe.

MJB
06-12-2011, 05:57 PM
I went to the "farm & Fleet" or what ever you have around you for a farm type store. I bought some baler belting. (like for a hay baler) they sell it by the foot. I think I paid $2/foot, so everything cost me $16. Its 1/4" thick 2 ply rubber with the thread reinforcement in it. They have 4" wide and 10" wide. I bought the 4" wide stuff and doubled it up to make 1/2" thick. I then hung it from the rear tie down handles. It works pretty well, but could be a bit heavier, i'm going to add some weight somehow, I though of adding a piece of metal to the bottom edge, but fear it might tear the inside of the tires. Thinking about bolding a piece of chain, or just another strip of rubber on it. Its pretty stiff, but still flexible and won't mark things up like concrete.

That looks good, but it would work a lot better if you came off the frame with one solid piece. If you have room drill 2 holes and bolt the flap to the frame. Your losing the stiffness of the rubber by hinging it on those loops. Also you might need to cut the corners off a little so it won't tear up grass turning. Adding weight might help some , let us know how it turns out.

Schuley
06-12-2011, 07:10 PM
That looks good, but it would work a lot better if you came off the frame with one solid piece. If you have room drill 2 holes and bolt the flap to the frame. Your losing the stiffness of the rubber by hinging it on those loops. Also you might need to cut the corners off a little so it won't tear up grass turning. Adding weight might help some , let us know how it turns out.

Its a work in progress....
I agree with losing the stiffness by it being hinged on the loops, I was thinking the weight of it would compensate for the loss of stiffness. It acually is pretty heavy... I was trying to avoid drilling into the frame.... but might have to. I have some short pieces left still to play with mounting. I also might try to use some springs from a tine dethatcher for some stiffness. I'll keep updating...

jslawncare22
06-14-2011, 08:15 PM
what am i doing wrong ????? i have adjusted the deck pitch " droped 3/8 in. from what it was and installed the strongest piece of rubber i could find i cut up a old car tire and i still cant stripe

how are you adjusting the deck pitch is there something im missing ?
im bout to give up on the stripes

MJB
06-14-2011, 10:29 PM
what am i doing wrong ????? i have adjusted the deck pitch " droped 3/8 in. from what it was and installed the strongest piece of rubber i could find i cut up a old car tire and i still cant stripe

how are you adjusting the deck pitch is there something im missing ?
im bout to give up on the stripes

Maybe a picture would help us to see what your doing. Also does the grass even stripe in Va.? Don't put in more than 1/2 inch or your middle blade will cut shorter than the rest.