PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Compared a Next Lazer and JD 900

GravelyGuy
06-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I currently have a 2009 Next Lazer. I love everything about it except how it mows wet grass. I can live with this if I have to because it is an awesome mower, but I would consider JD for my next mower. The Exmark would become my secondary/backup. The last time I demoed a JD was in 2007 and it was pretty good in wet grass. It rained the couple of days I had it so I never got to really try it out under dry conditions. I think the deck is basically the same between 07 and now?

How is the 900 series handling, ride (no suspension seat:cry:), hill performance, etc? Are the JD hydros as smooth as the Exmarks?

ProStreetCamaro
06-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I currently have a 2009 Next Lazer. I love everything about it except how it mows wet grass. I can live with this if I have to because it is an awesome mower, but I would consider JD for my next mower. The Exmark would become my secondary/backup. The last time I demoed a JD was in 2007 and it was pretty good in wet grass. It rained the couple of days I had it so I never got to really try it out under dry conditions. I think the deck is basically the same between 07 and now?

How is the 900 series handling, ride (no suspension seat:cry:), hill performance, etc? Are the JD hydros as smooth as the Exmarks?

Come on now why not a new Gravely? The X-Factor deck is fantastic. But my next machine will be a JD Z900 60" due to dealer service and loaner mowers and such. No other dealers around here will let you demo or give you a loaner during a break down.

GravelyGuy
06-05-2011, 02:58 PM
[U]Come on now why not a new Gravely? The X-Factor deck is fantastic. But my next machine will be a JD Z900 60" due to dealer service and loaner mowers and such. No other dealers around here will let you demo or give you a loaner during a break down.

I have a 34Z and a 2007 Gravely 260Z with the Xfactor that is my current backup. Im giving up on Gravely for the same reason, lost my dealer.

I will be selling my 260Z here soon. It looks/runs like new if you have any interest!

GravelyGuy
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Anyone run both?
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
06-06-2011, 05:16 PM

In '07 when you demo'ed the John Deere was it the 700 series or did they have an '08 800 series available? If it was the 700 series, the deck now is going to be the next series deck, the 7ironPRO and not the 7ironII on the 700 series mowers. If it was an 800 series, it will have the same deck that is on the 900 series. A couple differences between the 7ironII and 7ironPRO deck are the updated/improved baffles and added deck support.

I can only compare to a Toro ztr but the hydros are just as smooth and the ride just as comfortable. Deere does offer a suspension seat kit which is actually pretty nice (I have tried one out at the dealer) and you can still dial it into how firm you want the suspension. I didn't try the Toro on a hill but my 925 is pretty stable on hills, I have no problems with it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help with info specific between Deere and Exmark.

ProStreetCamaro
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Anyone run both?
Posted via Mobile Device

I am setting up a demo on a Z925a in the next week or so so I will be able to tell you how it compares to both of our current X-Factor decks. My xfactor deck will clump a little in the wet but oddly it does not clog up to where it needs to be scraped. Turn the blades off in a safe area and bounce the deck and it all falls out. Does yours do the same thing?

GravelyGuy
06-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys. The one I demoed was a 700 series. I see now that Deere has a suspension seat.

My 260 never requires scraping either. It does stay clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cooter
06-06-2011, 11:03 PM
We have ran both. Had a 2010 Lazer Z 52". Replaced it with a Z950. The Deere hydros are ok but not smooth as the Exmark. Handling ok on both units but I give the Exmark the edge on hills. I think all these new machines with the no flat tires ride rough as heck. The brake n go on the Deere is a good feature. Both great machines, but for me we had to be able to cut wet grass and the Deere is the best there is. I also dint like the same size frame on all Deere machines. What good is a 48" or 54" if it is just as long or not any more compact. Only smaller deck. The Deere suspension seat is ok, the same platform other makes also sell to go under the existing seat. Ok if you don't mind sitting up 4 more inches.

GravelyGuy
06-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Thank you Cooter. Everything you said was what I was thinking from what I know now. The parking brake does look very nice on the Deere. I think the R&D that went into the exmarks is hard to beat, even by JD. Exmark didn't need to add a cast iron bumper to help add weight for handling.
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
06-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Cooter, I forgot to ask. How would you compare the dry grass cut between the two?
Posted via Mobile Device