PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use K&N filters in their mowers?

Richard Martin
06-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I recently installed their part number E-4961 lifetime air filter in my Dixie. It seems like a pretty decent filter and it is cleanable and reusable forever. It actually cost me less than the same normal paper filter that I got at NAPA last time. My filter doesn't use oil so I just clean it, dry it and reinstall it.

http://www.knfilters.com/images/m/E-4961.jpg
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-4961

They have a whole bunch of them now for Donaldson, Honda, Kawasaki, Kohler, Briggs and a whole host of other engines.

http://www.knfilters.com/industrial.htm

This is an excellent way to save money on maintenance.

ffemt1271
06-05-2011, 12:17 PM
the red color you see on the filter is oil, when you wash it out it will be bluish purple, the oil is red so you can tell when it's covered when you re-oil it.

Richard Martin
06-05-2011, 02:06 PM
the red color you see on the filter is oil, when you wash it out it will be bluish purple, the oil is red so you can tell when it's covered when you re-oil it.

Not on the new outdoor filters. They do not use oil.

ffemt1271
06-05-2011, 02:10 PM
might have to pick some of them up then...thanks for the info

ProStreetCamaro
06-05-2011, 02:19 PM
I am glad I looked at what they are made of before I commented. Reason being is the cotton gauze oiled type for automobiles absolutely suck. They allow so much dirt to pass through that oil analysis often shows higher wear numbers when a car or truck is equiped with a K&N filter. BUT these small engine filters are made of a non woven synthetic material. I suspect they are manufactured for K&N by donaldson which manufactures the worlds finest air filters (Amsoil air filters are made by donaldson and are fantastic). If this is the same material in these as the donaldson and amsoil filters then I would install one in a heartbeat.

Ridin' Green
06-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Hey, thanks for the heads up!
I've used them on several different vehicles and dirt bikes (and still do), but didn't know they had a non oiled filter for outdoor equipment. I will be checking into them for my machines.

Ridin' Green
06-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I am glad I looked at what they are made of before I commented. Reason being is the cotton gauze oiled type for automobiles absolutely suck. They allow so much dirt to pass through that oil analysis often shows higher wear numbers when a car or truck is equiped with a K&N filter. BUT these small engine filters are made of a non woven synthetic material. I suspect they are manufactured for K&N by donaldson which manufactures the worlds finest air filters (Amsoil air filters are made by donaldson and are fantastic). If this is the same material in these as the donaldson and amsoil filters then I would install one in a heartbeat.

The cotton ones only suck when the person who owns it fails to maintain it properly. When used correctly, they work great, and have always seemed to show improved gas milage in my vehicles.

Richard Martin
06-05-2011, 02:39 PM
I am glad I looked at what they are made of before I commented.

:):):):):):):)

ProStreetCamaro
06-05-2011, 02:49 PM
The cotton ones only suck when the person who owns it fails to maintain it properly. When used correctly, they work great, and have always seemed to show improved gas milage in my vehicles.

The horror stories with actual analysis data to back it up over on bobistheoilguy.com has swayed me completely away from K&N filters for cars and trucks. These guys are anal about there auto's and getting the best life and fuel economy out of them. The amsoil filters flow just as good but they filter better than anything on the market and they dont use oil. They clean up just by vacuuming the outside of blowing them out from the inside. They are made of a synthetic micro fiber.

On a side note I know guys that use no air filters and have never had an engine failure. So....................................... :drinkup:

Ridin' Green
06-05-2011, 02:54 PM
On a side note I know guys that use no air filters and have never had an engine failure. So....................................... :drinkup:

That's just a matter of time.:nono:

I am simply pointing out that the K&N filters work fine if used correctly, which they aren't 90% of the time (I'd guess).

I am not opposed to using something better if I can get my hands on it.:)
If that be Amsoil or something else, I'm in.

soloscaperman
06-05-2011, 03:01 PM
They make one for a 2008 Kohler 27HP Exmark Lazer HP??

Richard Martin
06-05-2011, 03:52 PM
They make one for a 2008 Kohler 27HP Exmark Lazer HP??

Does it use the Donaldson filter? The filter will look like the one pictured in my first post.

soloscaperman
06-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Yup I have the same setup.

Richard Martin
06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Yup I have the same setup.

As long as the outside diameter is about 4-1/8" then the E-4961 is the one you're looking for. I got mine from AJ USA.

http://www.ajusa.com/details/index/0/KNF/0/KNF+E-4961

Snapper Jack
06-05-2011, 04:19 PM
On a side note I know guys that use no air filters and have never had an engine failure. So....................................... :drinkup:[/QUOTE]
There's a sprint race car track in Greenville,Tn that would take those non-air filtered engines out in just 30 minutes. K&N has been producing cotton filters for decades used by Top Drivers in all forms of motor sports racing and have used them in all my motorcycles engines with no failures what so ever:nono:

soloscaperman
06-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Well it's commonesense that if a filter breathes better it may introduce a little more debris. As long as you change your oil and filter you should be fine since that's what an oil filter is there for.