PDA

View Full Version : Favorite trimmer line and why?

Ridin' Green
06-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Title says it all. I would like to know other members favorite trimmer line, brand, type, size etc.

I have had great luck with Oregon Gator Magnum .095" (the type with the Aramid chord running through it), in both hex and square configurations. It seems to last longer than everything else I have tried, especially along chainlink fencing, and it cuts through tough weedy foilage like a blade.

ffemt1271
06-05-2011, 02:03 PM
been using shindaiwa .095 for 9 years, i'm swapping over to SHIHL equipment but will most likely stay with this line. (FYI i soak the spool in a bucket of water over the weekend once a month and it keeps it super limber and not as prone to breaking)

G. Ramey
06-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I am useing Shindaiwa .095 this year. Last year I used Shindaiwa .105, but bought a Stihl trimmer head that wont accept .105. I used the Stihl .095 earlier this year until someone stole it off my trailer. I tried two different Husqvarna lines last year, but it was to brittle and didn't last long. I always go back to Shindaiwa line it seems to be the best all around line.

Poontamer
06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
That line thats black with swirls,nothing better IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
06-05-2011, 03:34 PM
we started using stihl .095 square this year for regular service and .105 on our 223L and 323L husqvarna's we went to stihl after our sprial line from husqvarna hit 85.00 per 5 lbs at the dealer and the stihl was 2 miles down the road at a Co-Op for 42.50 per 5 lbs spool and the .105 is round and only for cemetery and wigh wear jobs

GrandMaster
06-05-2011, 05:27 PM
been using shindaiwa .095 for 9 years, i'm swapping over to SHIHL equipment but will most likely stay with this line. (FYI i soak the spool in a bucket of water over the weekend once a month and it keeps it super limber and not as prone to breaking)

I have found ecco .95 at home depot the best price and durability for most 21-23cc trimmers. I also like shind .80 for trimming not around hard items>

elitefox
06-05-2011, 08:34 PM
That line thats black with swirls,nothing better IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

+10, I can't believe no-one else said it. its called vortex line and hands down NOTHING is better

GrandMaster
06-05-2011, 09:16 PM
+10, I can't believe no-one else said it. its called vortex line and hands down NOTHING is better

Its good but no good enuf for the cost! Hands down ecco

topsites
06-05-2011, 11:17 PM
.080 round

Because I have pounds and pounds and pounds (and pounds and pounds and pounds) of it.

The Captain
06-05-2011, 11:55 PM
.095 Echo "Crossfire". Been using it for as long as I can remember, but I carry some samples of other brands (collected at GIE-Expo) in case of emergencys.

1993lx172
06-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Echo .095 Crossfire here.

tuffram
06-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Stihl .095 X line I have tried it all and this stuff is awesome.

lawnboy dan
06-06-2011, 07:35 AM
armold extreme-nothing better

grass_cuttin_fool
06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
ultra cut made by shakesphere...also the line from walmart is made by shakesphere also...good line for the cost

Ridin' Green
06-06-2011, 04:44 PM
ultra cut made by shakesphere...also the line from walmart is made by shakesphere also...good line for the cost

Hey bro, I love your signature line! Good for you. Enjoy every minute with him. I can no longer do that and it sucks.

ProStreetCamaro
06-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Echo .095 crossfire. Used it for years with out issue.

flatlander42
06-06-2011, 08:48 PM
I like the stihl orange line....Smooth round line. I think it is .095....but w/o running outside I can't be for sure.

The twisted, star shaped, square shaped...ect. seems to pull downward into the grass and not be as sensitive as just the normal smooth round line.

A-1 LAWN
06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I like the stihl orange line....Smooth round line. I think it is .095....but w/o running outside I can't be for sure.

The twisted, star shaped, square shaped...ect. seems to pull downward into the grass and not be as sensitive as just the normal smooth round line. same here.cant remember what size,but the stihl orange works great!

GlynnC
06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Title says it all. I would like to know other members favorite trimmer line, brand, type, size etc.

I have had great luck with Oregon Gator Magnum .095" (the type with the Aramid chord running through it), in both hex and square configurations. It seems to last longer than everything else I have tried, especially along chainlink fencing, and it cuts through tough weedy foilage like a blade.

Gator Magnum .095 round gets my vote for regular trimming, square when the going gets tough!!!!!

Will P.C.
06-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I use the Stihl .95 round commercial line. I remember buying a 5lb thing of for 10 dollars from a dealer who was cutting Stihl from there inventory.

elitefox
06-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Its good but no good enuf for the cost! Hands down ecco

Its the cheapest string I can buy here in missouri. echo doesn't make one good product. I personally don't have to time to restring my weed eater head every other day. It's the most annoying part of the job, restringing half way through a yard. Plus once you price the new head replacement, because you have to tap it on concrete/hard surfaces not to leave circles in the grass, you too will step up to a stronger better string. Life is short so work smart, not hard.

flatlander42
06-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Its the cheapest string I can buy here in missouri. echo doesn't make one good product. I personally don't have to time to restring my weed eater head every other day. It's the most annoying part of the job, restringing half way through a yard. Plus once you price the new head replacement, because you have to tap it on concrete/hard surfaces not to leave circles in the grass, you too will step up to a stronger better string. Life is short so work smart, not hard.

What are you using for a trimmer that is that hard to string up a head? put the twine in your back pocket and I can do it in 30 seconds to maybe a min IF I'm dinkin around!

I replace the spool in my fs110r about once a year. And for the first time I replaced the little flat plate that holds the spool in about a week ago.

streamlight2
06-07-2011, 01:14 AM

Yeah the .095 vortex line is good it's made by Rotary for part #12161

lawnboy dan
06-07-2011, 07:01 AM
i agree the echo head is easy to load. i can do one faster than a shin speed feed head

Snapper Jack
06-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Its the cheapest string I can buy here in missouri. echo doesn't make one good product.
I thought the same thing until I bought some Echo Cross Fire .095 line today. I was totally blown away how it performed compared to other lines I've bought in the past. No more overtime on the auto-feed,no more split ends and no more scalping,just a great product!

Tofutti
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
.080 round

Because I have pounds and pounds and pounds (and pounds and pounds and pounds) of it.

+1 on the .080 round.... We also have lots and lots of it, at very little cost, BUT trimming-wise, you can let a LOT of it out and not overwork your engine/clutch (thus cutting down your hours "trimmer-mowing" areas) AND it's big enough to cut anything you're trying to trim, but not big enough to cause much damage to something you're not trying to hit. Also, when you hit the ground, there's not enough kinetic energy to scalp it a whole lot and whatever objects it throws will either be small enough to not do damage and/or will simply be too small to travel far. There is something to be said about small line... Also about not always running your trimmer at WOT (But that's an whole 'nother argument..). If we need larger line to cut REAL heavy stuff, we have two other 30+cc Machines dedicated to .130 line for brush cutting. Works better and cheaper than any blade system I've seen.

RLS24
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I use the .095 Echo Crossfire line. Loads in the Echo trimmer spools easily and works fine for my application. The 3lb spools are pretty cheap from Home Depot when they are on sale too, I go through about 1 3lb spool a year.

flex deck
06-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Once upon a time, I was sharpening my mower blades, and "fairy god mother" of stringtrimmer line tapped me on the shoulder and said "Why do you think a thin edge on your mower blades is good, yet you put thick line on your trimmers?" With that she planted the thought that perhaps I should investigate some "Maxi Pro Commercial .065 string. Upon her insistance and guidance, I trudged to my local true value store and purchased a "trial package" of "Maxi Pro Commercial .065 string, opened it up, and wrapped an empty spool.
1. The spool held twice as much string.
2. My Stihl trimmer became more than the beast is always was. - Grass melts in front of the Thin-Sharp like string.
3. Reload times take no longer, and are much farther apart.

Thanks, Brad

flatlander42
06-07-2011, 10:30 PM
sooooooooooooooo, what's your reason for the user name?

Once upon a time, I was sharpening my mower blades, and "fairy god mother" of stringtrimmer line tapped me on the shoulder and said "Why do you think a thin edge on your mower blades is good, yet you put thick line on your trimmers?" With that she planted the thought that perhaps I should investigate some "Maxi Pro Commercial .065 string. Upon her insistance and guidance, I trudged to my local true value store and purchased a "trial package" of "Maxi Pro Commercial .065 string, opened it up, and wrapped an empty spool.
1. The spool held twice as much string.
2. My Stihl trimmer became more than the beast is always was. - Grass melts in front of the Thin-Sharp like string.
3. Reload times take no longer, and are much farther apart.

Thanks, Brad

flex deck
06-07-2011, 11:30 PM
sooooooooooooooo, what's your reason for the user name?

That is a long and old story on this site. Trying to explain it would result only in sceptisism and problems, so I will not go there. Accept it for what it is. Thanks, Brad

Mickhippy
06-08-2011, 12:44 AM
3.3mm Diamond Edge. Can split at the end when doing woody 1/2" type weeds but have found it best. Need 27cc plus trimmer to run it though.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BULK-DIAMOND-EDGE-BRUSHCUTTER-CORD-3-3mm-205mtrs-/160588937765#ht_704wt_1141

XLS
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Where is a .065 line avalible if not at True value We have used .065 in the past but i cant get it anywhere In large quanities.

We came across a pallet of it back 8 years ago and the spools were much larger then the standard 5lbs ones but i am not sure of the weight the diamiter was close to 12'' I gave 5.00 per spool at a auction after no bids . I would love to get the large spools again .....it would beat going through 80- 5 lb spools a year

Craig T
06-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm using Rino Tuff heavy duty from Shakespeare .095 from Home Depot. This line holds up great when trimming or edging. It does leave a nice cut when blending grass in. Was using the Square Magnum from Oregon and prefer the Rinio over it. The best line which I can't find and believe is no longer available was Suffix......

elitefox
06-11-2011, 07:26 PM
What are you using for a trimmer that is that hard to string up a head? put the twine in your back pocket and I can do it in 30 seconds to maybe a min IF I'm dinkin around!

I replace the spool in my fs110r about once a year. And for the first time I replaced the little flat plate that holds the spool in about a week ago.

I agree.. Restringing a trimmer head should take under 30 secs, even for a first timer. Still annoying regardless of the time it takes.

I'm using Rino Tuff heavy duty from Shakespeare .095 from Home Depot. This line holds up great when trimming or edging. It does leave a nice cut when blending grass in. Was using the Square Magnum from Oregon and prefer the Rinio over it. The best line which I can't find and believe is no longer available was Suffix......

Rhino Tuff is BY FAR the noisiest and least durable string you can buy. They make it sound great on the outside of the package. I went right back to home depot after only one yard and took it back. That god awful string wasted my time and sounded like I was trimming with a wiffle ball bat.

GrassGuerilla
07-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I've been doing foreclosed properties for several years now. Square Gator Magnum in .105 in a Husqvarna T-35 head on a Redmax trimmer holds up really well under the worst conditions. For lighter or weekly trimming, I run an echo with the U-turn head with .095 Crossfire. When the U-turn head wears out, the Echo will likely get a T-35 head too (28 feet of .095 is hard to beat).

The Redmax trimmer running the .105 square mag gator is a spectacle to behold in tall weeds. I've had many people stop to ask "what kind of weed wacker IS THAT?" Tall weeds, grass, even saplings (typically anything smaller than your finger) are pulverized. Many heads struggle to feed "shaped" line in my experience, often jamming or "welding". The Husqvarna T-35 is inexpensive, holds a lot of line, and feeds .105 square very well. The round stuff seems to be just as tough, but the square seems to cut cleaner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
07-08-2011, 02:22 AM
I have found ecco .95 at home depot the best price and durability for most 21-23cc trimmers. I also like shind .80 for trimming not around hard items>

AAAUUUGGHHHHH!!!:gunsfirin I just had the worst week with the echo line in my fs130 broke soooo much I had to open the head 8 times avg. per property went today and got a spool of gator.95 and love it! never shop at home cheapo again!

Agape
07-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Hey bro, I love your signature line! Good for you. Enjoy every minute with him. I can no longer do that and it sucks.

I think it's wierd that your father is also your brother:confused:

cheapcuts1
07-08-2011, 06:37 AM
.95 Cable Twist by redmax and tanaka

Ridin' Green
07-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I think it's wierd that your father is also your brother:confused:

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Your dad can be your "brother in arms" so to speak, at least if you do everything together-work, play, etc.

If you are both Christians, then your dad is most definately your brother (heavenly brother, with God as your heavenly father), and that's exactly the case for my dad and me.:)

BestImpressions99
07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Sucks because Home Depot is the only one that carry's .095 locally. As long as it's .095 I'm happy with it.