PDA

View Full Version : MUST have a non stick deck!

Agape
06-05-2011, 07:12 PM
OK, after trying various things, including a $8 can of graphite spray from the john deere dealership(have not found fluid film in my area yet), a small engine mechanic buddy of mine suggested waxing the bottom of the deck with carnuba wax, so I pressure washed the decks of my hondas and waxed the bottoms of the decks with turtle wax, we'll see how it goes.....

rwreuter
06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
hmm, interesting idea

93Chevy
06-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Fluid film is probably your best option. You can order it online from a couple sponsors who advertise on this site.

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 07:23 PM
OK, after trying various things, including a $8 can of graphite spray from the john deere dealership(have not found fluid film in my area yet), a small engine mechanic buddy of mine suggested waxing the bottom of the deck with carnuba wax, so I pressure washed the decks of my hondas and waxed the bottoms of the decks with turtle wax, we'll see how it goes.....

John Deere is a fluid film dealer. If they dont have it, they can get it.

Agape
06-05-2011, 07:35 PM
John Deere is a fluid film dealer. If they dont have it, they can get it.

actually, they had it but the guy said it didn't work for that, and sold me the graphite spray, but if you guys say it works, i'll get it.

I slathered the turtle wax on and rubbed it in good, then hit it lightly with the pressure washer. It beaded off nicely so we'll see.:confused:

Agape
06-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I just sold my exmark and my old honda commercial so both my HRC's are a month off the showroom floor or less so I went ahead and cleaned the tops as well and waxed the tin and the top of the decks as well. ( puuurdy!) and the water beads nicely off it too and it's slick to touch, so I need some more rain??:laugh::nono:

Puddle of Oil
06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
fluid film doesn't do crap under the deck!

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Funny I was looking for a place to buy some fluid film as I ran across this thread LOL I saw mowpart.com sales it but it cost $11 to ship it that's more than the can itself LOL.

LawnGuy73
06-05-2011, 08:08 PM
After 13 years in this business I haven't found anything that works under the deck.

Nothing at all! A lot of products with a lot of empty promises out there and trust me nothing works as its said too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
06-05-2011, 08:10 PM

Turtle wax....nooooooooooooooo....that's going to slow you wayyyyy down!

UfoPilot
06-05-2011, 08:19 PM

:laugh::laugh:

Wax gets sticky when it gets hot. So does silicone.

Tape a wire brush to the top of each blade maybe ? :dizzy::drinkup::dancing:

underPSI
06-05-2011, 08:57 PM

I agree. Don't waste your money. Fluid Film is nothing more than a spray lubricant that doesn't even deliver impressive results.

grassman177
06-05-2011, 08:59 PM
i think it does deliver results, just not as a deck coating. tried it several times, one day or two tops of any kind of benefit

Will P.C.
06-05-2011, 09:01 PM
I like Fluid Film and will always have a can of it. I do not think it works for decks either. I do not think anything will work. Way too many clippings and speed for anything to work.

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I tend to agree with the fluid film on the decks also. We use it and it works for a very short period of time. I spent so much damn money on it that i have to use it now...lol. I bought two gallons and a case of cans. It does work well for a lot of things though

cajuncutters
06-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Just use Pam nonstick spray

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I tend to agree with the fluid film on the decks also. We use it and it works for a very short period of time. I spent so much damn money on it that i have to use it now...lol. I bought two gallons and a case of cans. It does work well for a lot of things though

Whenever I want to try a new product I only buy a can or so for testing, that way I don't get that sinking feeling when it doesn't work.

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Whenever I want to try a new product I only buy a can or so for testing, that way I don't get that sinking feeling when it doesn't work.

I did....a couple days later I went and stocked up. I thought it was great right off the bat. It does work for a few days. Just so happened it was absolutely torrential rains like two days after I fluid filmed the first deck and I decided I had better get over there while I have time. Trial run kinda thing. I drove like 40 minutes to the JD dealer and went hog wild when I got there. Im impulsive for sure. I had been reading on here how great it was for years also. I thought it was a slam dunk. I still use it for tons of stuff. We still periodically fluid film the decks. If nothing else it will keep them from rusting.

ashgrove landscaping
06-05-2011, 09:44 PM
After 13 years in this business I haven't found anything that works under the deck.

Nothing at all! A lot of products with a lot of empty promises out there and trust me nothing works as its said too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly!! If you re working 6 days a week, there s nothing that will keep up with that pace of grass.

Hawkshot99
06-05-2011, 09:49 PM

I got a sample can of the stuff on here when the rep was on here. Sprayed it on once, and did not see any difference at all.

cpllawncare
06-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I did....a couple days later I went and stocked up. I thought it was great right off the bat. It does work for a few days. Just so happened it was absolutely torrential rains like two days after I fluid filmed the first deck and I decided I had better get over there while I have time. Trial run kinda thing. I drove like 40 minutes to the JD dealer and went hog wild when I got there. Im impulsive for sure. I had been reading on here how great it was for years also. I thought it was a slam dunk. I still use it for tons of stuff. We still periodically fluid film the decks. If nothing else it will keep them from rusting.

Honestly, I have done that exact same thing, I just don't have the money now to be so impulsive LOL

Darryl G
06-05-2011, 10:28 PM
A little off topic but as far as Fluid Film goes......I think it's what I need for my truck frame. It's a 2003 Silverado and it's just starting to show signs of rust. That's the kind of thing it's made for, right?

Agape
06-05-2011, 10:30 PM

:laugh: lol! I meant wabbit wax!!

nepatsfan
06-05-2011, 10:32 PM
A little off topic but as far as Fluid Film goes......I think it's what I need for my truck frame. It's a 2003 Silverado and it's just starting to show signs of rust. That's the kind of thing it's made for, right?

It will stop the rust but you have to keep coating it. I would spray some undercarriage stuff.

Turf Commando
06-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Tried every deck spray (fluid film) silicone sprays, oil based products nothing stops grass build up. My dealer said don't waste your money in search of perfect product, if paint can't hold up under deck neither will fluid film..

Going back to the putty knife only pay once use it everyday..

Darryl G
06-05-2011, 11:02 PM
It will stop the rust but you have to keep coating it. I would spray some undercarriage stuff.

OK, messy stuff :( I'm either gonna do it nekkid or wearing rags, lol

topsites
06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Do you wash and wax or Fluid Film the undercarriage of your truck?

Why not, it might get dirty and obstruct the smooth flow of air which could affect your truck's fuel mileage!

That having been said I'm having a hard time believing your claim of being in business 11 to 20 years,
you'd have the inclination to even want to fool with what you speak of...

I haven't washed a mower in years, much less scraped the underside of a deck,
how many years does it take for folks to figure out it don't make no dang sense?

LawnGuy73
06-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Do you wash and wax or Fluid Film the undercarriage of your truck?

Why not, it might get dirty and obstruct the smooth flow of air which could affect your truck's fuel mileage!

That having been said I'm having a hard time believing your claim of being in business 11 to 20 years,
you'd have the inclination to even want to fool with what you speak of...

I haven't washed a mower in years, much less scraped the underside of a deck,
how many years does it take for folks to figure out it don't make no dang sense?

I'm confused....

You don't do any maintenance on your mowers?

Or, am I missing something here?

hackitdown
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I gotta say, I never wash my mowers. I scrape a little under the deck when I remove the blades. Overall, it seems like a waste of time.

GordonCBP
06-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Try MDI Product's MO-DECK, we sell a lot of this product and people come back and buy more. You have to clean the deck properly and make sure its bone dry before application. REMEMBER all these products dont keep your deck looking like showroom condition after use! It stops the grass clippings from caking to the deck, and hardening. This makes the job of cleaning easier instead of using a pressure washer and putty knife everytime!

LawnGuy73
06-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Try MDI Product's MO-DECK, we sell a lot of this product and people come back and buy more. You have to clean the deck properly and make sure its bone dry before application. REMEMBER all these products dont keep your deck looking like showroom condition after use! It stops the grass clippings from caking to the deck, and hardening. This makes the job of cleaning easier instead of using a pressure washer and putty knife everytime!

It doesn't even do that. Like I said before, ALL of these products are a waste of money!
Posted via Mobile Device

Snapper Jack
06-07-2011, 08:21 PM
It doesn't even do that. Like I said before, ALL of these products are a waste of money!
Posted via Mobile Device

Have to agree with you on this. The deck will either make a cake,clog or not :laugh:

grassman177
06-07-2011, 09:24 PM
still agreeing with that all those products dont work very long and hence become money wasted cuz of time and material involved with the upkeep to get any benefit.

i did it on a nearly new mower, only lasted a couple of days and was just like all the other mowers. in the end, they dont need it anyways.

WJC
06-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I feel the same way!

underPSI
06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
The solution to the problem has already been posted.

if paint can't hold up under deck neither will [insert product here].

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 10:20 PM
You mine as well just drive down the road and throw 8 bucks out of your truck window, Thats what your doing if you buy FF to coat the decks.

flex deck
06-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I used to run the yellow JD decks, and had V's between blades, and the back shallow sections of the deck fill up. Went to the 7 iron decks, and all that is a thing of the past. The baffle design, and the depth of the back give it all the air it needs to clean itself. We start most days in the dew and a bit of grass may stick, but as soon as it dries out, the deck ends up shiny as a new dime. There are no V's, as the left V is replaced with a baffle, and the two right blades have no problem keeping that part of the discharge absolutely clean. I do not believe there is a product out there that can cover for poor design.

Hell on Blades
06-07-2011, 11:56 PM
I've had good luck with Fluid Film, but I reapply every 2-3 yards.

nepatsfan
06-08-2011, 06:30 AM

You think that is worth it?

GordonCBP
06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
"If used regularly" this means 1 can a day, I guess it would work just fine but... after 2 weeks and $119 I think I would pass. Unless of course I have sooo much money that I dont know what to do with it.

Dano50
06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't use an aerosol can of Fluid Film for a deck application. I'd use a gallon can and a paint brush. I've heard good enough reports to validate the claim. If I thought it didn't work, I'd never recommend it for that application. Get it as clean as possible and put on a good coat with a paint brush. After a few applications it will really absorb into the metal and ease the grass buildup.

LawnGuy73
06-08-2011, 03:35 PM

JESUS!!!! :eek::eek:

Thats got to be costing you a fortune just in FF, not to mention labor costs.

Dano50
06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I know people that are only using it once a month or once every other month. From what I understand (remember, I don't have any practical experience), it has to do with the first few initial applications. Get the deck as clean as possible, then put on a good coat with a brush. Do this a few times and you will build up a nice coating and won't have to reapply as often.

Big Wes
06-08-2011, 04:33 PM
As stated earlier, the best way is to jack your mower up, remove your blades, lay on your back and use a 5 in 1 tool/scraper to scrape the stuff off from under your deck. re-sharpen or replace your blades, re-assemble blades to deck. Go out mow, make money 2 weeks later repeat the procedure.

Its been working for me this way for 21 years.

LawnGuy73
06-08-2011, 07:19 PM
As stated earlier, the best way is to jack your mower up, remove your blades, lay on your back and use a 5 in 1 tool/scraper to scrape the stuff off from under your deck. re-sharpen or replace your blades, re-assemble blades to deck. Go out mow, make money 2 weeks later repeat the procedure.

Its been working for me this way for 21 years.

Same here, but its once a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
06-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't use an aerosol can of Fluid Film for a deck application. I'd use a gallon can and a paint brush. I've heard good enough reports to validate the claim. If I thought it didn't work, I'd never recommend it for that application. Get it as clean as possible and put on a good coat with a paint brush. After a few applications it will really absorb into the metal and ease the grass buildup.

Exactly what we do with questionable results. Works good for a couple days......if that

underPSI
06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I know people that are only using it once a month or once every other month. From what I understand (remember, I don't have any practical experience), it has to do with the first few initial applications. Get the deck as clean as possible, then put on a good coat with a brush. Do this a few times and you will build up a nice coating and won't have to reapply as often.

You sell the stuff. Of course it works.

Well, until you posted that you've actually never tried it yourself. Now you have no credibility. I'll be honest I was not impressed with FF just as a simple lubricant. Thanks for the free sample, though. Boeshield lasted three times longer. The guys telling you it works under a deck of a lawn mower is feeding you a line of crap. My guess is you are a good salesman and the guys feed into your sales pitches.

Again, if paint won't last.....

dishboy
06-08-2011, 10:59 PM
FF was a joke IMO.

Dano50
06-09-2011, 10:56 AM
There have been a few threads talking about Fluid Film that were positive enough to justify the mower deck application. I'm not sure if it's mowing conditions, type of equipment, or type of grass that give mixed results, but what I do know is that it works quite well for some.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316179&highlight=fluid+film+deck

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=305984&highlight=fluid+film+mower+deck

Meg-Mo
06-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Try the MEG MO blades. Very few have every returned a set because the deck got pluged up

Lawn Pawn
06-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Not a solution but it helps me.....

Mist on some WD40 after cleaning the decks...
Yes... you still get some build up of grass. However it drops off pretty easy and scraps off very easily down to the bare metal and or paint next time you clean.

Makes my life easier... so I do it. Maybe not for you?

LawnGuy73
06-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Try the MEG MO blades. Very few have every returned a set because the deck got pluged up

I don't know that differnt blades are going to keep grass from sticking inside of the deck.

TheGoat
06-10-2011, 04:32 PM

oil does not absorb into metal.

ever.

93Chevy
06-10-2011, 08:18 PM
oil does not absorb into metal.

ever.

Fluid Film isn't oil, but thanks.

UfoPilot
06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Have you tried Jello?

THEGOLDPRO
06-10-2011, 11:19 PM
I have a hard time believing ff will absorb into the metal as well lol,

Get Some...
06-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Yes... you still get some build up of grass. However it drops off pretty easy and scraps off very easily down to the bare metal and or paint next time you clean.

Now that's a good idea.......:)

Will P.C.
06-10-2011, 11:56 PM

This is probably the best results you will get. Obviously nothing will prevent buildup, but only make it easier to remove

LawnGuy73
06-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Fluid Film isn't oil, but thanks.

FF soaks into metals???
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg78
06-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Yeah how do they keep it in the can???????

Agape
06-11-2011, 10:42 AM

well DUUHHH!!!, that's why you hot glue the sponges to the deck. sheesh....

93Chevy
06-11-2011, 11:15 AM
FF soaks into metals???
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. It's wool wax (lanolin) based...not petroleum based.

nepatsfan
06-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Does wool wax(lanolin) soak into metal???Not being wise but it doesn't make sense to me either.

93Chevy
06-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Does wool wax(lanolin) soak into metal???Not being wise but it doesn't make sense to me either.

Actually, no, lanolin doesn't soak into metal.

Fluid Film's manufacturing division, marketing team, and customers are all in collusion to lie to new customers about the ability of the product to soak into metal.

nepatsfan
06-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Actually, no, lanolin doesn't soak into metal.

Fluid Film's manufacturing division, marketing team, and customers are all in collusion to lie to new customers about the ability of the product to soak into metal.

well that isn't right

Meg-Mo
06-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Meg Mo since we invented the Meg Mo blades have stood behein our product and if we can not make you happy we refund your money. I have not heard one word about all the thing that only work a little yo give you money back. We have been out with the MEG MO blades for over 18 years and we have over 99.6 % happy customer base and make over 2000 different blades so can fit a lot of different mowers.

Aaronnc
06-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Has anyone tried the Dupont Silicone/Teflon PTFE stuff yet?
http://www.compacc.com/p/Dupont-Pure-Silicone-Lubricant-with-Krytox-PTFE-Spray

I know if they ever find a way (they're working on it) to turn buckyballs
( Buckminsterfullerene C60) into a lubricant, it's supposed to be a serious game changer for everyone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene

One scientist said that the only way he knew how to describe it was that it made Ice on Ice look like sandpaper on tissue paper. Now that's some slippery stuff.

LawnGuy73
06-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Meg Mo since we invented the Meg Mo blades have stood behein our product and if we can not make you happy we refund your money. I have not heard one word about all the thing that only work a little yo give you money back. We have been out with the MEG MO blades for over 18 years and we have over 99.6 % happy customer base and make over 2000 different blades so can fit a lot of different mowers.

Once again.

How can a blade, or in this case your blades keep grass from collecting on the top of the underside of the deck?

Meg-Mo
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
With the Meg Mo blades the air flow is just in the out side 5" not like the OEM style blades where air is up or down from the center of the spindle to the out side. When the air flow is up and grass is there it go up to stick to the deck. This is just one of the thing that the Meg Mo blades will do for you.

Agape
06-12-2011, 09:50 PM
It only collects in the outside 5"!!!!!!!!!!!! ya Jackwagon!!

Dano50
06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
We actually have seen steel slabs cut out of ballast tanks where the product had seeped 3-4 inches into it.

yardguy28
06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
there are 6+ pages on this topic of finding something to keep grass from sticking under the deck.

how about old fashioned hard work with a putty knife each night. do it every night and it's not that bad.

i don't bother looking for sprays or films to keep grass from building up underneath my deck. i just go home after work every night and take my small putty knife and scrape the deck clean. i'm under there changing blades any way.

some nights, mostly in the middle of summer the stuff is stuck on a little bit and you gotta work to get it off. other times, like the spring the stuff is all moist and falls right off. my middle summer there is hardly any grass build up in the first place. it's mostly the spring you gotta worry about build up and thats when its always all soft and falls right off.

but to each his own i guess. but i think i'll stick to laying uder the deck scraping instead of wasting my time trying to find something to spray on it so i don't have to do that.

Az Gardener
07-31-2011, 01:05 AM

Does the WD 40 have any effect on the lawn? I would be concerned about itbrowning out the turf

GrassGuerilla
07-31-2011, 07:51 AM
I hear Bad Boy mowers have Teflon coated decks made of inobtainium... They have inherent properties, too slick to stick.

I have a visual of all you fellas scraping your decks, sprinkling fairy dust. Re-applying the "magic lube" every 2-3 lawns... Really? I think some of you need a girlfriend.
Posted via Mobile Device

gravelyman50
07-31-2011, 08:11 AM
i dont know about you guys, but for me, its the type of grass i mow that pluggs up my deck. Any type of fine fescue, or ryegrass, bluegrass, i can mow all day and be fine.

But i mowed a lawn the other day that was solid crabgrass and forget it.. I think i took three passes and deck was already plugged, barely discharging, every once in a while it would throw up big chucks of grass. I dont think it helped that it was a little wet also.

WJC
07-31-2011, 11:19 AM
i dont know about you guys, but for me, its the type of grass i mow that pluggs up my deck. Any type of fine fescue, or ryegrass, bluegrass, i can mow all day and be fine.

But i mowed a lawn the other day that was solid crabgrass and forget it.. I think i took three passes and deck was already plugged, barely discharging, every once in a while it would throw up big chucks of grass. I dont think it helped that it was a little wet also.

Thats pretty much it. Crabgrass is what clogs up my deck too, the other grasses do too but not nearly as bad.

Agape
07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
there are 6+ pages on this topic of finding something to keep grass from sticking under the deck.

how about old fashioned hard work with a putty knife each night. do it every night and it's not that bad.

i don't bother looking for sprays or films to keep grass from building up underneath my deck. i just go home after work every night and take my small putty knife and scrape the deck clean. i'm under there changing blades any way.

some nights, mostly in the middle of summer the stuff is stuck on a little bit and you gotta work to get it off. other times, like the spring the stuff is all moist and falls right off. my middle summer there is hardly any grass build up in the first place. it's mostly the spring you gotta worry about build up and thats when its always all soft and falls right off.

but to each his own i guess. but i think i'll stick to laying uder the deck scraping instead of wasting my time trying to find something to spray on it so i don't have to do that.

Well Yardguy, we're always looking for ways to save time on our scedule, we invented the gas powered mowers to save time over the push reel mowers and we're still trying to tweak it, but I agree, if I have to get under for aa tiny bit of scraping- it's the same as scraping a lot, but a lot may inhibit the mowers abillity to bag???

jvanvliet
07-31-2011, 12:43 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

RIGHT! Nothing like putting the front wheels up on the ramps and hitting the deck with a high pressure hose.

As long as I got the hose out, I hit the cooling fins on my engines as well.

jvanvliet
07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
I hear Bad Boy mowers have Teflon coated decks made of inobtainium... They have inherent properties, too slick to stick.

I have a visual of all you fellas scraping your decks, sprinkling fairy dust. Re-applying the "magic lube" every 2-3 lawns... Really? I think some of you need a girlfriend.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I get a girlfriend, I can still use the "magic lube" right?

Ridin' Green
07-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Nothing will stick under a deck for long. All the coarse/sharp edged grass blades and weeds are like spinning a scotchbrite pad around under there.

The easiest way to clean the underside of the deck is to save your weediest lawn for last. I have one that has a spot where there's nothing but tall coarse weeds, no real grass. I run over that area, and even though the underside may have been coated with wet sticky grass from the god part of the lawn, the weeds knock about 90-95% of it off, and since it does it gradually, there's never a large deposit that ends up in one spot. It just spreads out all over nice and even.

Same thing with leaves in the fall. The underside of the deck looks like it was sand blasted clean from mulching oak leaves.

Agape
07-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Pine cones & puddles!

Ridin' Green
07-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Nothing will stick under a deck for long. All the coarse/sharp edged grass blades and weeds are like spinning a scotchbrite pad around under there.

I was referring to no type of solvent/fluid etc. They all get blasted away soon after turning on the blades.

Az Gardener
08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
No answer on the WD 40 effect on turf???

I have noticed that on my dump trucks that have new paint in the bed, the debris slides out much easier. So my thought is a good coat of paint on the underside and reapply monthly or as needed.

To take it a step further how about a good coat of wax on top of the new paint??

I know my trailers are easier to keep clean when they are waxed regularly.

93Chevy
08-03-2011, 06:49 PM
No answer on the WD 40 effect on turf???

I have noticed that on my dump trucks that have new paint in the bed, the debris slides out much easier. So my thought is a good coat of paint on the underside and reapply monthly or as needed.

To take it a step further how about a good coat of wax on top of the new paint??

I know my trailers are easier to keep clean when they are waxed regularly.

Coat your dump beds with fluid film...it's better than wax and will last longer.

Dano50
08-04-2011, 10:09 AM
coat your dump beds with fluid film...it's better than wax and will last longer. :) :) :) :)

JDiepstra
08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
:) :) :) :)

Youll notice the fluid guy put smiley faces but did not confirm it was true.

Dano50
08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I prefer to let the actual users of the product talk it up. It carries more weight than if it comes from the Fluid Film guy.

Oh, and yeah, it works! :)

Lawn Pawn
08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I prefer to let the actual users of the product talk it up. It carries more weight than if it comes from the Fluid Film guy.

Some of the reps get jerked with kinda bad here.

My two cents says Fluid Film.... the thick stuff in the gallon cans... And Sea Foam gas treatment.... are two of the best products EVER ! Do they do all they claim.... heck no.. but what product does. My life would be a little tuffer without either one of these.

Never even heard of them until a few years ago. Way to keep a secret.

But hey... that's only my personal opinion.

yardguy28
08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
i just use elbow grease. not sure where i ever bought it at but i have a lifetime supply.......

93Chevy
08-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Youll notice the fluid guy put smiley faces but did not confirm it was true.

Why the heck would he have to confirm it's true? Everybody rips on reps for talking up their product. Dan lets the user talk up the product and now you're ripping on him for that? He doesn't have to confirm it's true. I'm not making any money for talking up Fluid Film so I have no reason to lie about it.

Dano50
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks Tim! :drinkup:

MS_SURVEYOR
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I wasn't going to post but! I own 2 mowers. One is a 52 inch BB Pup. The other is a older 46 inch Sabre lawn tractor, that I put a new deck on it 2 years ago. Got the deck and BB at almost the same time. The first of the mowing season last year, about the first of May. I cleaned the deck and sharpened the lawn tractor. I gave it a good spraying of Fluid Film. I did the same thing with the 52 inch ztr deck. But I didn't use Fluid Film. We had a wet spring. Then a drought. Then rain again. The first of July I serviced the lawn tractor. Drove it up on ramps to scrape the deck clean. WHAT? The deck was clean and shinny! No buildup or rust. I mean clean. On the other hand, I've had to scrape the ztr deck just about every 5 acres of mowing. Looks like it's time for the pressure washer and Fluid Film for the ztr deck.

Fluid Film Works!
For me any way.

yardguy28
08-05-2011, 05:09 PM
it might work but i just see as money not well spent, for me anyway.

during the spring and beginning of summer i'm under the mower every evening changing blades anyway so i might as well scrape the deck clean.

if i only changed my mower blades once a week like i know some people do then sure i'd be using it too. but since i've got the mower up on a jack and i'm laying under it anyway for the blades i might as well spend the 5 min. it takes to scrape it and do it.

save my money for beer or something. for me anyway.

Turf Commando
08-05-2011, 09:47 PM
There is no product that will make decks easier to maintain or keep paint from flaking off deck. Realisticly a basic scraper and pressure washer keeps my decks cleaner then any shelf product..

MS_SURVEYOR
08-06-2011, 01:30 AM
There is no product that will make decks easier to maintain or keep paint from flaking off deck. Realisticly a basic scraper and pressure washer keeps my decks cleaner then any shelf product..

I'm starting to think about rust? :rolleyes:

cpllawncare
08-06-2011, 08:41 AM

That's my concern with pressure washing, I don't think I'll ever take a pressure washer to my mower.

MS_SURVEYOR
08-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I did mine yesterday evening. Got all the dirt and oils from under the deck. I cut the power back and rinsed off the rest of the mower. I usually clean mine once or twice a year just to keep buildup off. The darn mower looks almost new. I just got through coating the underside of the deck with Fluid Film. I'll let it sit a day or so. There were some lite surface rust on the bare metal. I'll report back about the rust in a day or so. The thing that keeps rolling around in my head is, the cheaper deck on the Saber that was coated last year looked like a fresh opened can of tuna. Clean! No rust! Smooth to the touch. And it's mowed it's share of wet grass and weeds this year, and last year.

We'll see.

Turf Commando
08-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Ever cut wet grass?

MS_SURVEYOR
08-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Ever cut wet grass?

Yes I do. Oh it clumps and dumps. Then I have to get under there and scrape it clean. But that's been on my ztr. I never really noticed me having to scrape my lawn tractor up until now. After being under neath both of them I can say the lawn tractor deck is cleaner with no pitting as with the ztr deck has rust pitting. Oh I'm not going to say because of FF that I'll never have to clean my decks. But I do feel FF will protect the metal from rusting.

Today after treating the ztr deck with FF, I happen to look at the lugs on my trailer being rusted. So I spayed some FF on the lugs. A few hours later before going to my church I looked at the lugs. All the rust was gone, and the threads were becoming shinny as newer looking. Just my thoughts on the matter.

yardguy28
08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
That's my concern with pressure washing, I don't think I'll ever take a pressure washer to my mower.

personally the only water my mowers ever see are if i'm out mowing and it starts to rain. and the underside will see wet grass from time to time.

i never have washed my mowers. not with a pressure washer or a hose. i scrape the deck and will wipe up any oil or gas spills with rags and paper towels but thats it.

i'd rather have a long lasting machine that has as little rust as possible than have the cleaniest machine on the market.

after all they are used to cut grass. and they don't need to look pretty to do that.

Turf Commando
08-07-2011, 03:34 PM
After I wash deck I run blades for 3 mins or so everything is dry.. Rust forms from metal being exposed to moisture for long periods of time . Remember ''Keep it clean keep it longer''

Meg-Mo
08-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I invented the MEG MO 19 years ago and have not had to clean a deck since. We can mow wet or dry with the deck staying clean and with all the stories from you folks you have not came up with anything that will do what the MEG MO blades will do. We also will stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer and out wear 3 to 5 sets of the blades most of you are using. We also cut the grass up 4 or 5 times more and blow the grass out not throw so no lumps or clumps of grass on the grass and on a normal weekly mowing no grass showing. Then in 3 to 5 years all you will need is the knives at just $4.95@. Also the MEG MO blades are 100 % balanced when running. Try a set with a 100% money back Guarantee

yardguy28
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
After I wash deck I run blades for 3 mins or so everything is dry.. Rust forms from metal being exposed to moisture for long periods of time . Remember ''Keep it clean keep it longer''

you can keep that motto if you want. i'm not necessarly looking to keep my current equipment forever. just getting the normal life out of it.

not to mention i happen to think keep it dry keep it longer. all the electrical components and all the bearings and what not will stay in working a lot longer the less water they see.

I invented the MEG MO 19 years ago and have not had to clean a deck since. We can mow wet or dry with the deck staying clean and with all the stories from you folks you have not came up with anything that will do what the MEG MO blades will do. We also will stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer and out wear 3 to 5 sets of the blades most of you are using. We also cut the grass up 4 or 5 times more and blow the grass out not throw so no lumps or clumps of grass on the grass and on a normal weekly mowing no grass showing. Then in 3 to 5 years all you will need is the knives at just $4.95@. Also the MEG MO blades are 100 % balanced when running. Try a set with a 100% money back Guarantee

this dude cracks me up. he's in almost every thread there is trying to apply his product as every solution.

like these meg-mo blades are some magical, end all, best blade there ever is and ever will be.

got an oil leak, get meg-mo blades. grass sticking to the deck, meg-mo blades. using to much gas, meg-mo blades.

meg-mo blades aren't the answer to every problem you have. and they certainly aren't the best blade on the market. there is no such thing as a magical perfect blade.

everyone cuts different types of grass with different types of machines which requires different types of blades.

dishboy
08-07-2011, 11:42 PM

Not for long or very well if you mulch. Pretty much a waste IMO!

Meg-Mo
08-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I just cut a 5 acre field that was cut 6 weeks ago in 2 hrs and 15 minute. The grass was over a 12" long and weeds longer. No lump or clumps. The talk is you need different blades for each job but with the MEG MO blades we can take care of all the different jobs. We make over 2000 different blades so there are not many mowers we can not fit.

yardguy28
08-12-2011, 02:45 PM
meg mo may be a sponser but it's a little ridiculous the storys they are telling like the one above.

i don't wanna bash them because i've never tried them. but to be honest i wouldn't expect any blade to be able to cut 5 acres that has 6 weeks of growth on it and not leave a single lump or clump. nor do i think ANY blade or mower would be capable. not in pass.

but the only time i hear these stories about meg mo blades is from meg mo. has any user actually done any of this stuff to prove it true?