PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Wright Stander Review

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I bought a new stander at the beginning of the year. Payed 8 thousand and change...I think like $8300 with tax and a bagger. 52 inch 23 kawi.

One thing to note is that I do not personally run this machine constantly but I do hop on it from time to time.

The Good
The machine....looks like it is built like a tank. Front casters, deck, 12cc hydro pumps...just a beefy machine.

Plenty of power. No issues here even in wet grass....very little bogging. We bag everything so you do have to go a bit slower.

Manueverability...very good and the machine is fast. Still cut at normal speed but we do a lot of subdivisions with multiple houses so it flys from house to house.

Comfort.. The spring loaded platform absorbs bumps very well. Very comfortable machine to run.

Striping....leaves very nice stripes, no stripe kit

Hills....This thing is a billy goat. I would say it is as good as a walkbehind on a hill....only advantage to the walk behind is if it starts to go you can just muscle it

The bad....unfortunately it is the most important thing to me..the cut. I am not sure why this is such an issue for wright. This machine does not leave a great cut. I called my dealer and he said they started using the new decks after I bought mine:hammerhead: It just leaves little stringers or stragglers no matter how slow you go. Cutting with sharp blades and the deck is pitched properly.

We have several machines and this hands down leaves the worst cut(keep in mind, it stripes nice but the cut is sub par IMO) I have owned and run just about every mower brand. I bought an everride scorpion last year 52 23 kawi...it is not as beefy, does not hold hills as well but the cut is definitely better. Scags we have are also hands down better cuts and this was kind of sinking feeling last week. A guy who has worked for me for years asked if he could run a 2001 bobcat 48 walkbehind instead of the brand new machine(less than 60 hours):cry::cry:

the reason...I can cut faster if I dont have to go over it twice....

Keep in mind... I am very picky/anal about how we leave things....I know 95% of guys wouldn't probably go back over what we would. Most of our accounts are high end have come to expect a high level of service....I just won't leave them.

Anyways...the deck is adjusted properly, the blades are sharp, I really believe it is just the design.

In hindsight...I would should have given up the hill abilities and maybe gone with a v ride.

Anyone who tries to convince me that the v ride is better on hills(i bleed orange and have tested them side by side....they aren't)

Efficiency
06-05-2011, 02:56 PM
You're right. The wright deck sucks. I had two at one time and dumped them cheap when nothing made them cut better. I had a series of PMs here with JimV where he admitted that when they first introduced the stander they didnt engineer their deck, they just coppied another deck that seemed popular at the time. The cut has always been their Achilles heel IMO.

Greenery
06-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Have you tried some high lift blades? I use the scag brand high lifts.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Have you tried some high lift blades? I use the scag brand high lifts.
Posted via Mobile Device

They have this weird looking redesigned blade. I will try switch out the blades...

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 03:53 PM
You're right. The wright deck sucks. I had two at one time and dumped them cheap when nothing made them cut better. I had a series of PMs here with JimV where he admitted that when they first introduced the stander they didnt engineer their deck, they just coppied another deck that seemed popular at the time. The cut has always been their Achilles heel IMO.

Did you ever try high lifts? I have several sets...maybe I will try that.

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm on straight high lifts now with my grandstand, I like the cut better but I'm noticing a lot of stringers also. I'm not so sure it's a deck issue with either the Wright or Toro, it seems more and more to be a standup issue?

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm on straight high lifts now with my grandstand, I like the cut better but I'm noticing a lot of stringers also. I'm not so sure it's a deck issue with either the Wright or Toro, it seems more and more to be a standup issue?

We do not have that issue with an everride scorpion and have had great dane surfers in the past that also did not have that issue. I can't speak for the toro but the more I read about the wright I feel like it is the machine. The reason why I stayed away for years was the cut quality. I was told that the deck was changed and the cut was better. I didn't realize that I wasn't getting the new deck or else I wouldn't have bought it. I took the machine out at the very beginning of the growing season and it seemed to cut fine. The grass was not thick or long at the time. It really wasn't a fair test for the machine....Lesson learned:hammerhead::cry:

GrandMaster
06-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Thats why you should have gone grandstand turbo force decks are top notch! I have one wright still trying to kill it so I can replace it with another stand 6 total now! Lov'em some of the slopes and areas we mow would blow your mind as to how fast and clean also.:usflag:

GrandMaster
06-05-2011, 05:24 PM

I run stock bagger blades on most of mine never have stragglers...? Maybe your biting to much and not having correctly sharpend blades... The baffle is best a hair past b setting

THG
06-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I bought the 2011 Stander X (for hills as well) but it has the new deck and the cut quality is very good. I would say the cut quality is as good as the velocity deck on Scags. I also have and love Scags but for hill / slope mowing, the V-Ride doesnt come close.

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I bought the 2011 Stander X (for hills as well) but it has the new deck and the cut quality is very good. I would say the cut quality is as good as the velocity deck on Scags. I also have and love Scags but for hill / slope mowing, the V-Ride doesnt come close.

They told me that the X wasn't as good on hills. They said that it was better than the RH but not as good as the fixed. I thought the deck was the same:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:Now they are the same..I guess I was a month late.

GMLC
06-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Im considering going from walkbehinds to standers next season and will start my research soon. I am worried about hills though. Wright, Scag, Exmark and Toro are the ones I want to demo. Do you think Wrights new deck will compare to the velocity and turbo force decks? I too am very picky when it comes to cut quaility as well as discharge preasure as I hate clumping and clogged decks. Something always tells me to stay orange but I wouldn't be doing myself any justice unless I demo all of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

THG
06-05-2011, 06:07 PM
GMLC,
Demo all of them on the slopes before you buy and you will see just how different they all handle slopes. I actually like the V-Ride and Grandstand and am a Scag fanatic but for my demo's, I took those three to my most challenging spot to mow and the Wright was the only one that would hang onto the hill and make turns easily. If I was mowing all flat areas then I would have probably gone with the V-Ride only because I am biased but the Grandstand performed just as well on flat ground.

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 06:10 PM
GMLC,
Demo all of them on the slopes before you buy and you will see just how different they all handle slopes. I actually like the V-Ride and Grandstand and am a Scag fanatic but for my demo's, I took those three to my most challenging spot to mow and the Wright was the only one that would hang onto the hill and make turns easily. If I was mowing all flat areas then I would have probably gone with the V-Ride only because I am biased but the Grandstand performed just as well on flat ground.

I agree with this^^^ i didnt try the grandstand though

THG
06-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Netpatsfan,
Before I bought mine, I looked at a post from Wright on here where they rated hillside performance. Wright put the ZK first followed by the Stander X which is why I demoed and bought the Stander X. I really dont know what is different about the new deck as I am totally new to Wright but the cut is very good so far on mine.

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I run stock bagger blades on most of mine never have stragglers...? Maybe your biting to much and not having correctly sharpend blades... The baffle is best a hair past b setting

Biting to much? not sure what you mean? Could be a blade thing it didn't seem to be near as bad on new blades, I started with the standard blades that came with it they have one sharpening on them I really don't know how to sharpen the blades good so I took them to the dealer to have them sharpened and installed the factory high lifts in the mean time, I also have a mulch kit installed, but from what I'm reading that doesn't seem to be an issue.

GMLC
06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks THG this info is very important coming from another Scag fan as we all know how good the velocity deck is. Wright must have done some serious r&d on the new deck. You and nepatsfan have the same opinion on hills so I already have a head start thanks to the both of you. I will definatley demo them all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Golfpro21
06-05-2011, 06:35 PM
I would try cutting without the mulch kit..........bet there is a big difference.
We use a sentar and get a pretty good cut...but if anything builds up inside the deck we get straglers.......we have a husqvarna mower with mulch kit and it sucks...took the mulch kit off and its a beautiful cut
Just a thought....take the mulch kit off.....put gater mulching bades on...my sense is you will see a better cut

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 06:40 PM
I guess I should have bought the X. I also should have done more of my own research instead of relyiing on the dealer's word. We are so busy and I needed another machine....(I was starting another crew and needed another machine) I did look into it some but I guess not enough. I did read that the new stander was getting the new deck. I had read(I think in your post thg about the deck being like the scag)that the new standers were getting the new deck. Like I said...when I demoed it the grass was still kind of dormant.....and it wasnt that great where I cut. It seemed good and I thought the deck was good and the new one. In fact until I called I thought I had the new deck. He told me they just started putting them on the fixed deck machines.

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 06:40 PM
I would try cutting without the mulch kit..........bet there is a big difference.
We use a sentar and get a pretty good cut...but if anything builds up inside the deck we get straglers.......we have a husqvarna mower with mulch kit and it sucks...took the mulch kit off and its a beautiful cut
Just a thought....take the mulch kit off.....put gater mulching bades on...my sense is you will see a better cut
for

That will be my next step thanks! But Gator blades? I'm told they are great for leaves not so much for grass.

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 06:41 PM

We dont run a mulch kit. We bag everything...fluid film the decks and scrape if they build up

Nevermind...I see that was for cp

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 07:12 PM
We dont run a mulch kit. We bag everything...fluid film the decks and scrape if they build up

Nevermind...I see that was for cp

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

No worries...I dont put a whole lot of stock in "hijacking" a thread. If you are standing around shooting the sh*t with a few guys and someone brings up something else do you yell at them not to hijack the conversation? I just thought he was talking to me and realized he wasn't:drinkup:

Not to mention...you are brining up perfectly relevant things to the topic anyways....I honestly wouldnt care if you didnt though

GrandMaster
06-05-2011, 09:23 PM
for

That will be my next step thanks! But Gator blades? I'm told they are great for leaves not so much for grass.

Gators are a waste of money trust me. Not all that good for leaves or grass. The stock high lift are best for bagging. For mulching we notch out the stock bagging blades kind of like rambos back side on his bowie knife. With 3/8 inch gaps to shred grass and stop lift.

GrandMaster
06-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Test the grandstand and the wright make your call out of these too. The others are a waste of time really. Just what I think. I dont have many flat ground areas to mow.

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Gators are a waste of money trust me. Not all that good for leaves or grass. The stock high lift are best for bagging. For mulching we notch out the stock bagging blades kind of like rambos back side on his bowie knife. With 3/8 inch gaps to shred grass and stop lift.

The ones I have are notched out on the back side, I'm sure they are stock toro blades, Well I know they are, I looked them up on the toro site to make sure they were high lift blades.

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 10:01 PM

The ones I have are notched out on the back side, I'm sure they are stock toro blades, Well I know they are, I looked them up on the toro site to make sure they were high lift blades.

LawnGuy73
06-05-2011, 10:26 PM
We bought two Stander zk this spring. One 61/31, and one 52/27. I started s thread saying how great they were and so on, I spoke to soon. Don't get me wrong we like the machines, but the cut quality is sh!t.

So I feel your pain, in my opinion for an $11,000 machine, or two in this case I should be able to bolt three plastic spoons under there and have a perfect cut..... jmo.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 10:40 PM
We bought two Stander zk this spring. One 61/31, and one 52/27. I started s thread saying how great they were and so on, I spoke to soon. Don't get me wrong we like the machines, but the cut quality is sh!t.

So I feel your pain, in my opinion for an $11,000 machine, or two in this case I should be able to bolt three plastic spoons under there and have a perfect cut..... jmo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow....It seems like that is the consensus on these machines.:hammerhead: I feel for you on buying two. Thinking about the one I bought turns my stomach and I wasted less than half of what you did.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
So how does one differentiate the old Wright deck from the new?

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 10:43 PM
So how does one differentiate the old Wright deck from the new?

Not sure....I thought all the 11's had them

LawnGuy73
06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Wow....It seems like that is the consensus on these machines.:hammerhead: I feel for you on buying two. Thinking about the one I bought turns my stomach and I wasted less than half of what you did.

Ya, well we have been running all Wright Stander since 2001. So I never thought twice before buying two more this spring, my fault I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

THG
06-06-2011, 12:52 AM
I know that the ones with the new deck have the new gas tanks on them. The tanks with the fuel gauge and and the cap at 45degrees versus flat on top but I am not sure of the deck design look. If I get a chance, I will post a picture of mine that has the new deck to see if you can tell any difference from above the deck.

LawnGuy73
06-06-2011, 06:30 AM
I know that the ones with the new deck have the new gas tanks on them. The tanks with the fuel gauge and and the cap at 45degrees versus flat on top but I am not sure of the deck design look. If I get a chance, I will post a picture of mine that has the new deck to see if you can tell any difference from above the deck.

Is yours the x, or the normal Stander?
Posted via Mobile Device

olde_blue
06-06-2011, 07:21 AM
The new deck has two big notches in the front of it, making it oddly shaped, and the front edge is sloped like a Scag deck, only not as sharply. The trim side is straight instead of curved (a major problem, from my point of view, since the edge will catch on fences, etc.) Someone posted pictures of the bottom of the new deck under a thread about the Stander X. It looks like it uses a similar wavy baffle to the old deck, but it is much cleaner (all the attachment bolts are in front of the baffle). I've only seen the new deck on the X.

THG
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Epic Lawn Care,
Mine is the X.

LawnGuy73
06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Epic Lawn Care,
Mine is the X.

That's what I thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

WJC
06-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I remember reading your post about how much you liked the ZK and now you're not happy? what changed?

nepatsfan
06-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I remember reading your post about how much you liked the ZK and now you're not happy? what changed?

Cut quality. Seems that is how a lot of people feel.

LawnGuy73
06-06-2011, 11:15 PM

I spent some time on it. As I stated above the cut quality is complete crap, I love almost everything else about the machine.

Totally clean under side of deck and brand new Scag high lift blades and still cuts like a 1993 Craftsman mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

WJC
06-06-2011, 11:30 PM
I have a wright mower also, and when I look at the deck design I cant figure out why it doesnt cut very good. I like everything about the mower but tired of double cutting every single lawn. So I'm hoping the new deck truly is better. I thought that the ZK deck being deeper would be an improvement but I guess not.

RLS24
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
I just bought a new Stander. Seems to be the same as yours except I have the 48" deck (appears to be the same design) and an FX 24hp motor. I absolutely LOVE the mower, but there are 2 major complaints about the deck I also have. First is that in really thick grass it seems like the clippings have a hard time getting out. It sounds like a mulcher, and you have to stop and shut the PTO off and it will puke out a HUGE pile of wet clumped grass. Whenever I go to scrape the deck though, there hardly anything caked up under there.

The second Issue I have is the stragglers like others have said. Again, this seems to only happen in wet, tall grass. It seems to do a mowhawk, and leave a nice stripe of uncut or partially cut grass down the middle. But, I noticed if I slow down, it doesnt do it. Keep in mind, that we have had RECORD rainfall this spring, and almost everything I've been cutting has been WAY,WAY overgrown and very WET. This past week, the lawns have been drying out nicely and now that I've been able to cut some dry, normal mowed height grass, I find that I can go full speed and it doesnt miss a blade of grass. To date I have about 22 hrs on the machine.

mdlwn1
06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Wright standers have been known for these problems from day one. You have to go really slow. Honestly surprised that people still buy them considering how open and well known this info is.

WJC
06-07-2011, 07:20 AM
I just bought a new Stander. Seems to be the same as yours except I have the 48" deck (appears to be the same design) and an FX 24hp motor. I absolutely LOVE the mower, but there are 2 major complaints about the deck I also have. First is that in really thick grass it seems like the clippings have a hard time getting out. It sounds like a mulcher, and you have to stop and shut the PTO off and it will puke out a HUGE pile of wet clumped grass. Whenever I go to scrape the deck though, there hardly anything caked up under there.

The second Issue I have is the stragglers like others have said. Again, this seems to only happen in wet, tall grass. It seems to do a mowhawk, and leave a nice stripe of uncut or partially cut grass down the middle. But, I noticed if I slow down, it doesnt do it. Keep in mind, that we have had RECORD rainfall this spring, and almost everything I've been cutting has been WAY,WAY overgrown and very WET. This past week, the lawns have been drying out nicely and now that I've been able to cut some dry, normal mowed height grass, I find that I can go full speed and it doesnt miss a blade of grass. To date I have about 22 hrs on the machine.

Is yours a stander x or just a stander?

RLS24
06-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Is yours a stander x or just a stander?

Just the Stander

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=221461&stc=1&d=1305664406

nepatsfan
06-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Just the Stander

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=221461&stc=1&d=1305664406

If nothing else it looks like a nice machine:laugh: